Author Topic: what to strip out on mk 2 gti 16v  (Read 3408 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: what to strip out on mk 2 gti 16v
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2009, 13:36 »
if your returning the car to standard in the future you'd be better off leaving it as is and removing the spare wheel, rear bench and parcel shelf just for trackdays. theres no turning back when you get into harnesses etc!

Offline Oilburner

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2009, 13:50 »
Mine is as per the other replies. The only things left are the shell of the dash, dials & clocks. Everything else (and i mean everything) has gone.

I have got 2 after market bucket seats which I am using with the standard seat belts. As others have already said, no point in harnessing up unless you have proper mounting points. Theoretically, using the rear seat belt mounting points keep it within the 45 degrees recommended by the FIA, but in reality the angle they sit at just looks all wrong, I certainly wasn't comfortable with the way the would be mounted. Plus I use mine on the road as well so I don't want a cage. If it is purely for track use, then a cage is definitely the way to go...

Have to agree with Baylez8v. The full strip out transforms the car in terms of handling and performance. Plus mine has OMP strut braces front and rear; they REALLY make a difference!!!

It is a completely different car to drive over standard and an absolute riot on road or track. I have no performance mods to the engine at all, yet it feels a good deal swifter in all gears and at all speeds. Just be prepared for a somewhat noisy and 'involved' drive.  :evil:

My car will never again be a standard road going job though. I have ripped out to much stuff....
1987 - MkII Golf GTI 16v
2005 - MkIV Golf GTTDI 140

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #12 on: 03 June 2009, 11:20 »
stripping the bitumin off is a complete pain of a job - would only rtecomend if you want to paint the floor as suggested!

i am putting door cards (or alu plates) back in my doors - in the event of an accident there are a lot of odd shaped bits of metal that could turn nasty when poking in your legs

Offline Baylez8v

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2009, 18:21 »
agreed with the sharp pokey bits of metal, i put my cards back in after a month, it also made it a bit better for putting ya phone somewhere....
its very easy to rip stuff out of the golf, but putting it back together is so much work, u never remeber what bolts go where and in which order. and the bitumen needs to go, mine was damp and weighed an absolute tonne, i could barely lift the bin bags. u cars gonna look naff inside if its stripped anyway so a tatty floor aint too bad but cover up the rust, the condensations spreads it quickly.