Author Topic: Downside to chipping?  (Read 7957 times)

Offline red16v

• Not said much yet
Re:Downside to chipping?
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2003, 12:32 »
I suppose some boring old fart like me has to say it. When I was 20 I thought I knew it all. When I was 30 I realised I didn't know it all at 20 but I did now. When I was 40 I realised that I didn't know it all at 30 etc etc etc. Now I am 50 I must know something ? I have only just joined this forum and find it useful, knowledgeable and most times entertaining. What disturbs me on occasions is all this talk of modifying the cars to go faster, which is understandable - I can see the point of it - but usually topics like this don't mention (hand in hand) is how to increase the stopping power of the car - this current topic is one of them. As for talk of 're-chipping' the car but not telling your insurance company because they won't find out - what are you guys thinking about. If I have learnt nothing else about insurance I can tell you that in the event of any claim (house/contents/medical/car) insurance companies will do everything in their power NOT to cover you. If you increase the power of your car and have an accident and cause serious injury or worse to another party (or even yourself) most likely the insurance company will look very very very closely at your car. I'm a professional electronics engineer - it would take less than 30 secs to establish that 'your' car does not have the standard data in its rom/eprom. Look at it from the insurance companies point of view ? - they can sit back and relax, pay out ?500,000 when you make a claim for someone you've maimed  or they could spend ?40 and get an engineer to look at your chip. So, now you've hit someone and they are lying dead on the pavement and your insurance is null and void.

As I say I'm sorry to be an 'old fart',  I know its easy for me to say it when your my age and you only pay ?300 a year for insurance, but I was young once. Don't cheat on your insurance - you may be on the receiving end one day.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2003, 19:17 by red16v »

golfvr6

« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2003, 14:33 »
Insurance is always the bloody downside to everything  :'(

Offline Revvy

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2003, 18:10 »
That's why i drive a 2.0l GTI.  It's the only one i can afford to insure as i'm 25 with only 2 yrs ncb. (?800 fully comp including business use)  A 180 1.8T would be horrendous!! :'(
Y Reg 2.0 GTi Colour Concept

Offline red16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2003, 22:31 »
I know it seems rotten Revvy - but I think you're taking the sensible route by staying within your limits (I mean financial of course) One day you'll be as old as me, and, they say men always think like they are still 18 yrs old no matter how old they really are - its TRUE, so you will be able to enjoy the car of your choice and be able to insure it properly !! kind regards, yt.

golfvr6

« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2003, 10:31 »
How old are you red16v?? I'm 30 this year and my insurance is still sh!t, must be living in surrey  >:(

Offline red16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2003, 22:01 »
I'm 49 and live next door to you  - in Hampshire. Kind regards, yt.

golfvr6

« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2003, 22:49 »
That explains how you get low insurance then  :-*

Offline red16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2003, 16:11 »
As if to illustrate the point. Have any of you been following the story in todays papers about the two young men racing their Golf Gti's getting involved in a truly tragic accident. It appears they were chasing each other nose to tale for quite some time when one of them struck an oncoming motocyclist as he tried to unsuccessfully overtake. The motorcyclist was trapped underneath his burning bike and eventually had both his legs amputated. Can it get anymore tragic?, sadly yes, his pillion passenger, his wife, suffered serious injuries and died as a result - One of the two defendents had gone and had his golf re-chipped that very morning. Of course I do not know, but I doubt he had had time to inform his insurance company - and now he has voided his own insurance and he's on his own. Depending on how the jury decides he is now at least partially responsible for maiming one person and killing that person's young wife. Enough said. Kind regards, yt.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2003, 16:13 by red16v »

golfvr6

« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2003, 19:53 »
Yeah i remember that one , not good. All i would say is not all of us drive like complete cocks.

golfvr6

« Reply #19 on: 11 September 2003, 19:53 »
I meant to say drive like C*CKS.