Author Topic: Wanted: Reifnitz or Pretoria Wheels  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Wanted: Reifnitz or Pretoria Wheels
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2024, 10:25 »
Oh hell no

:grin: I’d be the same!

As a (not very) fascinating aside, you can still get Quaranta/Belvedere wheels fitted to brand new VW’s, they’re fitted in plain gloss black (no polished sections on the spokes) to the US market Jetta GLi 40th Anni.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2024, 14:58 »
I noticed a massive difference personally going from Brescias (and many other sets) to Belvederes, feels nicer in corners and much better suited to the roads I'm on at least, hence why I'm after another set.

I second Will’s view. I’ve just changed from Racingline Cups running Michelin Crossclimates (winter set up) to the Belvederes with PS4Ss and the difference was very noticeable- appreciate this was probably more to do with the tyre than the extra 1.5 kg per wheel but small changes can make a huge difference to driving enjoyment. Adding an extra 5 kg per wheel with a set of 19 replicas would be very noticeable but it’s a personal choice.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline GTIPPKEV

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2024, 21:24 »

Message me if you decide to sell your Belvedere's.

I am in Glasgow.

Kev

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2024, 10:17 »
I noticed a massive difference personally going from Brescias (and many other sets) to Belvederes, feels nicer in corners and much better suited to the roads I'm on at least, hence why I'm after another set.

Not VW alloys, but when I replaced my standard 18" alloys with light weight 18" alloys on my BMW F40 135i you could definitely feel the difference, they were much better.  :smiley: 
Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp

Offline pixelcellar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2024, 11:08 »
So a lighter wheel would feel better, seen someone looking to get rid of a set of 19" oz ultraleggera hlt with PS4's that have barely been driven, anyone have an opinion on them, they seem quite a lightweight wheel and aren't cheap but could be a good alternative to a heavier or more easily damaged Pretoria?
2024 - Current: 2019 Mk7.5 Golf GTi TCR 286bhp, 5dr, Pure Grey, 7spd DSG, 19" Oz Ultraleggera HLT Alloys, Park Assist, Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA, Side Assist, Rear View Camera
2020 - 2024: 2019 Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 245bhp, 3dr, Deep Black Pearl, 6spd Manual, 19" Brescia Alloys, Park Assist, Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA, Rear View Camera
2017 - 2020: 2017 Mk5 Polo GTi 190bhp, 3dr, Metallic Black, 6spd Manual, 17" Santiago Alloys

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2024, 15:13 »
The Oz are a great looking wheel...

For the most part 19" wheels do look better on a Mk7 Golf as they fill the arches. The 19" also tend to be slightly wider, running a 235 over 225 tyre, don't forget, when VW built the Clubsport S for the Nordschliefe ring record attempt, they chose 19" Pretoria over the lighter 18". I asssume it was mostly down to the improved mechanical grip of the 19"s ?

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2024, 19:05 »
It's all to do with unsprung weight, unsprung weight has a multiplier effect of x2-x3. 6kg saving versus the standard 19s is more like 12-18kg a corner. 

@Clubsport was it not to do with the Pilot Cup 2 tyres weren't released in 18in at that point?
« Last Edit: 26 February 2024, 20:05 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2024, 19:44 »
@willni, I am not sure that makes sense the Michelin Pilot Cup 2 was launched in 2014, 2 years before the Clubsport S.

Quite a few of us have used them in a 225/40/18 Porsche size which is also the size VW would use on an 18" equipped GTi ?

There is more mechanical grip with a 235 on track, they had DCC on the car to ride the kerbs in "comfort" mode.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2024, 20:12 »
@willni, I am not sure that makes sense the Michelin Pilot Cup 2 was launched in 2014, 2 years before the Clubsport S.

Quite a few of us have used them in a 225/40/18 Porsche size which is also the size VW would use on an 18" equipped GTi ?

There is more mechanical grip with a 235 on track, they had DCC on the car to ride the kerbs in "comfort" mode.

I thought it was similar to the current Pilot Sport S5, it's been released since March 2023 but the sizes aren't available?
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2024, 20:22 »
If you are on track chasing a lap record you want the most mechanical grip, don't you?

Why would you choose a less grippy 18" tyre (if available), They were clearly available on sporting cars in 19", no doubt due to manufacturing demand?... Why didn't manufacturers run sporting cars on 18"?.....for the latest  german track weapons they are running 20/21" with massive clearance for brakes!
All very confusing!? :)