Author Topic: 2.0 8V Splash Guard  (Read 7036 times)

Offline DrewGTI

• I live here
Re: 2.0 8V Splash Guard
« Reply #20 on: 19 August 2010, 16:13 »
I have a splash guard... It's clipped on like your heat shields are.  :smiley:

kells

« Reply #21 on: 19 August 2010, 17:46 »
iv got the standard small waste of time splash guard and a FULL under engine cover on mine  :smug:

Offline Stirring Moose

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 05 September 2010, 21:09 »
Ok, latest news. Finally got to work on Project Splashguard. Prototype guard is well on the way to being ready to fit and start testing. Obviously want to run it on my car for a bit before I turn it loose on the wider world.

S.M.
Love and hate, war and peace, joy and sadness... all just crap that happens between trackdays!

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 05 September 2010, 21:11 »
Thats good to hear mate! My power steering has decided to stop working in the wet on a few occasions just lately, its quite worrying. :undecided:

VW BUSH

« Reply #24 on: 06 September 2010, 00:47 »
My 2p :smiley:

The splash gaurd works fine if your pulleys are not worn out.

Metal gaurds do not spring back out when they take an impact,  so have to be very rigid and fixed properly. (bending them backout at the roadside :sad:)
Plastic ones spring back out and detach rather than gouge all of your belts to oblivion.

Diesel tray ftw if you have to :smiley:

Offline Stirring Moose

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 07 September 2010, 18:42 »
My 2p :smiley:

The splash gaurd works fine if your pulleys are not worn out.

Metal gaurds do not spring back out when they take an impact,  so have to be very rigid and fixed properly. (bending them backout at the roadside :sad:)
Plastic ones spring back out and detach rather than gouge all of your belts to oblivion.

Diesel tray ftw if you have to :smiley:

Can't really personally comment on the efficiency of the original guard as I haven't got one. Other people don't seem to reckon it much though. As for impact resistance, fair point in theory but where are these impacts coming from? My ally guard should be well up to the odd stone hitting it but if you want more than that I can only assume you're going rallying in which case all bets are off. Don't muck about with either my efforts or VW's, what you need is a proper steel sump guard/under shield for that kind of work. Your comment about proper fixing is quite correct. I fully anticipate that perfecting bracketry is going to take up a fair bit of development time and for that reason, all the  brackets on the prototype guard are separate pieces bolted into place to facilitate modifications as necessary.

S.M.

Love and hate, war and peace, joy and sadness... all just crap that happens between trackdays!

VW BUSH

« Reply #26 on: 07 September 2010, 21:58 »
Not knocking you Mr Moose, Ive dabbled with belt covers and the like and know whats involved.
Its a fine balance between strong enough to to do the job and bloody nightmare to remove and change your belt.
If you are competant with your hands then go for it and show your creation off :smiley:
but if your belt slips and you just want it fixed, a new belt and pulley under the plastic cover is a sure fix.

Offline Stirring Moose

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 07 September 2010, 23:35 »
If you are competant with your hands then go for it and show your creation off :smiley:

Me, show off? Nooo sir, the very soul of understated discretion me! :grin:

S.M.

Offline Stirring Moose

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 12 September 2010, 21:16 »
Well here it is, the prototype splash guard.

Just got it mounted on my car today so not much testing yet, only about 12 miles total. Will keep everyone informed of progress but any feedback based on the photos is welcome.

S.M.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #29 on: 12 September 2010, 22:17 »
Looks good :afro:

How low is it though? Kind of hard to see from the pics  :undecided: