Author Topic: frozen locks  (Read 10273 times)

Offline patty

• Here all the time
Re: frozen locks
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2009, 15:37 »
so why are golf locks so bad . never feally had any trouble with other cars

my mate had a gti last yr, and had the same problems(how i used to laugh at him....who's laughing now  lol)

anyway he told me the central locking is run via a air fed pump, could this be why it dont open/close in the winter???
as for the locks........vw used cheap ones????????

pat
1996 black 5 dr 2.0 gti 16v

adamrob69

« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2009, 18:58 »
iv had the issue once this year, last month i think. I managed to get in using the key though (just). I also couldnt pull the locking pins up from inside once in!

Because if the car is locked from the outside using the key then the doors are deadlocked, so if somebody smashed a window and tried unlocking the car by pulling the pin up then they'd fail epically

Only real way into the car is through the boot! I've got a smoothed boot plinth going on mine though so the only lock on the car will be the drivers door as the passenger side is also delocked

I think you misunderstood me, I managed to get inside the car by unlocking it with the key. Once inside i was unable to raise the other locking pins untill the car had warmed up. Once it was warm it worked no problem

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2009, 00:47 »
iv had the issue once this year, last month i think. I managed to get in using the key though (just). I also couldnt pull the locking pins up from inside once in!

Because if the car is locked from the outside using the key then the doors are deadlocked, so if somebody smashed a window and tried unlocking the car by pulling the pin up then they'd fail epically

Only real way into the car is through the boot! I've got a smoothed boot plinth going on mine though so the only lock on the car will be the drivers door as the passenger side is also delocked

I think you misunderstood me, I managed to get inside the car by unlocking it with the key. Once inside i was unable to raise the other locking pins untill the car had warmed up. Once it was warm it worked no problem

Ooh I see! Strange problem then :undecided:

My locks were frozen solid today, drivers lock & boot lock

Managed to get into the boot in the end, my mate opened the drivers side window, and I stuck the key in the ignition to start it and let it warm up haha. Once it was warm the door opened :evil:

Took an hour for the passenger side one to open though :shocked:
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline col

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 20 December 2009, 02:04 »
i had spray de icer in mine tonight so could lock  i tl ol
Golf Anniversary Alloys - bbs rxII - 16's wanted

Offline vdubnut

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 20 December 2009, 10:27 »
same probs for me... driving me nuts....broke the passenger lock yesterday :( easy to fix?

Offline gunnag

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 20 December 2009, 21:19 »
Can you spray wd40 in to the lock barrel? I would have thought any water would be displaced and therefore prevent freezing?

VW BUSH

« Reply #16 on: 20 December 2009, 22:18 »
Can you spray wd40 in to the lock barrel? I would have thought any water would be displaced and therefore prevent freezing?

Bingo!

:wink:

Offline russyboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 20 December 2009, 23:48 »
Hi had the same prob spray wd40 into the door lock barrells and also spray some on a rag and wipe it around the door
rubbers it spots the door rubbers freezing up worked for me :smiley: :smiley:

Offline flash-derby

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2009, 00:29 »
if ur usin a key to get in, which i do on my vectra atm, then just boil a kettle tip water into a cup, place ur key(metal part) for 20-30 secs and place in lock sould unlock the door ok. HTH

if its got pistons or tits, either way its gonna be expensive

adamrob69

« Reply #19 on: 02 January 2010, 10:16 »
Something really scary happend this morning!

Got up earlyish to go down the barbers, remote central locking didnt work on drivers door (which receives no sunlight in the morning so is the coldest). Key didnt work also, so dipped it into hot water as said which did unlock the door pin, but to my horror the door still would not open  :undecided:

I climbed in through the passenger door and tried opening from the inside - still nothing. The locking pin worked fine and worked the central locking, but when i pulled the door handle there was nothing there, no resistance like it was dead-locked. Anyway started the motor, warmed it up, scraped the snow off all the windows etc and still no action from the door.

Came back from the barbers after having to climb in through the passengers, go home and tried again and still nothing so i thought ok lets get the door card off see whats happening.........but then i thought how am i going to get the card off when i carnt open the door or even take the handle off from the outside!!

After a little playing with it, and opening the handle very slowly i could feel a tiny bit of resistance, like it was starting to catch something then all of a sudden it burst back into life. Its not loose or anything now, opens as it use to luckily.

Not sure what happened though, the handle wasnt loose as if the metal link had snapped, but it had no resistance like it should have to open the catch- as if it was dead-locked. But i thought if you opened the lock ok then the deadlock was linked to it and that would disarm also. Im just worried because if the door breaks when shut theres nothing you can do!