Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245721 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #440 on: 06 April 2019, 10:01 »
Looks nothing in red imho.  I think for it to look special it needs to be in the unique signature grey.

Red looks stunning in the TCR. Grey looks at best ok, too much like the free grey they do on offer models though.

Sacrilege Jim.  :grin:

Flat colours look great on cars with aggressive bodywork but red has never worked for me. Pure Grey is a lot creamier than the metallics. You could also argue it looks like primer but everyone's a critic.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #441 on: 06 April 2019, 21:18 »
Looks nothing in red imho.  I think for it to look special it needs to be in the unique signature grey.

Red looks stunning in the TCR. Grey looks at best ok, too much like the free grey they do on offer models though.

Sacrilege Jim.  :grin:

Flat colours look great on cars with aggressive bodywork but red has never worked for me. Pure Grey is a lot creamier than the metallics. You could also argue it looks like primer but everyone's a critic.

:smiley: I know what you mean. But I just think red looks great, especially on the TCR.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #442 on: 06 April 2019, 21:38 »
Very good review - sounds like the TCR is fantastic having read this. None of the track related stuff that Autogehgul mentioned.

https://drivetribe.com/p/is-the-new-golf-gti-tcr-a-hot-hatch-Eg__pGdXS36aGsuVzCLJWQ?iid=LCFI17RRR2eVQyeANUbOpw
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #443 on: 07 April 2019, 06:42 »
Very good review - sounds like the TCR is fantastic having read this. None of the track related stuff that Autogehgul mentioned.

https://drivetribe.com/p/is-the-new-golf-gti-tcr-a-hot-hatch-Eg__pGdXS36aGsuVzCLJWQ?iid=LCFI17RRR2eVQyeANUbOpw

Now Uk reviews are coming in, it’s odd that some of these same mags said the ride was firm but are now saying it’s ok. Possibly a different journalist I suppose from the same magazine. Great to see them on UK roads. Can’t wait to see one in the flesh.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #444 on: 07 April 2019, 07:08 »
Now Uk reviews are coming in, it’s odd that some of these same mags said the ride was firm but are now saying it’s ok. Possibly a different journalist I suppose from the same magazine.
The test cars in Portugal were all on 19" Reifnitz's, but the UK press car has been released on the 18" Quaranta's.

Sneaky Clever VW...   :rolleyes: :grin:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #445 on: 07 April 2019, 08:27 »
Now Uk reviews are coming in, it’s odd that some of these same mags said the ride was firm but are now saying it’s ok. Possibly a different journalist I suppose from the same magazine.
The test cars in Portugal were all on 19" Reifnitz's, but the UK press car has been released on the 18" Quaranta's.

True true. I just thought the dcc would smooth that. Autoexpress say that the ride is noticeably harsher on 19s.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #446 on: 07 April 2019, 21:42 »

True true. I just thought the dcc would smooth that. Autoexpress say that the ride is noticeably harsher on 19s.

On the assumption that the CSS in race mode on 19" wheels is anything like the TCR, it's going to be far too harsh and brittle on the road. But like you, I don't believe that a comfort setting on DCC won't be able to dial that out. Should be able to settle that question at the end of the month all being well.

Any car is going to be harsher on larger wheels due to reduced tyre wall and I'm surprised that VW didn't offer an 18" wheel option with the same package as Pretoria and Reifnitz.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #447 on: 08 April 2019, 15:41 »

On the assumption that the CSS in race mode on 19" wheels is anything like the TCR, it's going to be far too harsh and brittle on the road. But like you, I don't believe that a comfort setting on DCC won't be able to dial that out. Should be able to settle that question at the end of the month all being well.

Any car is going to be harsher on larger wheels due to reduced tyre wall and I'm surprised that VW didn't offer an 18" wheel option with the same package as Pretoria and Reifnitz.

Bit torn, really like the TCR with the 19" Reifnitz's and my heart is saying go with the iconic GTI to complete the set having jumped to the present R from a GTD

Sensible me is saying stay with the AWD and go back to back R (have now dismissed the A35 AMG after a mild flirtation with it)

Can someone define the 20 mm lower ride on the TCR for me? how much lower is that than the R or is it the same?

The ride on my R with DCC on Pretoria is actually too bouncy in comfort so why is it being said the TCR is firm on 19" with DCC or is the set up quite different?

Maybe rose colored thinking as like the TCR so much in style so feel can cope with the damp/wet tramping of the TCR but then think am I mad?!  as my GTD with 185 BHP used to drive me mad at times and for little extra in ££ you get the AWD

Another consideration being a company lease is that the TCR is 151 g/km opposed to the R 163 g/km so there is likely some saving there on the BIK

so really torn, would love to have the iconic GTI to complete my set of the Golf performance range and its a battle style and iconic of the TCR vs the practical and pragmatic of AWD

Is there anyone here who has test drove and ordered a TCR?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #448 on: 08 April 2019, 22:32 »

Bit torn, really like the TCR with the 19" Reifnitz's and my heart is saying go with the iconic GTI to complete the set having jumped to the present R from a GTD

Sensible me is saying stay with the AWD and go back to back R (have now dismissed the A35 AMG after a mild flirtation with it)

Can someone define the 20 mm lower ride on the TCR for me? how much lower is that than the R or is it the same?

The ride on my R with DCC on Pretoria is actually too bouncy in comfort so why is it being said the TCR is firm on 19" with DCC or is the set up quite different?

Maybe rose colored thinking as like the TCR so much in style so feel can cope with the damp/wet tramping of the TCR but then think am I mad?!  as my GTD with 185 BHP used to drive me mad at times and for little extra in ££ you get the AWD

Another consideration being a company lease is that the TCR is 151 g/km opposed to the R 163 g/km so there is likely some saving there on the BIK

so really torn, would love to have the iconic GTI to complete my set of the Golf performance range and its a battle style and iconic of the TCR vs the practical and pragmatic of AWD

Is there anyone here who has test drove and ordered a TCR?

I've not test driven a TCR but have one ordered which is in build next week so I'm hoping to have it at the end of the month.

Maybe this will help your quandary, contains frequent references to your debate: https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-reviews/2019-volkswagen-golf-gti-tcr/

The differences in ride height are not really material beyond paper comparison and no factory order Golf is so impractically low that you have to start thinking about your front splitter and approach angles. Dampers and DCC setup are where you'll find the differences on this car and if it's similar to the CSS (which I'm hoping it will be) then it won't be bouncy in comfort.

Choice comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. The TCR is fractionally under the power of a new 'WLTP' R now but is lighter without the AWD system. If won't feel slow and much like my CSS, I expect it's going to feel a lot quicker than the manufacturer posted 0-60 times.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #449 on: 08 April 2019, 22:57 »
Just noticed that the Reifnitz are only 7.5J width whereas the Pretoria's are 8J. So you'll get an extra 10mm tyre width and 3.5mm more tyre wall with Pret's. Anyone know if the Reifnitz are cast or flow formed like the Pret's?
7.5 GTD