Author Topic: XENONS - Q & A retrofitting & functionality  (Read 212285 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: XENONS - Questions and answers on retrofitting and functionality.
« Reply #450 on: 08 February 2011, 19:50 »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #451 on: 08 February 2011, 20:19 »
Thanks Geoff,

Just gimme 5 as I settle young Maximilian down and I'll go take some pics :-)

I'm struggling to find very bright white sidelight bulbs, I may try piaa's soon but they cost around £60  :rolleyes:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #452 on: 08 February 2011, 22:52 »

Just edit this post DOC for the order you want them in.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #453 on: 08 February 2011, 23:45 »
Thanks Snoops, they're fine the way they are  :wink:

Offline DRC

• Here all the time
« Reply #454 on: 09 February 2011, 00:04 »
Doc,

Have you used normal ballasts from the like of HIDs Direct? If so, what have you used to stop the bulb error message? I'm getting my Golf next week and will eventually do this, but I had issues with my MK2 Leon with it being Can-bus and it ALWAYS showed an error? Mine are 55w ballasts.
'13 Audi A3 8V S-Line - Dakota Grey - 2.0TDI 150 - MMI Plus Nav - Bang&Olufsen - Comfort Pack - LED Lighting Pack - Comms Pack - Model and Technology Badge Deletion

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #455 on: 09 February 2011, 00:16 »
Doc,

Have you used normal ballasts from the like of HIDs Direct? If so, what have you used to stop the bulb error message? I'm getting my Golf next week and will eventually do this, but I had issues with my MK2 Leon with it being Can-bus and it ALWAYS showed an error? Mine are 55w ballasts.

Hi DRC, I used standard ish off the shelf ballasts and coded the car for xenons which stops the problems with lamp warnings and flickering headlamps, good thing is you still get main beam working in the loom so you can rewire the headlamps to operate the shutters for the bi-xenon.

I'd be happy to help you do your install if you need help FOC of course  :wink:
« Last Edit: 09 February 2011, 00:25 by The Doc »

Offline DRC

• Here all the time
« Reply #456 on: 09 February 2011, 19:12 »
So apart from the headlights and bulb holders, everything else is after market?
Could you code them in if I were to just use hids in my normal reflector headlamps? How did you get the headlights so cheap? :) I'm from Grimsby near hull so not too far from you :) would be nice for a helping hand if I can get cheap parts :)
'13 Audi A3 8V S-Line - Dakota Grey - 2.0TDI 150 - MMI Plus Nav - Bang&Olufsen - Comfort Pack - LED Lighting Pack - Comms Pack - Model and Technology Badge Deletion

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #457 on: 09 February 2011, 22:23 »
Could you code them in if I were to just use hids in my normal reflector headlamps? How did you get the headlights so cheap? :) I'm from Grimsby near hull so not too far from you :) would be nice for a helping hand if I can get cheap parts :)

Correct headlamps and holders are all VW, the rest is aftermarket.

I can code normal reflectors as xenon yes, but projector style headlamps are much better for xenons.

Headlamps were cheap as I bought them from a forum member who has put the LED sidelight versions on his car.

Your welcome to come over and I'll take some pics to do a "how to" for other members  :wink:

Offline DRC

• Here all the time
« Reply #458 on: 09 February 2011, 23:30 »

Correct headlamps and holders are all VW, the rest is aftermarket.

I can code normal reflectors as xenon yes, but projector style headlamps are much better for xenons.

Headlamps were cheap as I bought them from a forum member who has put the LED sidelight versions on his car.

Your welcome to come over and I'll take some pics to do a "how to" for other members  :wink:

Yeah, I had HIDS on my Leon and it just threw up bulb errors on start up but were fine after that, I assume the Golf is the same? Also, when coding Bi-Xenons to the Leon, am sure it changed the output voltage, DC/AC etc, is this not so?

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #459 on: 10 February 2011, 16:05 »
The car looks for a bulb but finds a ballast which sends it mad  :laugh:

I cant see it changing the voltage or AC/DC, but I could be wrong, I've never metered or scoped the outputs TBH  :huh:

What I do know is that they work  :wink: