Author Topic: Mike's Mk2 Type19 8V GTi Now 20vT conversion in progress  (Read 6230 times)

Offline earlymk2

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mike's Mk2 Type19 8V GTi
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2011, 20:57 »
The doors i got with my doner car are fitted and rust free, and the tail gate is mint  :smiley:

The fuel filler is really good on my car too which is a result

Rear brake pipes not so good though, def in need of replacing!

« Last Edit: 04 July 2011, 21:03 by earlymk2 »

Offline earlymk2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2011, 21:11 »
Also on the long and ever growing to do list is to remove the electric windows. The car i am pretty sure, would never have had them as standard, even though the front regulators look OEM. Plan is to remove them and go back to 'keep fit' windows. Plus it will get rid of the horrible mess under the dash and running all over the car!

So the plan is to fix all the bit that are broken clean and paint up engine, suspension etc, the get the car painted, and the the nice bit of putting it all back together. :smiley:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #12 on: 04 July 2011, 21:13 »
Electric windows would have been an option

Offline earlymk2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2011, 21:18 »
Electric windows would have been an option

The wiring is def not OEM though! I have the options sticker in the boot but cant find anywhere to decode it! The decoders i have found dont recognise the codes.

Offline earlymk2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2012, 16:33 »
Right so time for a long needed update! Spent a while stripping more of the car and preping the panels for paint. Got a mate moved into my workshop who is a body guy so is pointing me in the right direction!

All was going to plan for a resto and then a mates mrs did this to his MK4.

She hit a motorbike, the rider was ok but car and bike were not! He only had 3rd party insurance so i brought it off him mega cheap  :smiley: So engine conversion time begins.

Offline earlymk2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2012, 16:41 »
So i am currently going through the MK4 wiring.

Its a AGU 20v turbo. Sorted so far are

Sent ECU off to have immobiliser removed, got that back all good
MK2 1.6 driver throttle cable
MK2 1.3 Speedo cable
G60 Brakes
16V Master cylinder
Going to use the Mk4 gearbox, i know there are simpler ways of doing the conversion but its just had a new clutch and i have the doner car to cut out the mount and weld into the MK2 shell

Offline earlymk2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2012, 16:42 »
G60 Brakes ready for a refurb!!

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2012, 17:17 »
Think you need to change the title to read "How to acquire a mk2 GTI and rebuild it into a 1.8T and full resto for a seriously small amount build thread!". Or something to that effect.  :lipsrsealed: :grin:

Good work so far, hopefully you speed up a little though or I will have forgotten about it by the time the next post comes around.  :wink: :grin:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2012, 17:31 »
Thought you were keeping it original ?  :grin:

Offline earlymk2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 13 February 2012, 17:38 »
Think you need to change the title to read "How to acquire a mk2 GTI and rebuild it into a 1.8T and full resto for a seriously small amount build thread!". Or something to that effect.  :lipsrsealed: :grin:

Good work so far, hopefully you speed up a little though or I will have forgotten about it by the time the next post comes around.  :wink: :grin:

Def going to speed up. Doing house at same time, and the mrs complaining!!

Thought you were keeping it original ?  :grin:

I really couldnt decide for a long time what to do. It will look original on the outside!! :embarassed: I have done a original resto before but never a engine conversion so thought it would be a challenge!!