Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 653679 times)

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2580 on: 20 April 2015, 17:41 »
Strange, tyre change cant affect the physical tracking (eg trackrods etc.) of the car. All it can be is that the tyres have differing rolling characteristics.

What about swapping front tyres to rear?
I have recently put the concrete Goodyear F1's from the back of mine onto the front and my Pilot Sports to the back and now my steering wheel is off. I know its not the tracking as all tyres have equal wear across the tread. I'm putting up with it as I want rid of the nasty Goodyears which are trying to wear out my ESP light in the wet.

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #2581 on: 20 April 2015, 20:52 »
Fitted 'Forge uprated boost pipes' (http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/search?q=Uprated+Aluminium+Boost+Pipework+for+VW+Scirocco+2.0+Litre), silicon turbo hoses and GFB DV+, can't say it has improved the performance greatly, but seems a bit more lively.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #2582 on: 20 April 2015, 21:16 »
^^^ I think the uprated boost pipes only come into their own at stage 2+ really, but i guess no harm having them in there  :cool: :cool:

Also, I thought people had been going back to OEM DV over the GFB DV+ as it was know for leaking even after the uprated spring they made for it?
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2583 on: 21 April 2015, 08:24 »
Strange, tyre change cant affect the physical tracking (eg trackrods etc.) of the car. All it can be is that the tyres have differing rolling characteristics.

It's an odd one.The first time, the rear tyres were badly worn due to the geometry being out. It may have been that the previous owner had the tracking corrected to straighten the steering wheel. When the new rear tyres went on, the 'square' rear tyres would have changed the rear geometry, therefore causing the car to crab.

This time, there was no uneven wear, but coincidentally, fitting new tyres on the rear caused the same symptoms as before.

What about swapping front tyres to rear?

I wanted the new tyres on the river as the ones now on the front are no longer available. The older tyres will wear more quickly on the front, so can be replaced with ones that match the rear much sooner.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #2584 on: 21 April 2015, 09:22 »
It was kit I was referring to. 

I bought some carbon fibre cycling shoes couple of years ago to replace my old Shimano ones and they are fantastic, really light and comfortable.  Then I had to get some new cleats as the new shoes had a different fitting to the others, then new cycling socks....

Trouble is, you walk into a bike shop (real or online) and convince yourself you need this and that and before you know it, you've got an empty wallet/purse!

On the subject of being faster, my partner did his usual cycle run the other day, after being laid off exercise during the cancer treatment and recovery, and has shaved 6 minutes off his usual time (in similar conditions).  He's lost 4 stone in the last 8 months which may have something to do with it.  He was well chuffed and is enjoying starting to get fit again.
Quality Booth 4 stone faster wanting to get fitter excellent  :cool:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2585 on: 21 April 2015, 10:56 »
It was kit I was referring to. 

I bought some carbon fibre cycling shoes couple of years ago to replace my old Shimano ones and they are fantastic, really light and comfortable.  Then I had to get some new cleats as the new shoes had a different fitting to the others, then new cycling socks....

Trouble is, you walk into a bike shop (real or online) and convince yourself you need this and that and before you know it, you've got an empty wallet/purse!

On the subject of being faster, my partner did his usual cycle run the other day, after being laid off exercise during the cancer treatment and recovery, and has shaved 6 minutes off his usual time (in similar conditions).  He's lost 4 stone in the last 8 months which may have something to do with it.  He was well chuffed and is enjoying starting to get fit again.
Quality Booth 4 stone faster wanting to get fitter excellent  :cool:

The lost 4 stone comes at a price.  All he needs now is to get his taste buds back  :sad:  But you can't have everything!  If scientists / drug companies can find a way to 'temporarily' disable taste buds, they'll be onto a weightloss winner  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2586 on: 21 April 2015, 17:59 »
Got back from work to find this  :angry:

Only minor but annoying and inconsiderate!
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2587 on: 21 April 2015, 18:08 »

Careless idiots!  Looks awful.  Will some of it polish out?  Or smart repair for the damage along the crease?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2588 on: 21 April 2015, 18:10 »
Careless idiots!  Looks awful.  Will some of it polish out?  Or smart repair for the damage along the crease?

Yeah some of its polished out but will need paintwork to sort properly. Guess I'll have to get some quotes :undecided:
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2589 on: 21 April 2015, 18:13 »

Er, very annoying and a hit and run incident! Hate stuff like that. Commiserations.

(Shouldn't it be in a thread entitled, "What has someone else done to your MK6 today?"
« Last Edit: 21 April 2015, 18:14 by andygo »