Author Topic: XENONS - Q & A retrofitting & functionality  (Read 212281 times)

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
Re: People With Xenons
« Reply #400 on: 25 January 2011, 14:40 »
Thanks SteveP..... just as I'm finally getting round to sorting out my rear LED lights.... you have to go fit those :grin:
p.s. They look very nice.... but like Kylie Minogues beaver I'd like to see them in the flesh  :laugh:

Shocking. :shocked:
Never judge a book by its cover. :lipsrsealed:

Still see you are surgically attached to the Interlagos wheels. :evil:

I know, I know... sorry  :smiley:

Its a sad day for the interlagos..... FrogGTi is no more with his car and interlagos, Exonian has just sold interlagos and mine were sold a few months ago. But I'm sure the wheels will be back to haunt you one day! So I will just have to leave my sig picture as it is just as a reminder for now  :smiley:

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #401 on: 25 January 2011, 18:56 »
I dare'nt leave it to her indoors! i'd have to sell the GTI :grin: Xenons should be standard fit on a GTI without doubt, i really don't do enough miles on un-lit roads to justify spending the amount of money vw demand, having said that the standard halogens are shockingly poor! hence the reason i spent a very reasonable £25 on some Osram nightbreakers, Jobs a good un! :wink:

Bought these today as a stop gap measure.
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=192

Did you have an alignment check after your bulb change?
No mate, i park facing the front of my house and basically made a mental note of where the beams were before and after, there was no change so assume it's fine.
One thing i will say is although these bulbs are a marked improvement over standard fit bulbs they are no where near xenon quality, i'm positive steveP will agree?
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #402 on: 25 January 2011, 19:03 »
I dare'nt leave it to her indoors! i'd have to sell the GTI :grin: Xenons should be standard fit on a GTI without doubt, i really don't do enough miles on un-lit roads to justify spending the amount of money vw demand, having said that the standard halogens are shockingly poor! hence the reason i spent a very reasonable £25 on some Osram nightbreakers, Jobs a good un! :wink:
Bought these today as a stop gap measure.
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=192
Did you have an alignment check after your bulb change?
No mate, i park facing the front of my house and basically made a mental note of where the beams were before and after, there was no change so assume it's fine.
One thing i will say is although these bulbs are a marked improvement over standard fit bulbs they are no where near xenon quality, i'm positive steveP will agree?

My turn to pounce on you. I said this already in my previous post.  :tongue: :kiss:

These Philips bulbs and the Osram Nightbreaker Plus ones ARE considerably better than the standard Halogens which are frankly rubbish.

Jimble has the Osrams and can vouch for the improvement.

These Philips have just been released in H7. They use quartz glass instead of the ordinary glass that the Osrams have. They are supposed to be very slightly better than the Osrams but are not as good value.

However, neither of these bulbs are as good as HIDs. (lights)
« Last Edit: 25 January 2011, 19:53 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #403 on: 25 January 2011, 23:16 »

Doc
I'm also interested to know if the Phillips bulbs are anygood.
p.s. you also deserve a medal in bravery for the xenon retrofit your going to be carrying out as it sounds complicated ( well to me anyway ) :grin:

To be honest I'd buy PIAA bulbs if I wasn't going fir the xenons, expensive but fantastic bulbs, the closest thing to xenons IMHO.

The xenon install is more simple than it sounds, basics are that the xenons plug in, what bulbs I can't code out I'll replace with big resistors and that's my plan really, glueing the ballasts / bulbs together is simple. *IF* it works I'll do a "how to"  :wink:

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
« Reply #404 on: 26 January 2011, 09:34 »

Doc
I'm also interested to know if the Phillips bulbs are anygood.
p.s. you also deserve a medal in bravery for the xenon retrofit your going to be carrying out as it sounds complicated ( well to me anyway ) :grin:

To be honest I'd buy PIAA bulbs if I wasn't going fir the xenons, expensive but fantastic bulbs, the closest thing to xenons IMHO.

The xenon install is more simple than it sounds, basics are that the xenons plug in, what bulbs I can't code out I'll replace with big resistors and that's my plan really, glueing the ballasts / bulbs together is simple. *IF* it works I'll do a "how to"  :wink:
Cant wait to see how you get on! If it does i'll be on the hunt for some Golf R xenons!  :nerd:

APR Stage 2+

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #405 on: 26 January 2011, 09:47 »
I saw a few pairs of R lights on fleabay but didn't buy them as I don't *think* they have side lights built in and I didn't want to go down the separate sidelight route.

*IF*
it works I'd be happy to convert them for you at cost price, emphasis on if  :laugh:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #406 on: 26 January 2011, 10:29 »
Doc: I presume you are not going to have any manual or auto-levelling.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #407 on: 26 January 2011, 10:57 »
am1w 100% won't be auto at this point but I'll have to see if I can get the leveling to work manually, I don't hold out much hope of this but you never know.

I've converted a few cars such as our works caddy van and my wifes last freelander 2 to oem xenons and I got the manual level adjustment to work, but until I take the golf apart and start testing I have no idea if the manual leveling will work.

Good thing for me is that my car never carrys rear seat passengers or luggage etc it's only for me to drive to work and back so even if I can't get them to work for me it won't be the end of the world, but if I can't adjust them and I'm dazzling other road users I'll take them off and order another car I think - I don't like cars without xenons!

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #408 on: 26 January 2011, 12:05 »
...........(A) - but if I can't adjust them and I'm dazzling other road users I'll take them off and order another car I think - (B) - I don't like cars without xenons!

(A) - LOL+ :laugh:
(B) - Me too, but for the present I have no choice. Never make that mistake again. :wink:
....... and I am keeping everything crossed for it to work for you. :wink:
Got the Philips bulbs today. Will fit them Friday. They even sent me spare W5W bulbs FOC.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 12:28 by am1w »

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #409 on: 26 January 2011, 12:35 »
...........(A) - but if I can't adjust them and I'm dazzling other road users I'll take them off and order another car I think - (B) - I don't like cars without xenons!

(A) - LOL+ :laugh:
(B) - Me too, but for the present I have no choice. Never make that mistake again. :wink:
....... and I am keeping everything crossed for it to work for you. :wink:
Got the Philips bulbs today. Will fit them Friday. They even sent me spare W5W bulbs FOC.

Lets us know how you get on with the Phillps bulbs please.... Thanks

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto