Author Topic: XENONS - Q & A retrofitting & functionality  (Read 212256 times)

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Re: XENONS - Questions and answers on retrofitting and functionality.
« Reply #510 on: 15 February 2011, 21:58 »
'tis a genuine VW screwing implement fo sure  :grin:

My point is that they can't check that you have any kind of auto leveling system fitted, so if asked say yes.

FYI mine works on a "sky hook theory driven bi manual VW screwdriver stick it in and twist it it 360 degrees bi adjustment system"  :grin:

FYI re self levelling on the R. When you start up the lights for the first time, they go through a routine. Don't quote me on the order of this but you very noticeably see them point down, point up, point outwards and then back to centre. Easy to show that to the MOT tester, just need a wall! Am I assuming that the retrofits don't do this?

Nah, mine don't do that mr mot tester, never have  :grin:

All of this is not an issue for me as I'll never have to get mine MOT'd because it will be going on or around it's second birthday.

I'd be very very very surprised if an mot inspector picks up on this if you have genuine headlamps fitted.

Offline The Danno

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #511 on: 16 February 2011, 08:19 »

My point is that they can't check that you have any kind of auto leveling system fitted, so if asked say yes.

FYI mine works on a "sky hook theory driven bi manual VW screwdriver stick it in and twist it it 360 degrees bi adjustment system"  :grin:

FYI re self levelling on the R. When you start up the lights for the first time, they go through a routine. Don't quote me on the order of this but you very noticeably see them point down, point up, point outwards and then back to centre. Easy to show that to the MOT tester, just need a wall! Am I assuming that the retrofits don't do this?
Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPZSb-P8Reo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just like that, indeed. Good find! :smiley:

Offline The Danno

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #512 on: 16 February 2011, 08:23 »

Nah, mine don't do that mr mot tester, never have  :grin:

All of this is not an issue for me as I'll never have to get mine MOT'd because it will be going on or around it's second birthday.

I'd be very very very surprised if an mot inspector picks up on this if you have genuine headlamps fitted.

Just try not to find yourself driving behind the rozzers at night, they'll take umbrage if your dazzling them  :grin:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #513 on: 16 February 2011, 08:55 »
If I was dazzling anyone I'd remove the lights and order a new motor with xenon's, see video's above mine are A1  :wink:

The only dazzling coming from me is the dazzle from my teeth as I smile due to my xenon induced permanent-grin  :grin:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #514 on: 16 February 2011, 09:00 »
If I was dazzling anyone I'd remove the lights and order a new motor with xenon's, see video's above mine are A1  :wink:
The only dazzling coming from me is the dazzle from my teeth as I smile due to my xenon induced permanent-grin  :grin:

.......and reflection. :grin:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #515 on: 16 February 2011, 09:06 »
FYI I had a look inside the halogens to try and work out how the leveling motor functions, the halogens have three wires going to the motor, but the xenon's have four and not helping matters is that they are all black.....

In short I'm going to have to be really really really bored to go playing with this  :sad:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #516 on: 16 February 2011, 09:09 »
FYI I had a look inside the halogens to try and work out how the leveling motor functions, the halogens have three wires going to the motor, but the xenon's have four and not helping matters is that they are all black.....
In short I'm going to have to be really really really bored to go playing with this  :sad:

I think you have done more than enough for King and Country. Just enjoy the lights of your life. :smiley:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline The Danno

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #517 on: 16 February 2011, 13:01 »

Have you had your teeth whitened?   :rolleyes:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #518 on: 16 February 2011, 16:01 »

No but there still not as discoloured as halogen lamps  :wink:

I think you have done more than enough for King and Country. Just enjoy the lights of your life. :smiley:

Thinking your right  :smiley:

Offline The Danno

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #519 on: 16 February 2011, 18:14 »

No but there still not as discoloured as halogen lamps  :wink:

Thinking your right  :smiley:

Speaking of yellow...I think there should be a return to yellow fog lights from the 70's, and France!! They work! Bright white doesn't, and more to the point I DON'T HAVE ANY :cry: