Author Topic: Mew - A reg mk2 project  (Read 39604 times)

Offline Mew

• I live here
Re: Mew - A reg mk2 project
« Reply #50 on: 23 September 2008, 08:10 »

Hmm, maybe i won't make a start today! (2 weeks ago)

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 23 September 2008, 12:31 »
As I started Monday eve

Wires to come out, top one was the engine loom iirc

Fusebox end, fun!

My £110 box of nothing turned up around half 10 on the tuesday morning, i couldn't really do much with it until the subframe was ready though.

I started to assemble the new wishbones (with bushes already pressed in) and ball joints

I then set about removing the 8v friction disc, as i was going to use the 8v box. I then found it to be caked in oil and pretty worn. How the hell it wasn't slipping i don't know!

More oil on the inside of the flywheel

Oil inside the 8v gearbox. It's safe to say that at this point i had already made the decision to use the 16v box

As i was using the 16v box but the 8v brakes (for now), i had to fit the 8v shafts to the 16v box as the 16v shafts had the hubs still attached, which meant removing the 8v shafts/hubs from the old rack:

16v gearbox:

general mess

I then went and collected my freshly coated subframe on Tuesday afternoon. As i was calling on my mobile to see if it was ready they were phoning my housephone to say i can come and collect it!

I was dead chuffed with it for £30 and approx 20 hours from dropping it off. As i left the owner came running out, he just wanted to make sure i was happy with it! GB Plasticoat in Gosport, Hants for anyone that is interested :wink:

I then bolted up the new wishbones with new bolts

And then added the 1.3 gearbox mount and Eibach arb

The PAS rack then came out of the garage as i had to replace the track rod ends

Much to my surprise they came off easily with a bit of grinder action and i had done the pair in under 30 minutes. I don't think i've ever managed one in half an hour!

I then hammered in the bolts for the steering rack back into the subframe. They have a splined bit near the head to keep them located when there is no rack fitted

Whilst removing the alternator the body snapped :angry:

I then bolted up power steering pump up to the side of the block

This is the alternator bracket which has to be changed to fit the PAS pump:

front of block without bracket

PAS bracket and non pas (PAS bracket is the larger one)

pas bracket bolted up

Exhaust manifold removed nice and easily. The engine has apparently been rebuilt at the top end, bolts nice and free and fresh looking gaskets

TSR manifold bolted up

PAS rack fitted to subframe, lets it down a bit really!

Subframe in place waiting for engine

Mid hoist

Resting roughly in position

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 23 September 2008, 12:31 »
Bolted up with front cross member in place

Rad fitted and connected, still need to move it slightly to the right (as in closer to the passenger side)

Engine in and slam panel fitted

Manifold poking through

New system, 2.5” from a Corrado so i wasn't sure how it would fit

Adapter sleeve for front pipe to manifold

How it hangs out back, it actually looks smaller in person and doesn't stick out very far, maybe an inch

Manifold and bulkhead clearance

Where I’m up to

First turn of the key once i had the HT leads in the right order on the dizzy:

Here's a video that was meant to be a picture, but shows the exhaust quite well at the start:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 31 October 2008, 14:27 »
Losing parts/being too cold to have a proper look for them is getting expensive :cry:

List of things to be done:

Connect front calipers                                                ** bolts on order from VW, pads currently missing in the garage!
adjust coilovers to a more sensible height                      ** find c-spanners
connect steering rack Uj to column                               ** awaiting new rubber boot from VW
connect gear linkage bracket to steering rack           
align exhaust pipe and tighten up
tidy up routing of wiring in engine bay
get the handbrake working
connect clutch cable                                                   
connect accelerator cable
wire up lights/horn/wipers etc
sort out o/s CV joint which has decided to fall apart :huh:
sort out the hole in the driver's footwell

And, although it's not really cold outside, everything on the car that i touch is freezing!  :grin:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 31 October 2008, 18:52 »
List of things to be done:

Connect front calipers                                                ** bolts on order from VW, pads currently missing in the garage!
adjust coilovers to a more sensible height                      ** find c-spanners
connect steering rack Uj to column                               ** awaiting new rubber boot from VW
connect gear linkage bracket to steering rack           
align exhaust pipe and tighten up
tidy up routing of wiring in engine bay
get the handbrake working
connect clutch cable                                                   
connect accelerator cable
wire up lights/horn/wipers etc
sort out o/s CV joint which has decided to fall apart :huh:
sort out the hole in the driver's footwell

Sorting out the gear linkage bracket was a nightmare. i had managed to bolt up the subframe without realising that the bracket was on the wrong side of the frame (towards the back rather than infront) and there was no way it was going to fit through the gap between the floor/bulkhead and the steering rack, so down came the subframe again :rolleyes: Anyway, it's all sorted now just took longer than it should have done.

The clutch cable is also sorted, but the white plastic case where you adjust the tension has snapped so it feels a bit strange, but it'll do for now.

I have ordered a steering UJ boot from VW as well as a set of front brake caliper bolts, which i can hopefully collect first thing tomorrow. Once i have them i can crack on and hopefully complete the list by tomorrow afternoon. Having said that, whilst under the car earlier i realised this exhaust is going to take a lot of fiddling to get it sorted so i won't be surprised if it doesn't all get sorted tomorrow. Also got to factor in time to service next door's Polo for a few quid on sunday. Fun fun fun.......

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 01 November 2008, 13:05 »
Puddles are wet :angry:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 01 November 2008, 15:11 »
Right, it's now raining sideways so not even my gazebo is working anymore. Add to that my front brakes won't go back together i'm getting a bit miffed so came inside for a can of coke and some frazzles

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 30 March 2009, 14:36 »
Longest engine conversion ever! 7 weeks and it will be a year since i started :embarassed:

I honestly can't remember what i have done since the last update, but sill to do are the following:

Fit exhaust system
Bolt up 1 track rod end
Fit subframe/wishbone bolts
Put new bolts on inner CV joints
Fit new clutch cable
Fit new throttle cable
Fit shocks and springs/adjust coilovers (not decided which yet)
Sort out brake servo/master cylinder - something isn't right
sort out power steering - hose, bracket, fluid, belt etc
Service engine

Get an MOT :undecided:

My insurance runs out on the 13th April, and unless the golf is running and ready to be used by then, it is going to get expensive due to various complications.

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 06 April 2009, 21:16 »

Fit exhaust system
Bolt up 1 track rod end
Fit subframe/wishbone bolts
Put new bolts on inner CV joints
Fit new clutch cable
Fit new throttle cable
Fit shocks and springs/adjust coilovers (not decided which yet)
Sort out brake servo/master cylinder - something isn't right
sort out power steering - hose, bracket, fluid, belt etc
Service engine

I also need to:

Shorten the front bumpstops
Tidy the wiring in the engine bay
Connect all the lights, sensors etc
Reconnect the clocks, interior electronics etc
Get a clip for an outer CV boot (cable tie?)
Get a clip for one steering rack boot (cable tie again most probably)

I have an MOT booked for this Wednesday, and although i had a continuous 7 hours or so on the car today i didn't really get that much done unfortunately. Early start tomorrow, but i think i'm going to have to move the MOT to Thursday, which gives me exactly feck all time to sort it out if it fails :sad:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 11 July 2009, 16:50 »
Picking up an exhaust next week, after that everything i need should be readily available from GSF or VW, so in theory should be relatively straight forward :lipsrsealed:

We're moving house in 5 weeks though so i'll have to see what money and time i have available..........