Author Topic: New MK7 GTI Spec on Top Gear Website  (Read 17691 times)

Offline mkviken

• I live here
Re: New MK7 GTI Spec on Top Gear Website
« Reply #30 on: 03 February 2012, 17:07 »
a similar age/spec GTI would definitely sell before the R32 if both were for sale on the same forecourt.

problem is with the R32 is you need to tell people what it is all the time (unless they know about cars) where most people recognise a GTI as soon as they see one.

also the road tax and the thought or 3.2l running costs would make most folk sh!t their pants.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #31 on: 04 February 2012, 13:07 »
so its going to have an aluminium roof and bonnet. and a mechanical LSD this time :angry: nuts.

I'm going to give my car to the mrs when its 2 year old anyway so might change then.

You could always fit a carbon fibre bonnet and a proper LSD to yours anyway :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 04 February 2012, 13:19 »
a similar age/spec GTI would definitely sell before the R32 if both were for sale on the same forecourt.

problem is with the R32 is you need to tell people what it is all the time (unless they know about cars) where most people recognise a GTI as soon as they see one.

also the road tax and the thought or 3.2l running costs would make most folk sh!t their pants.

Both cars are essentially an enthusiasts car anyway. Just start them both up if you want to show someone the difference.

Very true about running costs though... with the milage some people on here I would jump at the opportunity to get another 32.

tbh the mps is probably worse on fuel than the 32  :undecided:

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 04 February 2012, 15:13 »

Both cars are essentially an enthusiasts car anyway. Just start them both up if you want to show someone the difference.

Very true about running costs though... with the milage some people on here I would jump at the opportunity to get another 32.

tbh the mps is probably worse on fuel than the 32  :undecided:

yeah well the running cost wouldn't bother me at all as i only drive mine for pleasure anyway but the road tax would sting a bit. if i used it as a daily driver i would prefer the GTI. if i could have found a mint very low mileage R32 i would have considered it. i prefer it to the R20 anyway.

that top gear thing says that the have moved the front wheels forward or engine back to reduce understeer. sounds like this is a really well thought out improvement over the 5/6. of course a lot of this could well just be the usually journo hype!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 04 February 2012, 15:18 »
Maybe if they're going back to a torsion beam axle on the base models they want to tidy the front end handling up so the car isn't any worse to drive than the outgoing model? It may also be due to space issues and crumple zones or pedestrian impact legislation requiring a lower bonnet line. I'm sure it'll be more of a saving £££ issue than an engineering excellence thing, but will be marketed as the other way round!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 04 February 2012, 15:28 »
by the look of it they're doing what ford did with the fiesta platform and made it easily adjustable for each model dimension and marketing type in a way thats cheap to produce.

the fiesta platform will be used on cars much bigger than the fiesta in all kinds of body styles across the world and it seems VW are doing the same (though they more or less do anyway i suppose)

Offline JulesS3

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 05 February 2012, 18:14 »
Road tax will never make a difference to any car I buy, whats the GTI for a year £240? So about 50p more a day for the R32 over a year?  :rolleyes:

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 05 February 2012, 18:17 »
GTI is £190/year but it wouldn't deter me either for all the difference over a year..
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Belix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 05 February 2012, 18:48 »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 05 February 2012, 19:17 »
VW's new line of NVIDIA-powered modular infotainment systems, and along with that <snip> a Mercedes-like fatigue detection system that will let the driver know when it's time for a nap and a cup of coffee.

Awesome tie in promotion potential - "Driver, you are tired, I have updated the navigation directions to take you to the nearest Starbucks, then Travelodge"
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity