Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654101 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2310 on: 11 January 2015, 11:04 »

Not yet Hr. Ex

It's the very next thing on my to do list on my return from hols.  Currently sunning myself on a Maldivian island  :cool:  is it chilly back in Blighty??   :tongue:

How could it ever be cold here with you around the forum to warm the cockles of our hearts?  :kiss:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Anyway, just because you're on holiday doesn't mean you can't get an order rolling - I think I remember sitting in a caravan on one of those cheap half term breaks in Cornwall sorting out a car order on my mobile phone whilst everyone else went swimming!  :laugh:
Not quite the Maldives I know but when one has internet one has the world at ones feet. Or something like that...

Oh, you charmer......I think I'm gonna be sick  :sick:  :laugh:  :kiss:

Ordering a car whilst on holiday, 4000 miles away  :huh:  Hmm, tempting but I think that might be a step too far and could end in divorce, if I we were actually married that is  :whistle:

And the wifi connection here is better than at home in semi rural Kent  :rolleyes:

Hope my mk6 is still intact and unscathed in it's temporary gatwick car park home  :undecided:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2311 on: 11 January 2015, 11:53 »

Face it, you're just stingy! That's why you have £17k+ savings and not a shiny R8 parked outside depreciating  :laugh:

I guess I am when I see how much money other people seem to spend. I was brought up the old school way of saving for what I wanted. However, the things cars theses days seem to have such high screen prices that even tho' the money might be there, when it's gone it'll take a long time to replace. Being self employed also doesn't help as my income can be extremely haphazard, which is why I don't like monthly payments for anything other than the necessary utility bills.

Anyway, I am going to buy a new road bike in the next month or so. That will cost a fraction of changing a car and give me probably more pleasure. 
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2312 on: 11 January 2015, 11:56 »
Bought a mk7 Golf R, used the mk6 GTD to get there mind, collection date TBA.

:cool: but at this rate with seemingly everyone moving on, I'll be left here all on my own with the new wave of silly wheels and coilover Mk6 owners.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2313 on: 11 January 2015, 12:02 »

:cool: but at this rate with seemingly everyone moving on, I'll be left here all on my own with the new wave of silly wheels and coilover Mk6 owners.

You know what the answer to that is then.  Time to get your fat wallet out.

Anyway, I am going to buy a new road bike in the next month or so. That will cost a fraction of changing a car and give me probably more pleasure. 

Have you decided what road bike you're getting?
« Last Edit: 11 January 2015, 12:04 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2314 on: 11 January 2015, 12:25 »

Either a Specialized Roubaix or a Cannodale Synapse. Both are carbon sportive bikes with 11 speed 105 components. Priced the same too. I just need to ride both to decide.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2315 on: 11 January 2015, 13:31 »

I will still be here, no silly wheels or coilovers for me.
My mk6 is staying and moving into the leons job as the all years rojnd daily. Down sizing this year is my goal 3 cars max.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2015, 13:34 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2316 on: 11 January 2015, 13:39 »
Still, I'm older and wiser now and if I wasn't stuck on this silly ownership merry-go-round why the holy heck would I own a car when I could lease for peanuts like this: http://www.centralukvehicleleasing.co.uk/vehicle/choose_your_lease/57649/volkswagen/golf/20_tdi_gtd_5dr.html
Thats why I dont even look at new cars on the street anymore. Or think they must be doing well they have an X.  Having a new car now meens nothing, actually it meens  less than nothing as 99% are basically just renting cars. Id think more of someone running an old 500 quid car than a new one now as at least they own it.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2317 on: 11 January 2015, 14:20 »

May you and jonesltd have a long and happy symbiosis.

Still, I'm older and wiser now and if I wasn't stuck on this silly ownership merry-go-round why the holy heck would I own a car when I could lease for peanuts like this: http://www.centralukvehicleleasing.co.uk/vehicle/choose_your_lease/57649/volkswagen/golf/20_tdi_gtd_5dr.html
Thats why I dont even look at new cars on the street anymore. Or think they must be doing well they have an X.  Having a new car now meens nothing, actually it meens  less than nothing as 99% are basically just renting cars. Id think more of someone running an old 500 quid car than a new one now as at least they own it.

I was thankful I was out in my old 500 quid car today as I had a spectacular amount of bird sh!t land on the roof! I wasn't quite sure whether I was horrified or impressed but it didn't half make a noise when it hit! There's a pigeon out there right now feeling a whole lot better.
Hopefully it'll rain hard later as I really can't be arsed to clean it off as it's a bit chilly round these parts and my builders bum won't want a chill.

Anyway, I do actually own my own cars (unlike many) and I guess as there are quite a lot of us older farts on this forum there are a few that have saved their own pennies over the years. I was well into my forties by the time I bought my first new car. But as time goes by I realise it's me who's out of step with the world and really I should just rent them as it gives a pretty hassle free existence and I just don't have any enthusiasm to modify or spend hours cleaning and polishing any more.

There's one thing I do know and that's the fact my next car won't be properly owned unless my six numbers pop up.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2318 on: 11 January 2015, 14:31 »

Either a Specialized Roubaix or a Cannodale Synapse. Both are carbon sportive bikes with 11 speed 105 components. Priced the same too. I just need to ride both to decide.

Not sure what your budget is but have a look at the Felt F series.

Bought an F2 carbon fibre couple of years ago and it's a fantastic road bike.  Very rigid frame and super light, SRAM components etc.  There's plenty of good ones at varying prices in that range.

Whatever you go for, always worth trying to pick up previous year's stock too as price is usually much reduced as opposed to new season stock and barely any difference in the bike.

I agree, the days of cars as status symbols is largely over.  But I still don't like the idea of 'renting' a car, some of us still like to do it the old fashioned way and actually own it.  I'm buying my mk7 outright, and even if it isn't the most cost effective way, at least it's mine and there's that satisfaction of having saved for it.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2319 on: 11 January 2015, 14:32 »

i wont be going anywhere, espeically on coilovers  :laugh: