Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654091 times)

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3210 on: 27 June 2023, 19:00 »
So wasn't technically today, but done in the last few weeks and was before my latest Clubsport order update.  As that may have changed my rationale for doing this.  But hey that's life, Carpe diem!  :cool:

Basically the tab had snapped off of one of the parking light bulb holders meaning I had to semi-drop the front bumper to remove the headlight to change the bulb.  Major hassle!  Plus the other headlight's parking lamp holder's tab had half broken off, so that was just as awkward.  With the remaining tab being determined to cause injury and claret to be spilt as I attempted to wrestle the bulb holder out due to its sharp edge.  :shocked:

Plus both headlights had lots of stress fractures actually within the plastic lenses. Which I'm sure were due to 14 years' worth of the plastic lenses heating up and cooling down over the car's life. So cosmetically they looked a bit meh, and were probably having an adverse (albeit rather small) effect on lighting.

Being resigned to the fact the Mk8 was potentially going to arrive next year (still might, who can tell  :grin:) I didn't fancy in the winter months, or at any time really, the fun of having to drop the front bumper to change light bulbs!  So I purchased two new halogen headlights.

Only when I compared old with new did I really appreciate how bad my headlight units had degraded with these microfractures.  Plus I thought, hey this is probably the last time I'll have to do this.  As soon I won't need to change light bulbs as my Mk8 will have LED Matrix headlights.  But then thought instead if they fail I'll have to replace the entire headlight!  :tongue:

Once installed I got them adjusted at the local MOT testing station to make sure I wasn't going to inadvertently dazzle my fellow road users with my new photon producers.

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3211 on: 29 June 2023, 21:57 »
Lights look good. Mine still OK. Car garaged all its life so no excessive exposure to uv ect.

Had to replace the brake pad sensor plug today as check pad message came up. Recent new pads so checked for continuity on the pad sensor and then found zero voltage on the car plug. One of the pins had corroded. Cheap fix at £5.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3212 on: 30 June 2023, 10:40 »
My Leons lights are starting to suffer this. I guess at 18 yrs old and spending its life outside I cannot complain much.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3213 on: 28 July 2023, 10:54 »
My headlights have always looked cloudy, but no stress fractures luckily. I've had good results with a headlight polishing kit in the past, but I've read more recently that doing that removes any protective UV coating and they'll go cloudy again more quickly. Apparently applying clear coat afterwards is the way to go, but I'm not sure what clear coat to use and if it's possible to get good results with a rattle can?
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3214 on: 28 July 2023, 14:06 »
My headlights have always looked cloudy, but no stress fractures luckily. I've had good results with a headlight polishing kit in the past, but I've read more recently that doing that removes any protective UV coating and they'll go cloudy again more quickly. Apparently applying clear coat afterwards is the way to go, but I'm not sure what clear coat to use and if it's possible to get good results with a rattle can?

Yes, my understanding is that polishing the headlamp lenses does remove any existing UV protection.

A quick internet search of ‘headlamp UV clearcoat’ and there are various products available to reapply a UV layer costing around £10. I’ve never used one of these products so can’t vouch for how good or effective they are, but if I needed to re-polish my headlamp lenses to remove clouding / hazing, I’d use one of these UV clear coat products.

I’d say that if you’re confident with using a rattle can then give it a go. As with any type of DIY project like this, good preparation is key along with effective masking up to prevent overspray of surrounding bodywork and grille, and ensuring the ambient temperature isn’t too cold / it’s not a windy day (if you’re having to work outside).

You can always practice on another surface such as an old piece of perspex sheeting (or similar) to perfect your spraying technique before spraying your headlamp lenses.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3215 on: 18 August 2023, 18:27 »
MOT day today, Mk6 passed with one advisory of a rear coil spring with corrosion.  Whilst I was hoping for a full green pass, considering the car's now at 208,500 miles, it's doing a fine job of keeping me mobile.  Especially whilst the Mk8 order still has no confirmed build week and I'm in month 17 of waiting. 

Will no doubt get the spring done to avoid a haggle point when I eventually come to part ways with it.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2023, 18:29 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3216 on: 21 September 2023, 17:30 »
Car had its 210k mile service today, plus did get the corroded rear coil spring replaced too. 

Potentially last service before the Mk8 arrives in 6 to 8 weeks.  Though not I'm going to believe that until I have confirmation it's on route from Germany.  :grin:

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #3217 on: 22 September 2023, 08:47 »
Recently installed my custom made Edition 35 grille badge as they don't exisit so designed and made my own.

« Last Edit: 27 September 2023, 09:06 by Nino »
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #3218 on: 27 September 2023, 09:08 »
Replace my Cam follower on the Eddy, Phew, that was close. I think this is the first time it has been done, car is on 74k.

VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3219 on: 09 December 2023, 17:25 »
Replaced the driver's side door mirror enclosure/mechanism.  Had been making a horrid laboured sound as it was folding in or out for a while. Plus it took longer to fold out/in than the passenger side, and on the odd occasion it would get stuck half way.

Had tried lubricating the mechanism, but no improvement. 

On disassembling the old door mirror unit there was a fair amount of corrosion and rust in the motor aperature.  So no doubt this was impeding the movement and causing the motor to strain.  Looks to be a sealed unit so couldn't investigate further.

Anyway second hand unit works fine, I couldn't just buy the motor unit according to dealer parts dept. I would have to buy the whole unit which was horrendously expensive.  Both the passenger and driver side mirrors now fold at the same rate.  No sound of a motor straining to push the door mirror out now either.  :wink:  All smooth and quiet.