Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245742 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #340 on: 07 March 2019, 19:41 »
It’s not the £320pm that they’d stated initially with no deposit. Deals like this confirm my thoughts that the TCR is a trim of gti rather than a special edition.

The only special GTI in MKVII is the Clubsport S, everything else is stock with calibration variations and parts bin swaps.

I meant like a special/anniversary edition. Don’t remember the CS, ed35 etc being available on a lease. Maybe it’s just that the market is changing.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #341 on: 08 March 2019, 09:22 »
Im waiting for one to get to the dealers to take a look at and hopefully drive before I decide what to change my BMW m135i for but this , the GTI and the R are still options for me.

No doubt there's a mark up on the price for the TCR, but probably not as bad as it seems in some cases.  Is it just over £2k for the DSG models?

I really like the wheels and the interior on the TCR and dislike the standard kit on the GTI PP, so would easily eat in to that 2k.  Plus a decent increase in power, brakes and a few spoilers etc, for some it won't be too bad a jump and easy to justify.

Horses for courses I think, if you really like the standard wheels and interior on the GTI I guess this looks more overpriced. 

From what I can see the GTI, TCR and R are all getting the same discount (on CarWow at least), so no added benefit to them here.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #342 on: 08 March 2019, 09:31 »
Interior does look great on the TCR and and is a nice step up from the tartan cloth, especially door cards and arm rests etc.

Brakes? Realistically, I don't think you would notice any difference on the road. Power - yes! Extra spoilers - looks pretty good. So £2k more is probably worth it as if you added Art Velour and remap you'd be at about £1.2k extra and you're getting the lightweight wheels for basically £800 which is a bargain.

The harder ride might not suit the average GTI driver though. Pays your money and takes your choice as the saying goes.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #343 on: 08 March 2019, 15:13 »

Here’s a question we’ve not asked or answered yet.

I was all set on a 3dr golf. However as I’ve still not ordered yet due to not working out if it’s really the ‘one’ to have over a GTI PP

But looking at a lot of video reviews over the weekend I think if I’m going to order one it will be 5dr.

What’s everyone opinion ? 3dr or 5dr ?

The race car is actually made from a 5dr shell.

Think its quite accepted that the MK 7 Golf does as good as job as any car out there in keeping its hatchback lines in the 5 door form - having barely coped for 6 years with 3 doors on A3 Quattro, with all the inconvenience the then incoming MK 7 convinced me to change to 5 doors as felt not giving up the lines I like to much (A3 sportback is best example of losing lines to have 5 doors) - And now into my second MK 7 on a 66 plate R thats not changed, and such as nothing has in my opinion come along in last 5 years that steps over the R 100% be ordering another very soon, in 5 door - its usually very subjective and preference driven but in this case feel just looking at the 5 door supports how holds its looks really well + the huge convenience lift of smaller doors (parking) and not having the passenger get out, pull back seat to let rear passenger in and out, which if regular carrier of passengers as I am is a huge change for the better - also as someone who coaches youth football, throwing bag of balls on back seat is another bonus
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #344 on: 09 March 2019, 07:05 »
It’s not the £320pm that they’d stated initially with no deposit. Deals like this confirm my thoughts that the TCR is a trim of gti rather than a special edition.

The only special GTI in MKVII is the Clubsport S, everything else is stock with calibration variations and parts bin swaps.

I meant like a special/anniversary edition. Don’t remember the CS, ed35 etc being available on a lease. Maybe it’s just that the market is changing.

I'm with you.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #345 on: 09 March 2019, 08:18 »
Seen a few real world TCR videos this morning on YouTube. Seems that they’re arriving at dealers in Europe. Got to say that the pure grey tcr looks amazing.

https://youtu.be/af-8nymjl6g

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #346 on: 09 March 2019, 08:42 »
Im waiting for one to get to the dealers to take a look at and hopefully drive before I decide what to change my BMW m135i for but this , the GTI and the R are still options for me.

No doubt there's a mark up on the price for the TCR, but probably not as bad as it seems in some cases.  Is it just over £2k for the DSG models?

I really like the wheels and the interior on the TCR and dislike the standard kit on the GTI PP, so would easily eat in to that 2k.  Plus a decent increase in power, brakes and a few spoilers etc, for some it won't be too bad a jump and easy to justify.

Horses for courses I think, if you really like the standard wheels and interior on the GTI I guess this looks more overpriced. 

From what I can see the GTI, TCR and R are all getting the same discount (on CarWow at least), so no added benefit to them here.

VW have had to create some head room above the GTI PP with the TCR as the flagship GTI so I wouldn't call it mark up, they have tried to create some differentiation with the extent of the package they've created. The question is of course, does that package appeal for the price difference.

Much like you, I wasn't enamoured with the Jacara interior so would have specified Art Velours and with some other options at MSRP, it's around £2.5k but I'm not getting exactly what I want. The only compromise I had with the TCR was the interior where I would have preferred Art Velours but don't mind the treatment they've applied, just would have preferred something a little more restrained but I'm sure I'll like it when I see it.

Not sure I get the comparison between a GTI PP / TCR and R outside of purchase price. The extra traction and acceleration that AWD brings with it gives you a better 0-60 but there is a weight penalty and I have driven a 7.5 R back to back with my Clubsport S and I would take the Clubsport S every single time. Straight line speed versus handling doesn't translate - the CSS feels quicker than it is and while I don't doubt the performance of the R, it feels heavier when thrown around.

I know that the track positioning of the TCR puts some people off for fear that the ride won't be compliant but this isn't an uncompromising RS special from Porsche, it's a mass produced car with a tune and some parts bin add ons. VW is a brand that gets chassis dynamics. I never have the Clubsport S out of 'Comfort' because it's just so good on the UK's awful roads. The moment I put it into race on anything but a mirror like surface, it's crashy and unbearable on most surfaces. I have driven it on excellent quality roads and it's excellent but 95% of the time, it would be too harsh and I couldn't live with it. I expect they will bring the same mindset to the TCR with a comfort mode to increase the appeal.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #347 on: 09 March 2019, 08:50 »
Seen a few real world TCR videos this morning on YouTube. Seems that they’re arriving at dealers in Europe. Got to say that the pure grey tcr looks amazing.

https://youtu.be/af-8nymjl6g

It does look awesome. The cockerel in the background adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the video.  :grin: :grin:

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #348 on: 09 March 2019, 08:57 »

VW have had to create some head room above the GTI PP with the TCR as the flagship GTI so I wouldn't call it mark up, they have tried to create some differentiation with the extent of the package they've created. The question is of course, does that package appeal for the price difference.

Much like you, I wasn't enamoured with the Jacara interior so would have specified Art Velours and with some other options at MSRP, it's around £2.5k but I'm not getting exactly what I want. The only compromise I had with the TCR was the interior where I would have preferred Art Velours but don't mind the treatment they've applied, just would have preferred something a little more restrained but I'm sure I'll like it when I see it.

Not sure I get the comparison between a GTI PP / TCR and R outside of purchase price. The extra traction and acceleration that AWD brings with it gives you a better 0-60 but there is a weight penalty and I have driven a 7.5 R back to back with my Clubsport S and I would take the Clubsport S every single time. Straight line speed versus handling doesn't translate - the CSS feels quicker than it is and while I don't doubt the performance of the R, it feels heavier when thrown around.

I know that the track positioning of the TCR puts some people off for fear that the ride won't be compliant but this isn't an uncompromising RS special from Porsche, it's a mass produced car with a tune and some parts bin add ons. VW is a brand that gets chassis dynamics. I never have the Clubsport S out of 'Comfort' because it's just so good on the UK's awful roads. The moment I put it into race on anything but a mirror like surface, it's crashy and unbearable on most surfaces. I have driven it on excellent quality roads and it's excellent but 95% of the time, it would be too harsh and I couldn't live with it. I expect they will bring the same mindset to the TCR with a comfort mode to increase the appeal.

Some good points here. Interesting thoughts on the CSS ride. Believe it was in comfort setting when it set the ring record. From the videos I saw this morning the interior looks a bit more garish than I though it would but would I have one if I could get one quickly? Yes. Going to be a great car. I still think about changing my order as my R has been delayed again.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #349 on: 09 March 2019, 09:33 »
As I said earlier in the thread, I would definitely take a TCR over an R all day long for the same reasons I sold my 7R to get my CS.  All wheel drive is not the most important thing for me.  I prefer the rareness and exclusivity of a special edition.  The TCR does look really good now we're seeing real life ones - it's just a same it doesn't have buckets.  The suspension, I'm pretty sure, should be okay, but I wouldn't buy one without DCC.  The CS has different suspension to a normal GTI and mine is fine with 19" wheels and DCC set to comfort.