Author Topic: Ashmond - 'mk4 1.4 bottom of range to 1.8t Dub'  (Read 58611 times)

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
Re: Ashmond - mk4 1.4 to 1.8T swap
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2007, 17:56 »
LOL @ being done for southend & the brands meet!

Have had sh!tloads of problems!

After threatening to basically kill the guy who has got my car he finally sent me some correspondance about my car.... doesnt seem good though!

"1. the gear selector and cables are way too short from the 1.8t .. am thinking that cables are specific and may require selector from another model..looking at this
2. possibly need oil level sensor for sump as yours is damaged ..about £65 new"

I managed to get the selector but it turns out that the actual selector tower doesnt fit due to it being an audi lump pre 2002) sp had to order some audi bits from VW in dartford. I needed the selector tower for the linkages to connect onto. This is made up by about 30 pieces all together. They took three weeks from germany, picked them up two weeks ago dropped them up to the car. Being worked on at the moment.

Bought a few more little treats too, r32 front splitter and a nice blue silicone hose set too.

----------------------------------------------

Another little update for anybody that is interested in the project I wish I never started :lol:

Me being me, I have purchased a few more goodies:

Cupra R Front Splitter which fits a r32 front perfectly and will protect the bumper from crackin against speed bumps and alike because its gonna be low because I got a new arb so i can lower it anything up to 110mm 8)

FMIC - only a little one, but got it off ebay for £115 brand new and delivered with piping and connectors so cant complain. Will be purchasing a bigger one when wallet allows:

Anyway, as you could probably assume I was getting the raging hump with the amount of time this has taken and then deceided to give Eurotek a piece of my mind. After having an amazingly aggressive rant Vinesh offered to fit loads of my extra parts for free as it has taken so long, which suits me fine because I dont want my car off the road again after having a taste. I wanted to make sure he actually still had my car and that it hadnt been made into scrap metal so I rang up my mate and loaded his polo up with the FMIC, drivers seat, coilovers, strut brace and a few other goodies and we made our way over there.

My car has been moved into a new temporary unit as Vin had a few problems with the unit he was meant to be moving into at the beginning of this month so it took us ages to find it and thats one of the main reasons it has taken so long but we found it and i saw my money pit in the flesh at last after 3 months and as you can see from the pics I dropped him all the pieces that he is now fitting for free.

Now this is the part that was an absolute touch; my mates car who I went up there with has a polo, which a few panels are still in primer which turned out to be a blessing in disguise as some guy from the same unit poked his head out the window and said "where u getting that sprayed mate?" and then a little lightbulb flashed in my head. Went over and had a chat with him and got a quote for the following; smooth vw badge from rear, smooth rear bumper, blend 4motion splitter to rear bumper, get vw badge semi circle recess out of the bonnet (badgless grille), paint wing mirror mounts, get the pitted texture out of the side strips and spray them - £350. And when we were there he was sprayin a bettle in tvr flip paint and the guys work looks the nuts. So basically when I pick the car up it doenst have to have any paintwork done on it or do I have to fit extra parts. He said he will work on the sides and rear whilst the engine is being done so it will all be done when i pick it.

You may be aski about the front, but I picked up the side skirts and front bumper from my guy in bexleyheath last night. He turned them from blue to black, fixed a tiny crack on the underside of the bumper also took out the bottom recess for the badge, and smoothed it out:

So as you can see alot has been going on behind the scenes and I hope to have it on the road before christmas!

2020 :lol:
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2007, 11:54 »
Right though I would update you guys with whats happened, had some major developments with the car. Its running!! But of course it being me there were some problems when they went to get it moving, they went to move it and then saw that I had put the temporary driveshaft bolts in from when the car was on my drive. They told me that I had to get the M10 bolts and the locking plates, I though sweet that cant be that difficult and it turned out that I couldnt buy the locking plates from anywhere without buying new driveshafts  :roll:  I had a call about for a couple of days and found a place in Sevenoaks and they sold me the bolts and locking plates for £30 - bosh!

The next day I went up to the car to deliver these bits and see my baby! I went up there and the first thing they said was "fancy seeing it runnin?" I was like hell yeah! I got a quick vid too - it sounds like a tractor as the exhaust wasnt attached and the wind noise is where the intercooler pipes, etc werent plumbed in:

CLICKY - Wagon Running!

They proceeded to tell me that the engine was fine and that I was due a bit of good news (your telling me!) I also had a look at the bodywork being done and as already mentioned in another thread the rear has been smoothed, my dirty scratch down the drivers side has been sorted, the vw badge indent on the bonnett has been filled in and a few other bits - but no primer/paint has been done yet as Readd (the sprayer) is waiting for the mechanics to take the car out properly and test her out then move into the booth so he can finish it off! This is how she looks at present, looks quite sad tbh!

So I left there happy, after seeing everything start to come together!

That takes us up to monday when the garage phoned me up and was like your missing a section of your exhaust to which I of course thought FFS  :roll: (The section is shown below)

I phoned around like a thingy again and nobody would split this bit and I already have the rest so though you know what lets have a look for a cat back system. And thats when I came across this system.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MqM2ASRV_qc

I just though f**k it and bought a full non resonant Milltek cat back system, so flames are gonna be popping once I fit the decat! Its a 3" bore all the way through instead of the standard 2.5" which I have got on there at the moment 8)

Intercooler has been hung but not piped up yet. The car has been put back together now, including headlights, slam panel, the lot.

Need spraying to be done and to fit the front bumper and side skirts and then bosh I pick it up
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2007, 11:55 »
Oh and I forgot to mention, I phoned the garage this morning and ITS f**kING READY - engine, bodywork, the lot!

Pick it up this week!

See you all very soon!

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2008, 09:48 »
Car is on my drive!

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2008, 11:50 »
Right, picked the car up sunday week ago and got it back but when I picked it up I couldnt go above 50 mph. My mate came over the next day with VAGcom and turns out the engine has got 13 faults! (GREAT!)

We managed to narrow them down to 2 now, and hopefully will be sorting them out this weekend. Apparently my n249 sensor isnt working properly and basically after a slight tinker the car is working better but it wont boost at all.

Anyway im going to get a few more pics up and some more progress up as and when just thought id put a few pics up of it. Still got to do so much, coilovers, sideskirts, new rear lights, take out rear wiper motor, wheels, spoiler, the list goes on but here it is as it stands now:

The Golf & the Bolf:

The Lump - look at how the piping is done properly, if anybody can suggest whats up with it let me know!

Rear All Smoothed:

The Front:

My Car and My Mates Car, Exactly How Mine Used To Look - What A Difference:

Rears:

As I said, still got alot to do but the main hassle is over - I hope!

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2008, 11:51 »
Right found out the problems on saturday, spent 6 hours on the car and gave it a full service and now its running perfect with no fault codes or anything!

When I sent my ECU to DNA tuning, he didnt remap it, he just chipped my ECU and my engine didnt like it, kept throwing up loads of fault codes, my ecu kept saying it was over boosting and then cut the boost at 4k  so I had a choice to make, keep it at higher power and have no boost over 4k or put it back to standard so I changed it for a standard AUM 180 ECU, clocks and changed the immobiliser chip in my key. Going to get a custom code map next month!

Started to fit coilovers last night, got to do rears tonight then fit strut brace up! Had to leave it there though because where I put coilies on I now need spacers because the wheels are slightly rubbing, got the bus to work today...grrr!

Had another problem last night which is that the garage it was at didnt check my mounts and after going over a pothole the whole dogbone mount came loose and made my engine tilt backwards which made my inlet mani really high up and ended up denting my bonnet outwards - not happy! Sorted it last night temporarily (need a new mount) but its just more problems that wouldnt have happened if I didnt go to such a poop place.

Sideskirts, front grill and seats hopefully going in this weekend

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2008, 15:21 »
Firstly thanks to Guy gti for having a spare dogbone mount which he is sending me today and not charging me for, the temporary one just gave way under a little bit of boost and a bumpy road  :undecided:

Coilovers went on last night too, the front needs to be lowered but where the back is concerned can you say "tyres tucked under arches?"  :cool:

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 11 February 2008, 11:28 »
Right thought id update the project thread as ALOT has happened since I last updated it, this is a general run down of what has been going on over the last few weeks

Engine:

I was going to sell the chipped ECU on ebay but felt a bit bad that somebody would pay out and just have the same problems as me so I rang up the tuner and said for him to remove the chip and flash load the map. He gave me loads of jip about getting my mates to look at the ecu, blah blah, blah! I sent this back to him last week and received this on tuesday. Waited for my vagcom to turn up before I plugged it in just so I could clear any faults! Plugged it in on saturday just gone and no faults came up on vagcom which means that the chip was removed and that the tuner flash loaded the map. Anyway, went to take it out and it was back to wheelspinning in both 1st and 2nd, then came the suburu impreza sound, I knew it was coilpacks straight away. So I limped back to the guys and luckily they had two spare, yeah thats right I blew two not just one, after about 5 seconds of boost, lol! Changed them back over and left the ecu to reset itself and now its running like a dream (touch wood!) Going to take it up to be fine tuned on the rollers and looking to fit front mount and new t.i.p before the rolling road day which is coming up, but its defo over 200bhp and il be interested to see what actual power figures its pushing!

Cosmetics & Toys

Right ALOT has been done since brands and since last time I have updated. The following has been fitted:

FK Badgless grill; had a crap moulding grill, had to cut it down and mod it so it would actually fit

Cupra R Splitter; was a pain in the ass to fit but it got screwed in yesterday and really sets it off!

Headlight washers square patches; these have been put on using black mastic

Genuine R32 skirts; screwed and double side taped these on yesterday.

Rear Wiper Motor And Arm Removed; plugged with 25mm bung from halfords, much tidier!

Coil put on the rear suspension; it was just on the rear springs before, put the coils on and wow what a difference, raised the car up slightly but still need to lower front and get a nice stance!

Front brake pads changed

Rear lights changed from the tint sprayed ones I had, then I bought some hella black magics for £40 and then straight swapped them on friday night to a set of the red/clear magic colour lights which really brightens up the rear and makes it less drug dealerish as it had too much black on it, the best part is that the lights I got are only 2 weeks old and he paid £110 for them (got receipt to prove it) and are in a much better condition then the ones I gave him and paid £40 for!

Things to do still:

Fit gearknob - want one from a bettle turbo! Bolt on spoiler, detail the whole car, put wheels in for refurb, get new bonnet/wing. Smooth side strips, put in seats and a few more bits but im 70% of the way there now, its starting to take shape people! You'l be able to see the difference at this months brands!  :cool:

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2008, 14:08 »
Quick pics!

Shame about the bonnet :(

Dewipered with new lights!

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2008, 22:09 »
Just got this pm on edition 38 from the deputy editor of Golf+ magazine:
Hi there,Would you mind if we used a couple of photos of your Mk4 1.8T swap for our IN Progress section of the GOLF+ magazine news pages? Every month we normally run a couple of pictures of someone's project as it's making progress and your 1.4 to 1.8T certainly sounds like an interesting venture. If you're into the idea I can probably pinch a couple of photos from your build thread and use a few of the details you've posted to knock together some words (only around 50 unfortunately) for our readers to have a butchers at.Let me know what you reckon Cheers James Wallace - 020 8726 8352Deputy Ed VW GOLF+IPC MediaLeon HouseCroydon CR9 1HZ
Pm'd him back and said no problem at all and asked about a full feature once the car is finished, waiting to hear on a reply!Car getting some recognition already!Tremendous!  :cool: