Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245754 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #490 on: 27 April 2019, 17:44 »
Ha- Type R is cheaper than a standard TCR, let alone one that is optioned beyond standard spec on the Honda.

I appreciate the aesthetics of the Type R are "challenging", but you have to admit it is a formidable car for the money.

I would like to have seen a PP 245 Vs TCR ?

If it wasn't for the Halfords look of the R Type's exterior, If I was buying a TCR/R/R Type, the R type looks massively better in value for money stakes. Depending on whether the TCR gets access to 15% discount levels (inclusive of deposit contribution), it might end up about the same as a CarWow bought R type with 10% off list.

The R type seems noticeably better when driven in anger, but I'd bet it's harder to live with every day on the commute. On 20" wheels, even with adaptive suspension on the softest setting, I'd bet that the ride is brutally hard, and it's officially 20% thirstier.

It's a safer long term owner though - 5 year warranty as standard vs 3 years on the Golf that you can't even extend to 5 years as an option any more.

Not sure why VW decided to do that - Audi still offer factory warranty extensions to 5 years. For those that change every 3 years or less it's not a bother, but for those looking to keep longer, they're going to be repelled to another marque.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #491 on: 27 April 2019, 19:34 »
A while back I went to look at the Type R, in the metal it appeared larger than the Golf, almost Passat size in it's presence. I don't need a car any larger , so did not consider it further.

Offline sh3lldon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #492 on: 27 April 2019, 20:10 »
my build is due to start this week coming getting excited now

good to see the forum back up

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #493 on: 27 April 2019, 20:53 »
A while back I went to look at the Type R, in the metal it appeared larger than the Golf, almost Passat size in it's presence. I don't need a car any larger , so did not consider it further.

They appear longer.because they're a bit lower on the roofline, with more of a gradual rake to the back end. Looks less traditional hatchback than a Golf. There are 2 lower spec ones at my place of work, both in a metallic mid blue. They look a little less busy than the R type, but still pretty busy with all the unnecessary vents/fins.

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #494 on: 27 April 2019, 21:32 »

They appear longer.because they're a bit lower on the roofline, with more of a gradual rake to the back end. Looks less traditional hatchback than a Golf. There are 2 lower spec ones at my place of work, both in a metallic mid blue. They look a little less busy than the R type, but still pretty busy with all the unnecessary vents/fins.

While I appreciate the Type R is a bit of an animal, it looks like it was designed by a 12 year old. Also the clip doesn't show the awful, cheap, tacky plastic interior that most jap cars suffer from

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #495 on: 28 April 2019, 04:16 »
Ha- Type R is cheaper than a standard TCR, let alone one that is optioned beyond standard spec on the Honda.

I appreciate the aesthetics of the Type R are "challenging", but you have to admit it is a formidable car for the money.

I would like to have seen a PP 245 Vs TCR ?

If it wasn't for the Halfords look of the R Type's exterior, If I was buying a TCR/R/R Type, the R type looks massively better in value for money stakes. Depending on whether the TCR gets access to 15% discount levels (inclusive of deposit contribution), it might end up about the same as a CarWow bought R type with 10% off list.

The R type seems noticeably better when driven in anger, but I'd bet it's harder to live with every day on the commute. On 20" wheels, even with adaptive suspension on the softest setting, I'd bet that the ride is brutally hard, and it's officially 20% thirstier.

It's a safer long term owner though - 5 year warranty as standard vs 3 years on the Golf that you can't even extend to 5 years as an option any more.

Not sure why VW decided to do that - Audi still offer factory warranty extensions to 5 years. For those that change every 3 years or less it's not a bother, but for those looking to keep longer, they're going to be repelled to another marque.

The Honda leaves me cold. I'd feel an absolute prat getting out of something that looked like that so irrespective of whether it's good value and drives incredibly or not, I wouldn't even consider it as an option.

Interesting as a performance comparison but a bit academic as the TCR gives way on power so predictable results with straight line speeds (in Matt Prior's video). In terms of handling and ride quality, I think you're absolutely on the money with the R - it's going to be difficult to live with on 20" wheels irrespective of the best witchcraft in damping, there just isn't enough tyre wall to start with.

I agree that a PP vs TCR would have been a better comparison and I'm sure it'll surface in due course.

Didn't realise that VW were not doing factory extensions any more but it makes sense if they wish to drive sales of new cars and finance agreements. VAG group is suffering from the financial impact of the diesel cheat fines (nearly $3bn in the US alone) and that's why the rally team was pulled, why Porsche withdrew from WEC and so on. I'm sure a factor would have been the cumulative financial risk to the business in supporting the volume of 3-5 year old VW models. They will know take up and the problems they're getting under claims so maybe it wasn't seen as viable. They may have to rethink that strategy depending on the terms and economic impact of Brexit though. People may seek cheaper marques from new or retain their cars or even look to second hand cars and I doubt many would feel comfortable not having access to manufacturer warranty support if they wanted peace of mind.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #496 on: 28 April 2019, 07:48 »
The most interesting thing about the Matt Prior video was he didn’t feel the honda particularly exciting or rewarding to drive. He also didn’t find it adjustable mid- corner.
That surprised me. Either he isn’t a big fan- I think he admitted as much- or it isn’t much better as a sports car than the golf.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #497 on: 28 April 2019, 09:47 »

Didn't realise that VW were not doing factory extensions any more but it makes sense if they wish to drive sales of new cars and finance agreements. VAG group is suffering from the financial impact of the diesel cheat fines (nearly $3bn in the US alone) and that's why the rally team was pulled, why Porsche withdrew from WEC and so on. I'm sure a factor would have been the cumulative financial risk to the business in supporting the volume of 3-5 year old VW models. They will know take up and the problems they're getting under claims so maybe it wasn't seen as viable. They may have to rethink that strategy depending on the terms and economic impact of Brexit though. People may seek cheaper marques from new or retain their cars or even look to second hand cars and I doubt many would feel comfortable not having access to manufacturer warranty support if they wanted peace of mind.

I doubt VW were losing money over extended warranties. They still offer them on VWs in other markets (Germany being the prime example), and if they're priced right, there's no money to be lost.

Unless VWs are horrendously unreliable after 3 years now, not everyone taking out the warranty is going to be dipping into it - for everyone that bought a warranty extension, I would hope that only 5-10% have a need to claim on it.

It's either an administrative faff for VWUK, or maybe there's not enough margin in it for VWUK vs other options?

I think it's a dangerous game for VW UK to be playing. I think we're going to see more people who've bought outright keep their cars longer, and if there's a sting in the tail for keeping the car 5 years, people will look elsewhere for reassurance. 5 year standard warranties are becoming more mainstream now (even Alfa do it!).

Knowing that I intend to keep my 2 Polo GTI+ for more than 3 years, I'd have been tempted to switch to a new Audi A1 S-line with the GTI engine instead and buy the warranty extension.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #498 on: 28 April 2019, 10:30 »
My guess is that most Vw trade in the UK is three year pcp. The extended warranty will be underwritten by a UK insurer, maybe even actually fully provided by one. For this deal to work, the insurer will be looking for volume and I don't think Vw UK customers are providing this volume because of our love for pcp
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #499 on: 28 April 2019, 11:36 »
My guess is that most Vw trade in the UK is three year pcp. The extended warranty will be underwritten by a UK insurer, maybe even actually fully provided by one. For this deal to work, the insurer will be looking for volume and I don't think Vw UK customers are providing this volume because of our love for pcp

Volume might play a part for pulling it (a VW UK decision, as VW GmbH are still making it available for other markets), but the factory extension is (was) provided by VW directly- you could only spec it prior to delivery of your car. I recently had an extended warranty claim on the Golf - there was no authorisation required through a third party for the VW confirmed fault (complete loss of DAB signal). Work was authorised straight away and parts ordered immediately.

I wouldn't have though any more people buy Audis for longterm use than VWs, yet you can still get a factory warranty extension for your soon to be delivered Audi. Same parts, same likelihood of failure on that Audi.

I'm going right off VW for the way customers are getting treated aftermarket.

1. VW knowingly sold me my Polo with a safety design flaw middle rear seatbelt likely to detach in full occupancy (3 in the back). They were aware of this issue in April 18 and carried on building MQB A0 designated cars with the issue until October 18 (mine included). In the meantime, I was not informed not to use the middle seatbelt until a recall notice was issued in Feb 19.

2. Go to a dealership now and you're warned of the potential to be hit with a £60 diagnostic fee if they can't prove your reported fault. VW UK clearly aren't covering the diagnostic cost for a fault the car doesn't log anymore. The burden of proof lies heavily with the customer. I have an issue now with our Aug 18 Polo GTI+ - about half the time the car is started from cold, the virtual cockpit doesn't fire up, so I'm driving with no indication of speed. I have videoed the fault to safeguard me from the £60 charge when it goes in for diagnosis and fix next week.

3. Ask for a courtesy car now for a warranty claim and many dealership groups are now charging admin fees that amount to full blown rental charges. VW UK clearly aren't supporting the cost of maintaining a courtesy fleet for warranty purposes. My local Looker group want £12 a day "admin fee" for their "free" Up! courtesy cars, plus £5 a day "admin fee" for insurance.

The Lookers Audi dealerships don't charge, so I'd assume that Audi UK still contribute to the courtesy cars for warranty use.

It seems that VAG are trying to widen the gap again between the VW and Audi aftersales experience, not by making Audi better than it was, but by making VW worse than it was.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2019, 11:42 by monkeyhanger »