Author Topic: ENGINE IDEAS FOR MK3 2.0 8V GTI TRANSPLANT?!?!??!?!  (Read 5802 times)

Offline VdubBrummie

• Not said much yet
ENGINE IDEAS FOR MK3 2.0 8V GTI TRANSPLANT?!?!??!?!
« on: 07 January 2011, 18:48 »
Hi all.  ive got a very tidy mk3 8v gti that I bought with a future project in mind. im kinda new to all this modding malarkey, the last thing i modded was my mk1 16v gti by putting 2 x twin weber 45's, 4 into 1 manifold, 3 1/2 " exhaust, etc etc. As you see all 'bolt on ' items and that was 15 years ago. Now having more time and money  I want to go further and build a ' BAD ASS FOTHER MUCKER '  engine from the ground up. Not being mechanical this will be my first build but i dont want it to be the usual  ie VR6 or  standard VW.  My Bro suggested going the skoda route, someone else said Porsche..
I plan to start this build in the 3 months or so.
ANY GOOD TIPS GUYS!!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: ENGINE IDEAS FOR MK3 2.0 8V GTI TRANSPLANT?!?!??!?!
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2011, 19:09 »
Hmmmm.s4 engine? Then tweak it all out.
Liam

Offline darcy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2011, 19:19 »
something like a 6.0l V12 hmmmmm......... just abit of modding and your there. :)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2011, 19:21 »

ANY GOOD TIPS GUYS!!

Yep sell it and buy something quicker or fit a 1.8t if your heart is really set on keeping it.

Fitting carbs is a backward step.

Offline VdubBrummie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2011, 20:07 »
@Wayne....

Not fitting carbs dude!!!! Read the post fully and you will see I want to build a non standard engine!! KRO

Offline jonnypolish

• I live here
  • t2871r needed :)
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2011, 20:15 »
LOL tut tut tut Wayne not reading the whole post!!  :rolleyes:

To be honest mate if you're thinking to do something out of the norm then you're going to "need" to be mechanically minded  :wink:
check out the post in vw related about the Mk1 R32 Twin Turbo and see all what they went through and how they put it all together!
To do sonmething similar or on that scale you will most DEFINITLY need to be mechanically minded :(

i think the option of the 1.8T or R32 lump would be the best since alot of people have done them and could provide tonnes of help and guidance! not to mention the fact of the tuning capabilities of both engines ;)

Good luck with your choice!
Regards, Jon
 MK2 VR y0!

Offline VdubBrummie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2011, 20:19 »
Cheers for the advice Jon. Allbeit me not being a mechanic I do have a good mechanic mate who's in on the build. Although all advice off you fellas online will be much obliged!
R32 Lump very appealing i have to say...

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2011, 20:33 »
Somethig not VAG - maybe try a jap lump like an integra?

That would annoy a lot of people lol.
Project longterm Airbanger.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163335.0

PD150 Anni daily

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2011, 20:34 »
@Wayne....
Not fitting carbs dude!!!! Read the post fully and you will see I want to build a non standard engine!! KRO

Your still missing the point, a fully worked over 8v will still be behind the power you could get out of a 1.8t, the conversion is popular and once you have the engine installed it is very easy to get more power.

You say non standard engine, again what is their available, you have a 2.0 now and even with a rebore, big valve head and many more mods you will be out of pocket much more than a 1.8t, little or no point in fitting a 16v or VR6 and the R32 will be a major ball ache.

LOL tut tut tut Wayne not reading the whole post!!  :rolleyes:

I have read the whole post, lets be honest the I want to make my 8v quicker gets asked every week.  :smiley:

Somethig not VAG - maybe try a jap lump like an integra?

Custom mounts, driveshafts, wiring hassles the list goes on and on.

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2011, 20:43 »
At the end of the day mate all your limited to is the size of your wallet and imagination.
Project longterm Airbanger.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163335.0

PD150 Anni daily