Author Topic: XENONS - Q & A retrofitting & functionality  (Read 212281 times)

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
Re: People With Xenons
« Reply #420 on: 31 January 2011, 08:26 »
Lights £1425 plus vat
Module £600 plus vat
Sub total £2025
+ VAT = £2430

I'm at about £500 at the mo, £375 for the lights and around £125 for the bits  :wink:

Sheeit! I should have bought the lights from Steve. :grin:

All the bits can be obtained for a 'full fit' for approx £1450 and the fitter in my VW Bodyshop can fit them. He has done a few. Labour charge is around £200 inc VAT. So total £1650 tops. Also, Darren has done a few complete ones.

As I am now very happy with my new Philips bulbs, I will pass, and use the money for an exciting holiday in Egypt. :laugh:

Anyone care to join me? :evil:
You've not changed your mind again Asker!?  :grin:

APR Stage 2+

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #421 on: 31 January 2011, 12:33 »
Lights £1425 plus vat
Module £600 plus vat
Sub total £2025
+ VAT = £2430
I'm at about £500 at the mo, £375 for the lights and around £125 for the bits  :wink:
Sheeit! I should have bought the lights from Steve. :grin:
All the bits can be obtained for a 'full fit' for approx £1450 and the fitter in my VW Bodyshop can fit them. He has done a few. Labour charge is around £200 inc VAT. So total £1650 tops. Also, Darren has done a few complete ones.
As I am now very happy with my new Philips bulbs, I will pass, and use the money for an exciting holiday in Egypt. :laugh:
Anyone care to join me? :evil:
You've not changed your mind again Asker!?  :grin:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Xenon xenophobia is done and dusted.  :laugh:

Egyptian holiday with Doc is being planned! :laugh:
« Last Edit: 31 January 2011, 12:54 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #422 on: 31 January 2011, 17:37 »
DOC
Will these fit in the side light location on the xenon lights or are they too big.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-Long-LED-Extreme-Power-2W-360-degree.html
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #423 on: 31 January 2011, 21:22 »
DOC
Will these fit in the side light location on the xenon lights or are they too big.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-Long-LED-Extreme-Power-2W-360-degree.html

Funny you should mention the side light bulbs I've fitted led's in the sidelights that are very similar and they are a bit of a tight squeeze.

These are the ones I have fitted: http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/error-free-leds/501-error-free-8-smd-led-sidelights-bulbs-white-p-497.html

Good news is I got both headlamps fully working bulb wise and fault free, flash works, shutters work etc and I only had to fit one hid canceller unit to the xenon ballast in each lamp to stop the lights from showing a fault in the dash.

To get this level of functionality as a plug and play solution (which it is) you have to do a fair bit of re-wiring inside the headlamp, but if done correctly this could be reversed if you wish to reverse the proceedure in the future.

I've made a video of the headlamps working and sent it to my email address thinking I'd be able to download it onto my iPad then upload it to you tube but I can't - silly IPad  :sad:

If anyone would like to upload it to you tube or the like for me then please PM me with your email address and I'll send it over  :smiley:

No progress on the leveling but I'll look into that when I remove the bumper and look at the height adjustment on the normal headlamps, after that I'll have a better idea if the levelling can be via the in cabin thumbwheel.

Happy camper  :wink:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #424 on: 31 January 2011, 21:26 »
Brilliant Doc. :smiley:
Really interested if the manual levelling can be used. Save shed loads of money.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #425 on: 31 January 2011, 21:56 »
I've made a video of the headlamps working and sent it to my email address thinking I'd be able to download it onto my iPad then upload it to you tube but I can't - silly IPad  :sad:

If anyone would like to upload it to you tube or the like for me then please PM me with your email address and I'll send it over  :smiley:
PMed i should have time to do this for you.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
« Reply #426 on: 31 January 2011, 22:00 »
Looks fantastic Doc!

Will you be doing a full write up once complete for us xenon wannabes? I am searching all the time for xenons now!

APR Stage 2+

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #427 on: 31 January 2011, 22:14 »
Looks fantastic Doc!

Will you be doing a full write up once complete for us xenon wannabes? I am searching all the time for xenons now!

Yes, but it's going to be quite involved to say the least.....

I'd be happy to convert for people if they bring them to me OR by post, F.O.C of course  :wink:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #428 on: 31 January 2011, 22:20 »
THE DOCS Xenon Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNt1uTp4EmQ

I hope,  :undecided:
An odd file I had to forward it to another email address then it still did not work then to another email addresses and i then managed to get it to download right, computers :grin:
« Last Edit: 31 January 2011, 22:30 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #429 on: 31 January 2011, 23:04 »
Cool, thanks snoops, odd file as it was from my odd iphone4 :rolleyes:

Parts so far

2x headlamp units minus all control units and xenon bulbs - I paid £375
2x Retaining rings for xenon bulbs Part No 5M0 941 645 from vw approx £12
2x D1S bulbs from £33 to £200 a pair ( I had a spare set of Philips ones but tried some £33 ones and they were fine ) eBay item number: 330508696682
2x Kufatec  Adapter Harness from Halogen to Xenon £60 eBay item number: 120648349484
2x Slimline xenon ballast £80 eBay item number: 190476396469
2x Resistors 100w each to stop faults on the main beam 12 quid: http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/100w-resistors-led-fix-for-55w-bulbs-such-as-h1h4h7-p-329.html
2x Error free LED sidelight bulbs £10:  http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/error-free-leds/501-error-free-8-smd-led-sidelights-bulbs-white-p-497.html

DO NOT BUY THESE - THEY BLEW UP DURING TESTING:

HID warning cancelers £8 HID's Direct: http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-led-fixes-leads-sockets/hid-error-fixes/hid-kit-capacitor-obc-fix-p-319.html
« Last Edit: 07 February 2011, 15:10 by The Doc »