Author Topic: 250bhp GTD???  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
250bhp GTD???
« on: 28 October 2022, 16:37 »
Speaking to some lad who swears he has run 250bhp on several different dynos on a standard turbo... I'm thinking BS. I even offered to race him in my stage 1, but it was an empty offer as I know it will never happen.

I only rant as 250bhp in a GTD would be the perfect amount of power imo and I would love that in mine.

I spoke to one of the top, most reputable tuners (won't name names) but everyone has heard of them. They reckon even with every mod possible you won't get above 220ish max! Unless of course you get a hybrid turbo. They have no reason to BS me, as they could have made money out of me... But, they were honest. Probably why they are the best.

You see all these wild claims on YouTube... but funnily enough, there are never any side by sides demoing this supposed extra 30bhp over a stage 1 map of 220bhp-ish.
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: 250bhp GTD???
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2022, 18:56 »
Obviously you weren’t going to race on public roads  :whistle:

250 sounds very optimistic for a basic OBD tune on a standard turbo with all the emissions filter guts still in the exhaust system. That’s the sort of power Darkside would get out of a hybrid turbo.
Much better to have a *reliable* tune producing less headline power with controllable traction in a road car. 
Chucking enough fuel into the engine (when running standard turbo and exhaust) to get power levels approaching 250 bhp would give you worse fuel economy than a 245bhp petrol GTI…
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner