Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245797 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #280 on: 23 February 2019, 18:44 »
Thanks for the info. Really appreciated. It’d be great if you could pm me the details if you get chance. My dealer hasn’t got back to me from Thursday and I’ll orobably still go with the R. You given any idea of gfv?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #281 on: 23 February 2019, 20:07 »
Thanks for the info. Really appreciated. It’d be great if you could pm me the details if you get chance. My dealer hasn’t got back to me from Thursday and I’ll orobably still go with the R. You given any idea of gfv?

Don't worry, won't forget, just dependent on others. I think the configurator and ordering systems took time to update - there are options available that weren't when I specified on Thursday.

No idea on GFV as I haven't had a quote yet, I'm not shopping for a deal as taking finance for me is about the £1,500 contribution/discount. Happy to share the figures but I'm just going to take whatever is convenient to get the discount and clear it immediately.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #282 on: 23 February 2019, 20:47 »
Having gone through the process of configuring a TCR and having had a frustrating experience with the dealer's lack of knowledge and lack of information on the configurator, thought the following might be of help to anyone considering this car or negotiating with their dealer.  :smiley:

- Pure Grey is a charged option at £580 yet is free in Germany and isn't a unique colour, it's the first time it has been available on the Golf GTI. I believe it has been available on the Transporter since MY2016/2017.

- If you are considering Pretoria Alloys, like the Reifnitz, they come in a 'pack' with DCC, Vmax derestriction and sport version of the rear damping. The Pretorias also come with additional wheel locks with expanded anti-theft protection - I have asked for clarification as to what that means outside of a press release and it seems that it's just a design improvement on the wheel lock.

-I can't find out what tyres the Reifnitz wheels come with but the Pretoria alloys are shod in Michelin Pilot Cup Sport 2 - semi-slick tyres. The Reifnitz I believe are supplied with Continental Contisport Contact 5 tyres in Germany and would assume that would be the same for the UK. If it's a car designed for track as VW purport, it should have MPSC2 tyres, they're much better tyres.

- Pretoria Alloys are available for £995 (supplied with the car) on the R and through VW Accessories, they're £1100. To add DCC is £850 so that comes to £1845.00 (supplied new with the car) yet on the TCR, that's £2,750 and you can only get the Pretoria wheels in black, no option for silver. I appreciate that damping, Vmax and all that makes up the difference in price but those are just software options. If you don't like diamond cut alloys, they are the only options and it's a bit of a con because if anyone was serious about taking the car on track, you'd ruin the lacquer if you went into the kitty litter and it'd be four new alloys as they're never the same after being lathed and repaired. Germany of course has more choice so it's a local market restriction with the UK.

- If you spec the standard wheels and add DCC, you won't get the rear damping adjustment or Vmax derestriction and unlikely that this will be available as a dealer retrofit although I suspect you'll find a tuner who can address this. Both are software controlled parameters versus the damping having a different hardware setup.

- Exterior mirrors in carbon fibre - no pricing yet but dealer thought they would be £450 which is the same as the R. Again configuration / sales systems haven't been fully loaded with the car.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #283 on: 23 February 2019, 20:50 »
Has it been removed from drive the deal or am I looking in the wrong place as I can’t see it.

That’s more discount than what I got on the gti pp quote I got so if you can share once you get your paperwork it would be appreciated.

Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #284 on: 23 February 2019, 21:07 »
No idea on GFV as I haven't had a quote yet, I'm not shopping for a deal as taking finance for me is about the £1,500 contribution/discount. Happy to share the figures but I'm just going to take whatever is convenient to get the discount and clear it immediately.
[/quote]

Just thought the gfv might indicate the residual value of the car. I’m not buying on finance, just taking the contribution like you. Be interesting to know as essentially the tcr is a trim level of gti if you know what I mean. It’s not a CS or CSS.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #285 on: 23 February 2019, 22:09 »

Just thought the gfv might indicate the residual value of the car. I’m not buying on finance, just taking the contribution like you. Be interesting to know as essentially the tcr is a trim level of gti if you know what I mean. It’s not a CS or CSS.
[/quote]

It's going to be like a more up to date CS in terms of residuals I'd say. CSS is limited edition and unique components which makes it different. TCR is subject to a limited production window and is a bridge of sorts between CS and CSS - a trim level as you say.

I think the CSS and TCR will stand the test of time as halo cars in the 7/7.5 production series. The TCR will overshadow the CS IMHO and for all the slightly fraudulent lines VW are trying to draw to the race car, it will not in any way be a car that's hard to live with. I've owned those sorts of cars and gave up on the most extreme level of them because outside of a track day, they're expensive, hard work and stressful. I don't know if the track positioning will put buyers off and push them to an R or Performance Edition but if they do, it's not going to hurt residuals if they're scarce.

Offline Cardy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #286 on: 24 February 2019, 19:48 »
The GFV on CSS is really low which pushes monthly payments up a lot will it be same with TCR I wonder finance companies don’t seem to recognise the special golfs

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #287 on: 25 February 2019, 09:20 »
GFV is a best guess safety net for VWFS. They can't afford to be wrong and over value the car or they will lose money.

By making the figure lower the risk is sort of transferred to the buyer. I say sort of, because if the figure is low you obviously get some capital back, whereas the other way around, they lose money.

I'd say that they were unsure as to the future value of the CS (at 36/48 months) and low balled it to be on the right side of the money.

They obviously know that in 36/48 months it will be a Mk7 in a Mk8 world...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #288 on: 25 February 2019, 10:11 »

Chased the dealer, they can't honour the offer. Followed up with the second dealer and they're saying that there are some price changes in the spec and that if I would take the standard wheels, they'd make the price. Which isn't what I want so that's dead.

Spoke to Robin at DTD as they were close and they've had to pull the TCR as their dealer won't honour the offer either. Something about hitting quotas on models versus volume.

Back to my normal dealer to see what they can do.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #289 on: 25 February 2019, 10:33 »
Wow, so the already marked up "special" TCR is going to be non-discounted...

You'd have to be nuts to pay that compared to a normal GTI PP or R
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC