Author Topic: Discount on New GTI  (Read 5067 times)

Offline illyun

• I live here
Re: Discount on New GTI
« Reply #30 on: 22 March 2006, 15:02 »
It is a Golf V5 that you are selling isn't it?  Or is all that talk referring to the V5 Log Book - I'm getting well confused now!   :huh: Best shut up  :lipsrsealed:
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)

Offline virage1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 22 March 2006, 15:44 »
Hi Virage... sorry but I never meant you specifically in my post - in fact I didn't even read the context of the thread before posting... it was just a general statement and I hope you get what you want for your V5  :wink:

Thanks! We shall see...only had one other import before (one of the first Z3 2.8's in '98) which I managed to sell back to the place I bought it but all the other dealer said "no way". I have always said to people "never buy an import" and I have always bought cars from UK main dealers before...so just not following my own advice :shocked:...we shall see! I will not doubt post here with what happens in time!

Offline AlexRWD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 27 March 2006, 20:57 »
Getting back to the original question - I live in Sussex, and we first looked at the GTi about a year ago.  Found all the dealers would not offer any discount whatsoever, not even on their demonstrators!  :shocked:

This surprised us, so we thought would leave for a while, until supply of the GTi's improved, and demand dropped.

Went back 12 months later, and situation hadn't changed!!!  As VWmd has said, why on earth should they discount when they have people lining up for the cars?  If people didn't want them at that price, they'd go elsewhere and demand would soon drop, but it hasn't.

This reassured us that the cars should hold their value well - we went and tried the Focus ST when it came out, which is no doubt a bargain, but I was amazed to find these cars being heavily discounted from day 1 through various websites.  What it that going to do to thier residuals?

In the end we did manage to get one of our options for free, but feel satisfied that the cars are not being over-supplied, and we have not been ripped off.
'02 TVR Tamora
'05 Golf GT TDi 140 3 dr
'06 Golf GTI (belongs to the missus) - red, 5dr, 18", leather, 6CD, armrest

Offline Matt555

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 27 March 2006, 22:14 »
I think you've done alright with that fella, we got about the same and with the PX on the Audi fixed it helps make a better deal. 

One of my mates is looking at an ST deal, there are discounts on them which i find strange for such a new motor. 

The VW is just sooooo good, ok so it may not have the power (pub talk) but the handling is sublime.  I see both the R32 and Gti holding their values like the MK4 R32, solid!!!

Just to add a little something.  BMW top brass are concerned that the VAG has overtaken them in the prestige sector, very interesting!!!!