Author Topic: Help, Headlights won't turn off! SOLVED!  (Read 18926 times)

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
Re: Help, Headlights won't turn off!
« Reply #50 on: 12 March 2010, 16:47 »
OK, cool, let us know what it was. :grin:
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

Offline Mars Attacks

• GTI forum regular
Re: Help, Headlights won't turn off!
« Reply #51 on: 12 March 2010, 18:17 »
PROBLEM SOLVED  :wink:

or rather, problem solved by pure luck or just because the car loves its owner (the missus) more than it loves me. :rolleyes:

Anyways, after i had spent every night this week and lunchtimes at work trying different things to clear the problem with no luck, i hand the keys back over to the missus to take to her garage so it can be mot'd.

i get a call back later in the morning and she says the problem has dissapeared! i asked what she has done and all that happened was that she put the drivers seat back forward as i have it right back and also the passenger seat as well as i'd had that back rummaging around in the footwell looking for any loose wiring. and by the time it got to the garage, the problem was gone. unbelievable

i know there is a chance it might come back as i have no clue what happened in the first place, but sod it i'm happy i don't have to spend any more time on it. And to add an even bigger bonus, the car flew through its mot and needed nothing at all.  :laugh:

so all back to normal, and i even got a straight steering wheel and bought a vag-com out of the experience!

thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help, its was all gratefully received.

a happy drive way once again!

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
Re: Help, Headlights won't turn off! SOLVED!
« Reply #52 on: 12 March 2010, 18:27 »
Wow. Cool.

There are wires under the carpets, I think one of them must have shorted with the seat being moved about. Would explain it.
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Offline Mars Attacks

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #53 on: 12 March 2010, 18:35 »
yeah i thought that, will investigate that, but i'm not giving her any credit! i put all the graft in!

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #54 on: 12 March 2010, 18:36 »
:laugh:

Waste of breath. :grin:

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 12 March 2010, 23:40 »
Wow. Cool.

There are wires under the carpets, I think one of them must have shorted with the seat being moved about. Would explain it.

Where are these wires that you speak of? I've stripped out several Mk3's in my time and there aren't ANY wires underneath EITHER of the seats (except from the heated seat loom of course!!). All the wires run down the side of the car under the plastic sill covers..
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #56 on: 13 March 2010, 00:35 »
Wow. Cool.

Where are these wires that you speak of? I've stripped out several Mk3's in my time and there aren't ANY wires underneath EITHER of the seats (except from the heated seat loom of course!!). All the wires run down the side of the car under the plastic sill covers..

+1 spot on no wires under the seats.

Offline christomk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 13 March 2010, 00:39 »
I'm pretty sure i have some wires under my seats... I'll confirm this tomorrow.  :huh:
Black 8v GTI............. Whats a Waffle Valve?

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #58 on: 13 March 2010, 00:41 »
I stand corrected then, I must be thinking of the door switch, it runs from one side to the other and is near the seat.

Offline FlySpeck

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #59 on: 13 March 2010, 14:34 »
plus the only lighting wires running back to the rear are the reverse, indicator, brake and tail lights, and they would have brung the sidelights on i would think, not the dips - if they had shorted.

Does your missus go over speedbumps like they are invisible? My niece does - the car gets a good old battering every time she hits one. Maybe shook the shorted wiring apart where ever it was.

It would be good to strip the fusebox and trace where no1 and no2 are getting power from when they were faulty, but will be impossible to find now, unless it comes back. Best o luck tho mate! Glad its working for now ;)