Author Topic: '96 1.8SE refusing to start  (Read 422 times)

Offline Bravestarr

• Just got here
'96 1.8SE refusing to start
« on: 13 May 2011, 13:17 »
Hi Guys,

I've been having a recurring issue with my golf that it won't start - usually after it's been parked for a few hours or more/overnight.

The dash lights illuminate so I know power is being drawn from the battery however when turning the key to the next notch, nothing - starter doesnt even try to turn.  I've been getting the same place (family friend) to look at it and whilst they always get it started its alway a different issue - whilst they're not charging much I'm not convinced they have any idea what the issue is.  It's been suggested it's the starter motor/alternator/coil/fuel pump......

I've had a look in the FAQs but nothing really seems to fit bar this:

FAULT
:
Engine doesn't start or stalls briefly after the start - ECU disabled

CAUSE
:
The ECU is intermittently disabled Because of a fault in the immobiliser (transponder).Due to corrosion
on the connectors of the immobiliser control unit there are often loose connections.

SOLUTION
:
If the immobiliser control unit has no fault stored, the cause is a loose contact or an excessive
transition resistance on connectors or earth connection.
· Check the earth cable and earth contact for the immobiliser control unit.
· The cables of the control unit must be routed free of tension.
· With height adjustable steering wheels make sure the cable to the reading coil has enough clearance. Observe
the maximum adjustment range of the steering wheel.
· Attach the loose cable from the reading coil with a cable binder at a suitable point, as near to the control unit
as possible.

In case of persistent complaints replace both control unit and reading coil with tin-plated contacts or with
gold-plated contacts. A mixed installation of tin-plated and gold-plated contacts is causes corrosion.
· The old part number of the control unit is indicated using the V.A.G 1551
· For identification the new control unit has a brown mark or the plug end is brown.

Whereabouts is the immobiliser control unit?  The car has a Logic 300 or 500 alarm (? from memory).  There's a button on the gear stick but the documentation was lost by the previous owner.

Are there any other common issues that would stop the car from starting?  It almost seems to go into a self preservation mode whereby it refuses to let me start it/is there anyway to over-ride any auto cut-outs (if thats what it is?) so I can at least get home to investigate further?

Is there a way to disable the immobiliser to try and rule this out?

Thanks loads for your help

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: '96 1.8SE refusing to start
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2011, 13:36 »
Could be an ignition switch issue.