Author Topic: OK mk3 2.0  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: OK mk3 2.0
« Reply #20 on: 22 March 2009, 23:48 »
Rates effective from 13 March 2008 - 6 Months     12 Months
                                                   £101.75            £185.00

Rates effective from April 2009 - 6 Months     12 Months
                                            £104.50            £190.00

Rates effective from April 2010 - 6 Months     12 Months
                                             £112.75    £205.00

its a fooking rip off if you ask me.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #21 on: 22 March 2009, 23:52 »
oh btw, check sills very carefully. They are the mk3's weakpoint. Check under the doorseals and all.

Offline MrClifford

• Not said much yet
  • mk3 golf GTi 8v
« Reply #22 on: 22 March 2009, 23:56 »
yup tax is a ripper!my view on mpg.. i do meals on wheels for a living constant stop startin and i do around 27mpg, find it better on fuel if im not learner/old biddy driving. in 5th gears at 50-70 it does about 43mpg and if i bury my foot deep into the bowls and let the engine roar well, get in the car the next morning and its 'wtf wheres all my fuel?' had it at 16.8 mpg from the little dealy by the speedo  :rolleyes:
coming soon ;)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #23 on: 22 March 2009, 23:57 »
since january the 20th ive driven almost 3000 miles iirc, and ive averaged 28.6mpg. I do make regular stops at the local shell garage  :cry:

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
  • "I am female, I think the boobs are a giveaway..."
« Reply #24 on: 22 March 2009, 23:58 »
Can I has your MK2?

Need shower, BRB.

josho is sh!t like this that pisses me off. I dont want to know your going for a shower. Just fecking go.

And back on topic, it really depends how you drive. If i boot it and drive the nuts off it then i'l see about 26/27 mpg out of it, if i do normal driving (my normal driving is between town and B roads) then about 30-35mpg, and if you take it real easy, changing gear early, pulling away gently and keeping it below 2k rpm then 40-42mpg. As my dad said, its good on fuel until you bury your foot and start overtaking and spirited driving.

Good history of the car is essential imo. Mine has full service history up until 100k miles, with cambelt changed at 100k miles aswell. Theres also a bill for £520 dated 2001 for full service, various seals, all belts, all fluids, brake pads and discs all round and front tyres, so its a plus.
Rust is the major issue. Mine thankfully is 99.8% rust free. Just a tiny little chip in the paint where the door used to catch on the body, and then another tiny little dent smaller than a fingernail in the rear drivers side panel, below the tail light.
Make sure its solid underneath though, you dant want it falling in bits. Make sure it has long MOT and prefferably long tax, as now adays its pretty expensive.
As with every car make sure it doesnt smoke once warm and make sure you cant hear any rattles or pinking from engine.
Mine had a rattly loose heatshield, but thats easy to fix. Headgaskets are pretty robust on th GTI as they are made from steel unlike non gti mk3's and mk2s.

Just make sure its all true and clean, and make sure you check if the vehicle is HPI clear. Check the VIN matches with the V5 document and engine number. Basically just check you aint getting ripped off.

Good luck and hopefully you will join dub tug squad  :wink:

Thanks very much for that! Most helpful reply ever!

I am serously considering it! Its also scares me that my insurance will be about £20 per month cheaper! :shocked:

He is getting back to me but its a guy I know and hes in no rush to sell and neither am I.

Im just trying to get him to swap me! :afro:

I don't mind joining the Dub Tug squad! You seem like a nice bunch! :grin:
Professional Freelance Equestrian Photographer

www.ravenphotography.co.uk
www.ravenphotography.uk

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #25 on: 23 March 2009, 00:09 »
I don't mind joining the Dub Tug squad! You seem like a nice bunch! :grin:

oh deep inside we really are, and deep inside everyone loves the mk3. You and I aren't the only mk2r's to turn to the mk3, chuff will soon be over and so will afew other people.
Tbh, mk3 is awesome car. Quiet, fast enough for everyday driving, comfortale, decent on fuel as long as you restrain yourself, cheap and easy to maintain, pretty much trouble free, and its pretty spaceous inside. Those are purely the reasons i bought a mk3.

Ive polybushed the wishbones in mine, given it a pipercross panel filter along with drilled airboxand coild air intake, and cleaned the throttle body and it really has made a difference. Its smooth, grips well even though its got old, perished and cracked, half worn, cheap value tyres on, and it produced 1.6hp more than what it came out of factory with, and that was before i bought the pipercross panel filter for it an dcold air intake and it's not been serviced in over 25k miles.
I reckon with a full tank of shell v-power, decent set of plugs (ive got NGK's on the way from ebay) and a full service, i reckon it could have done 120hp easy. Oh yeah and ive got a chip aswell on the way, should be here tomorrow, that should smoothe off the power and torque curve and add afew more ponnies and torques. Will let you know how it performs after the upgrades.

Offline MrClifford

• Not said much yet
  • mk3 golf GTi 8v
« Reply #26 on: 23 March 2009, 00:15 »
since january the 20th ive driven almost 3000 miles iirc, and ive averaged 28.6mpg. I do make regular stops at the local shell garage  :cry:

oh noes :( i've done 800 miles in 3 weeks, not to bad i spose!the lad i got my golf off only drove it to work and back he did 3k miles in 6 months and a shed load of mods  :cool:
coming soon ;)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #27 on: 23 March 2009, 00:18 »

oh noes :( i've done 800 miles in 3 weeks, not to bad i spose!the lad i got my golf off only drove it to work and back he did 3k miles in 6 months and a shed load of mods  :cool:

high milers ftw!

The higher the miles the looser the engine should be and more power it will give out :tongue:

Offline MrClifford

• Not said much yet
  • mk3 golf GTi 8v
« Reply #28 on: 23 March 2009, 00:22 »
agreed mk3's are lovly cars indeed! aslong as u look after um they treat your pocket very fairly unlike french cars, any french car!nothing major realy goes wrong only wear n tear stuff! only thing that ever cost me alot is the bloomin clutch! what chip have u got on the way khare?

high milers ftw!

The higher the miles the looser the engine should be and more power it will give out :tongue:
haha ive still got alot to break in, only just hit 92k on the clock  :laugh:
coming soon ;)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #29 on: 23 March 2009, 00:31 »
agreed mk3's are lovly cars indeed! aslong as u look after um they treat your pocket very fairly unlike french cars, any french car!nothing major realy goes wrong only wear n tear stuff! only thing that ever cost me alot is the bloomin clutch! what chip have u got on the way khare?

only time ive hhad to call the AA was when my PAS pump started to leak. I put it down to wear and tear (125K at the time) (only other time was when some scrot deflated my front tyre and having the VW widow maker i refused to stick my space saver on there, so called AA to come and inflate it for me).

I got the chip from a guy called George, I can pass you on his email if you wish. He programs the chip himself and he will program it according to what mods you have done.
I can seriously HIGHLY recommend this guy, his customer care is unbelievable, he responds extremly quick and gives you loads of information and is very helpful. He sells the chips for £30 + £5 P&P and if you ever need another chip (done major major work to your car and needs more aggressive map, or if your chip fails for any reason) then he will send you out another chip at no extra cost. I have yet to test the chip out, it should arrive tomorrow morning as he sent it last tuesday, and i wont have it installed until about thursday/friday time, so i will let you know how it goes. If you would like his email, let me know, id like to get this guy as much business as possible, he deserves it.