Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245749 times)

Offline TCR

• Not said much yet
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #530 on: 30 April 2019, 10:42 »
I was wondering about the tyres with the Pretoria's and if they were as suitable for daily use or if they were more track focussed?

TBH I am not sure what the Reifnitz come with as standard...

Are they Cups? If so, I'd probably not use those on the road... if nothing else, they aren't going to last long! If you get those, take em off and save them for a track day.

The prets come with the Michelin sport cup 2’s, they are fine for the road all M cars now come with them from factory also Porsche fit them to all their GT cars for the road.
The reifnitz come with Perelli PZero’s.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #531 on: 30 April 2019, 11:47 »
I was wondering about the tyres with the Pretoria's and if they were as suitable for daily use or if they were more track focussed?

TBH I am not sure what the Reifnitz come with as standard...

Are they Cups? If so, I'd probably not use those on the road... if nothing else, they aren't going to last long! If you get those, take em off and save them for a track day.

The prets come with the Michelin sport cup 2’s, they are fine for the road all M cars now come with them from factory also Porsche fit them to all their GT cars for the road.
The reifnitz come with Perelli PZero’s.

Knew about the P Zero (think they the newer Pirelli P Zero PZ4) and very happy about that as gives you half a chance - Did think the Cup 2 were more track and dry biased but if they are going on them performance cars as standard fit then that says a lot to overall abilities so sounds good and be interested to see how you find them.

If going for a FWD performance car one thing you cannot do is go cheap on the rubber thats for sure.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #532 on: 30 April 2019, 11:50 »
I'd suggest btw that anyone wanting a TCR doesn't suck air through their teeth much longer.... with Mk8 production gearing starting very soon (probably during the August shutdown), if you don't order very soon you won't get one, or at least won't get a factory order - you'll be scrabbling over whatever dealer stock is around.

I was told that all build slots are booked and its now down to finding the dealers that have some of their allocation left - Had my official confirmation Friday but was thinking I might have missed boat and would be ordering an R for reason you state, so I second that, the door is closing.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #533 on: 30 April 2019, 11:53 »
Dynamic Light Assist is where it uses a forward camera to spot oncoming traffic and mask it from the main beam.

Its a standard option on Mk7.5 performance Golfs, along with some other bits.

Thanks.

Is there any negative to spec it?  If its free I would expect it to be standard rather than a £0 cost option? Does it remove something or change something else?  Sorry if this is an obvious question...

If its zero on the config its a standard option - the configurator has always been a little buggy - go and check the standard kit list everything will be listed on there

This gives a good breakdown of whats standard on the GTI and then what the TCR adds, and then the options you can take

https://presspage-production-content.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/1397/golfgtitcrbooklet-874416.pdf?10000

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #534 on: 30 April 2019, 11:54 »
I'd suggest btw that anyone wanting a TCR doesn't suck air through their teeth much longer.... with Mk8 production gearing starting very soon (probably during the August shutdown), if you don't order very soon you won't get one, or at least won't get a factory order - you'll be scrabbling over whatever dealer stock is around.

I was told that all build slots are booked and its now down to finding the dealers that have some of their allocation left - Had my official confirmation Friday but was thinking I might have missed boat and would be ordering an R for reason you state, so I second that, the door is closing.

I'd not be surprised actually to find that the same isn't true for all Mk7's now or very soon.... I'd guess 3 months to stripping out of the Mk7 production line, which is about the limit of their forward planning....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #535 on: 30 April 2019, 15:03 »
I'd better get deciding what I'm going to do with my 7 pp. Not really feeling the mk8 shape so I'm thinking of ordering last of line 7.5 GTi or R.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #536 on: 30 April 2019, 16:37 »
I'd better get deciding what I'm going to do with my 7 pp. Not really feeling the mk8 shape so I'm thinking of ordering last of line 7.5 GTi or R.

If you’re not too fussed on spec hold out for the end of line discounts from VW that will be in addition to the dealer discounts. I got a GTD for about £21k without trying hard with the £3250 VW incentive for mk7 run out orders added to the dealer discounts. Could’ve pushed for more but had a great P/X offer using a family Mini Cooper SD to chop in against it so it made sense at the time.
Let a few dealers know your spec and get them working on group stock orders that are close to your spec. Big savings if you’re prepared to be flexible and to be honest the standard spec is so good now then what more do you need? Plus you’ll get shot of those lovely Pilot Sports!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #537 on: 30 April 2019, 16:49 »

That played heavily into my thinking, and not so much the shape, but that the drive itself would be mild evolution (would anyone notice?) and maybe some more horsepower thrown in (present BHP more than enough, certainly for me) and the revolution if we want to call it that will be in the tech of more autonomy and touch less environment (personally more averse to than attracted)

The 5 year old MK 7 GTI and R are still matching up favourably against new cars on the block, for example the A35 AMG which personally shied away from as still thought the MK 7 was the better all around car.

- Another question is how good can drives at actually get in this segment now? Maybe the hybrid would be a changer in how its harnessed and how much economy it adds as well as reducing C02 but in the actual driving experience?

The lift from the MK 6 chassis to the MK 7 was revolution, where as you think its now just going to be evolution.

So its a good argument to state the MK 7 has set the curve and is more relevant now at the end of cycle from all the linear improvements and enhancements and why go for the new when the now is still so good.

As thought so much of the present GTI and R already it became a no brainer to select the TCR given the additional TCR styling and horsepower that have become used to in my R - As always wanted a GTI it was now or never for me.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #538 on: 30 April 2019, 17:41 »
Between now and the ~2025 end of dinosaur powered cars we're going to see what?

Certainly the Mk8 will be the last chance for a petrol powered GTI I reckon.

But what will it bring to the party?

Automation is almost certainly the answer, maybe level 4. Level 5 won't happen probably before the 5G rollout, but level 4 quite possibly on the Mk8.

Of course, the basic Mk8 won't do it, not even a range topping GTI won't without paid for options. Those options are going to cost a lot I suspect - probably taking a £34k car to over £40k by the time you've added those bits.

Will the Mk8 have better grip, better balance, less weight, more power? Probably not would be my guess.

All of the new stuff will be automation....if you want it and can afford it!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #539 on: 30 April 2019, 18:08 »
I think the 8 will definitely weigh less Fred but the looks might just put people off.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.