Author Topic: CR TDIs with Tuning Boxes?  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
CR TDIs with Tuning Boxes?
« on: 13 May 2011, 16:27 »
Yes, a sensible question from me!

About 12 years ago when my Golf VR6 started to bore me I decided to mess about with one of those new fangled (at the time) tuning boxes and thus tracked down a nearly new (at the time) mk2 SEAT Ibiza TDI (it was the lightest chassis that had the 1.9 TDI engine at the time).
What a revelation that was! It was connected to the fuel pump and had another vaccum pipe to the inlet. Most modern ones have different connections now and don't have vacuum pipes.

Now, there's an awful lot of water gone under the bridge since about 1999 when I played about with my first Ibiza TDI so I was wondering what the modern equivalent tuning boxes do on a CR TDI engine with all the masses of electrical sensors added to the car, plus the CR and the DPF.

So who's running a mk6 CR TDI with a tuning box on here and how is it going?

Why am I thinking about this? Well I saw a thread on cupranet that led me to this:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?84638-1.6tdi-105-Remap/page2&

I'm sure Herr Doktor will have something to say on the subject but was just idly wondering what actual owners views are on these.  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Re: CR TDIs with Tuning Boxes?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2011, 21:44 »
I love good tuning boxes but hate resistors in a box that glue onto your fuel temp sensor etc, My company sold a lot of good quality boxes like these from late ninetees to the mid 2000's.

We do stock Van Aaken boxes for when the customers car either can't be mapped or they want simply want a plug in box. Van Aaken boxes have always has been the best tuning boxes that ever came to the market IMHO.

So my opinion is this, good ones thumbs up and you'll always have vehicles such as the current golf 1.6 TDI That can't be mapped (at 13/5/11) but they just don't have the contol over the engine that mapping does.  :wink:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: CR TDIs with Tuning Boxes?
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2011, 20:08 »
I can relate to the above Herr Doktor.
My following Ibiza TDI went to Van Aaken for a bit of tweaking, I had and still have great respect for their knowledge on all things turbo. Plus the fact nobody else in VAG circles were into them at the time and another handy plus was the massive discount I qualified for!!

I think if I got turbo Diesel again in the future a tuning box may be on the cards after reading the DTUK thread above.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner