Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245717 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #260 on: 22 February 2019, 09:38 »
All the final options and prices have been added to the VW configurator overnight. This one caught my eye.

Honeycomb side decals 'TCR' - £550

£550!!!!!  :laugh: :grin:

Would pay £350 to remove :) - the only thing that do not like and glad its an option that can simply avoid!
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #261 on: 22 February 2019, 09:43 »
All the final options and prices have been added to the VW configurator overnight. This one caught my eye.

Would pay £350 to remove :) - the only thing that do not like and glad its an option that can simply avoid!

The TCR looks like a pants pulling down exercise for those who want a GTI less suitable for normal roads! £550 for those horrendous stickers and £580 for flat grey paint. Is anyone really that daft?!

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #262 on: 22 February 2019, 09:58 »
Some of these details and specifications are nonsense!

I think a TCR could be a very rare sight on UK roads. I recall VW suggested they were "only" bringing 1000 x Mk 7, CS Edition 40 into the UK.
Did that result in around 600 cars registered?

Where is the market on TCR registrations?
At the moment, I think it could be <half that of the CS ?? :)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #263 on: 22 February 2019, 10:09 »

The TCR looks like a pants pulling down exercise for those who want a GTI less suitable for normal roads! £550 for those horrendous stickers and £580 for flat grey paint. Is anyone really that daft?!

Personally like the grey paint and its pricing is in line with the nano on the Audi and no more expensive than any colour option on any VW - paint pricing is basically whats in vogue and though we all think its just grey paint, its in vogue grey paint  :wink:

Now, the contrast paint options are too expensive, take the white, its an extra £550 for the black roof and thats halfway to a Panoramic Roof if want some contrast - the black roof is £650 more on the grey!

What makes you say less suitable for normal roads? and thats a straight up question as personally really like the styling of the TCR and seriously looking at passing over another R when choose again in April - The only point i have made out as potentially an issue is the ride is 5 cm lower
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #264 on: 22 February 2019, 10:14 »
What makes you say less suitable for normal roads?
It rides lower, and VW have said the damping rate on the standard springs and also in the DCC has been setup stiffer across all the selections.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #265 on: 22 February 2019, 10:19 »
Some of these details and specifications are nonsense!

I think a TCR could be a very rare sight on UK roads. I recall VW suggested they were "only" bringing 1000 x Mk 7, CS Edition 40 into the UK.
Did that result in around 600 cars registered?

Where is the market on TCR registrations?
At the moment, I think it could be <half that of the CS ?? :)

What specifications do you consider nonsense? again, straight question as truly trying to understand what would be getting if seriously looked the TCR way and not want to have surprises not considered?

TCR is not a short run version, its just giving the MK 7 a send off with some additional styling and tweaks and a tip of hat to the TCR track car - so you can order one of these to the last day the MK7 sits up on the VW website.

Imagine its going to be well into 2020 before MK 8 performance go one sale, so one more year for the MK7 performance?

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #266 on: 22 February 2019, 10:25 »
What makes you say less suitable for normal roads?
It rides lower, and VW have said the damping rate on the standard springs and also in the DCC has been setup stiffer across all the selections.

My R is pretty cossetted on 19" Pretoria to point that rarely use comfort as its too soft and bouncy (which I put down to the Pretoria though being 19" being light alloys)

So if my normal on the R became comfort on the TCR it would be still quite decent.

That was my only concern and I will have to be certain so I will be asking for a test drive, straight out of my R into the TCR and back to the R should tell me all need to know pretty quickly

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #267 on: 22 February 2019, 11:00 »
Just priced up R that would likely spec = £38530 the TCR that would likely spec = £37765

A GTI PP would be £34,905 (though i do not like any of the wheel options personally, this price is with Brescia)

AWD is a lot to give up for the increased styling for £765 maybe not the dilemma that thought

Obviously thats straight up pricing off the website and not necessarily what anyone pays once looked around but think their price point is not quite right when pitching it so close to the R

Quite like the new baby AMG A35 but that tops out at £40,035 due to the premium packs having all bits really want.

Intend to see the TCR in flesh and if get the feeling then test drive, but based on that pricing difference to the R have cooled my heels a bit

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #268 on: 22 February 2019, 11:20 »
I swapped from a 7R to a CS as I wanted a more exclusive and much rarer car and I don't regret it at all.  My CS has DCC with 19s and I need to keep it in comfort for most of the time.  My 7R had 19s and no DCC and I didn't have any problem with the ride quality.  Does the CS have firmer suspension than a normal GTI, I seem to recollect it does?  Given my experience, I would definitely specify DCC on a TCR due to the firmer suspension. 

Disappointingly, given its touring car heritage, it really is a shame that the TCR does not have bucket seats, CS rear spoiler and a different exhaust to make it that bit more special.  That said, because the spec doesn't really overlap with the CS, it means that CS will remain a sort after car with its own unique very desirable spec..

I certainly wouldn't swop my CS for one, but I would buy it in front of a GTi or an R due to its exclusivity.  The TCR will be a rare car and I reckon it will be pretty sort after in the used market a few years down the line. 

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #269 on: 22 February 2019, 14:01 »

Personally like the grey paint and its pricing is in line with the nano on the Audi and no more expensive than any colour option on any VW - paint pricing is basically whats in vogue and though we all think its just grey paint, its in vogue grey paint  :wink:

Now, the contrast paint options are too expensive, take the white, its an extra £550 for the black roof and thats halfway to a Panoramic Roof if want some contrast - the black roof is £650 more on the grey!

What makes you say less suitable for normal roads? and thats a straight up question as personally really like the styling of the TCR and seriously looking at passing over another R when choose again in April - The only point i have made out as potentially an issue is the ride is 5 cm lower

The Autogefühl review mentioned more than once that the TCR is set up for someone wanting a GTI to go on the track frequently as opposed to the GTI Performance which is aimed at everyday road driving.

It's a flat colour whichever way you look at it, fashion or no fashion. They can only charge if people are willing to pay for it!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey