Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 653842 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2570 on: 18 April 2015, 21:01 »
Drove it for the first time in ages and noticed that the steering wheel is off center since fitting the Vancouvers back on last week. It looks like it needs a trip to the dealers for an alignment set up.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2571 on: 18 April 2015, 21:04 »
Drove it for the first time in ages and noticed that the steering wheel is off center since fitting the Vancouvers back on last week. It looks like it needs a trip to the dealers for an alignment set up.

Do you still like driving it, despite too many pedals?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2572 on: 19 April 2015, 11:56 »
New personal best at Santa Pod yesterday.

11.02@125.62mph

Car was running Toyo R1R tyres, running 99ron V-Power and WMI and on the normal stage 3 pump map (not race! ). Quite a lot of slip of the clutches into 5th meant no real acceleration in that gear.

Need uprated clutchpacks now!  :laugh:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2573 on: 19 April 2015, 12:00 »
 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :afro:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2574 on: 20 April 2015, 08:34 »

No. It really needs to be changed whilst it is still worth something, but I'm board of cars and detest buying new ones with a passion. Now point me in the direction of a bike shop...
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2575 on: 20 April 2015, 11:25 »

No. It really needs to be changed whilst it is still worth something, but I'm board of cars and detest buying new ones with a passion. Now point me in the direction of a bike shop...

Got anything interesting on your 'bike wishlist'?  How is the new bike? 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2576 on: 20 April 2015, 12:54 »
I won't want a new bike for a good while yet. It's kit that I seem to keep buying.

The new bike is really nice. I'm no faster, but it's much more comfortable, meaning I can ride much further.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2577 on: 20 April 2015, 13:23 »
It was kit I was referring to. 

I bought some carbon fibre cycling shoes couple of years ago to replace my old Shimano ones and they are fantastic, really light and comfortable.  Then I had to get some new cleats as the new shoes had a different fitting to the others, then new cycling socks....

Trouble is, you walk into a bike shop (real or online) and convince yourself you need this and that and before you know it, you've got an empty wallet/purse!

On the subject of being faster, my partner did his usual cycle run the other day, after being laid off exercise during the cancer treatment and recovery, and has shaved 6 minutes off his usual time (in similar conditions).  He's lost 4 stone in the last 8 months which may have something to do with it.  He was well chuffed and is enjoying starting to get fit again. 
« Last Edit: 20 April 2015, 13:30 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2578 on: 20 April 2015, 14:44 »

Try swapping the front wheels from side to side. Cured similar for me in the past when swapping wheels. If your tracking was ok before, should still be ok if you think about it!

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2579 on: 20 April 2015, 15:01 »
The tyres are directional, so I can't do that.

A couple of years ago I suffered 'saw tooth' wear on the rear tyres, so fitted a new pair and drove straight to the dealers for an alignment set up. With the new rear tyres on, the steering wheel was off center until the geometry was adjusted.

I have new tyres on the rear again now and the same thing has happened. No uneven tyre wear before, just a pissed up steering wheel.