Author Topic: WeConnect / Primary user woes!  (Read 1491 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
WeConnect / Primary user woes!
« on: 22 September 2021, 22:49 »
Hi guys,
I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere a few times, but its hard to find recent info.

I collected my new CS today. Loving it. Except the infotainment setup is threatening to kill my buzz  :angry:

No matter what I try, I just can't get the "Primary user" thing to work. I've setup the WeConnect app on my phone, I've added the car in the app. All good so far, that part looks fine. Then I go to the car, into the Users menu. I've set the privacy to the least strict (can't remember the term, but least restrictive) and I've got the white globe indicator.

Then I try to add myself as a user. I enter my email and password and tap "Login". I get a spinner for ~20 seconds (Loading settings...) and eventually I get an error - "Sorry, unable to load settings".

I've tried numerous things, factory resetted the infotainment, removed and re-added the car on the phone app, but same result every time. I called VW's support (who actually operate 24-7) and they just went through the same steps, factory reset, etc, but no fix. They tell me they will "escalate it" with their tech support team. Hmmm!

I've also tried connecting the car to my home WiFi, which the car can see with full bars signal, but when I enter my WiFi password, I get an error there too. Can't connect to WiFi!

I also see error notifications for the car failing to download the user manual?? Anyone else seen that one? I had an alert for a software update too, which I clicked on and it seemed to apply an update relatively quickly with no error.

Do I really have to go back to the dealers already or is there any other magic solution that anyone else with these issues has found?

I'm hoping its just a software glitch and nothing more serious than that.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2021, 22:51 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: WeConnect / Primary user woes!
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2021, 23:11 »
It’s pants anyway, wouldn’t be concerned
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2021, 04:33 »
I had the same issue when I picked mine up.  I tried the recommended methods and nothing would work.  If you search back through my posts in March, you should find the saga.  I eventually resorted to doing a factory reset of the Infotainment unit and tried again, which worked first time.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2021, 08:05 »
I had the same issue when I picked mine up.  I tried the recommended methods and nothing would work.  If you search back through my posts in March, you should find the saga.  I eventually resorted to doing a factory reset of the Infotainment unit and tried again, which worked first time.

Thanks Brocky, I think i did see your posts when trying to search. I have tried a factory reset both via the menus and by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds. It didn’t help.

I did the former (via menus) while on a call with customer services and he suggested the reset “didn’t work” as he couldn’t see things resetting on his end. Honestly I don’t think they know anymore than anyone on here.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2021, 08:06 »
It drove me mad too!

It has to use their mobile data connection which is a cheap arse service that goes wrong every time.

I had to drive to a location I knew had super strong mobile signal and try again after having deleted and recreated my car from my vw Web account....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2021, 08:31 »
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble Joe.  I've had the occasional grey globe problem, but I think that's par for the course so I count myself lucky.  VW are doing themselves no favours at all with their Mk* software and their are bound to be some die-hard GTi fans who will never buy one again. 

I can't understand why VW allow anybody other than the primary user to switch off the car location search.  If it was only an option for the primary user it would add a valued anti-theft dimension but VW think it's OK for a thief to switch on the ignition, log in as a "Guest" and remove the tracking option.   It's a complete balls up, for the majority of users who love their cars (software aside) and don't want them stolen.   <Rant over> :angry:
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2021, 09:04 »
Thanks guys.
Hmm, the mobile signal sounds like a possible theory, as its generally not great at my house. But then again it didn't work in the dealers showroom either and I'm sure their signal is OK.

And I definitely do have a data connection (even if it is flakey / weak) - e.g. I tried the approach of registering a new ID via the infotainment and the registration part of it worked, which proves that there is a data connection. I just hit the same "failed to load settings" error again after that point.

Its annoying cos I'm otherwise delighted with the car. And its probably me too being fussy as I bet lots of owners never bother with this poxy weConnect thing at all. I'd just like it to work!!

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2021, 12:47 »
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble Joe.  I've had the occasional grey globe problem, but I think that's par for the course so I count myself lucky.  VW are doing themselves no favours at all with their Mk* software and their are bound to be some die-hard GTi fans who will never buy one again. 

I can't understand why VW allow anybody other than the primary user to switch off the car location search.  If it was only an option for the primary user it would add a valued anti-theft dimension but VW think it's OK for a thief to switch on the ignition, log in as a "Guest" and remove the tracking option.   It's a complete balls up, for the majority of users who love their cars (software aside) and don't want them stolen.   <Rant over> :angry:

Valid rant for me what a bonkers situation this is, wonder which lunatic signed off on that!!!
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline GFS

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2021, 17:18 »
I have exactly the same problem, had my GTI since March and never been able to register myself as the primary user, just really annoying. I’ve tried absolutely everything but no luck. We Connect has me as a guest user on my phone but in the car I’m a user in my own name, not a guest. No idea what sort of user I’m supposed to be. More or less given up on the We Connect thing now, is it worth the hassle?

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2021, 18:50 »
I have exactly the same problem, had my GTI since March and never been able to register myself as the primary user, just really annoying. I’ve tried absolutely everything but no luck. We Connect has me as a guest user on my phone but in the car I’m a user in my own name, not a guest. No idea what sort of user I’m supposed to be. More or less given up on the We Connect thing now, is it worth the hassle?

Yes it definitely is. Until I got it sorted I was getting warnings/notifications every time I started the car that would never go away. It was always losing my settings too and there are a whole bunch of features in the car that aren't enabled until you set up a primary user.
I would suggest you contact the WeConnect helpline, they did sort it for me after a few emails/calls.