Author Topic: XENONS - Q & A retrofitting & functionality  (Read 212277 times)

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
Re: People With Xenons
« Reply #390 on: 23 January 2011, 08:58 »
You will need a new BCM mate, you have same version as me.

When u doing your install Doc?

APR Stage 2+

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #391 on: 23 January 2011, 10:19 »
I ordered all manor of fitting goodies yesterday.

Kufatec halogen to xenon leads.
2x canbus cancel adapter things.
A number of high capacity resistors with various ratings as I'll have to "kid" the car that it still has main beam / DRL's - I'll try coding of course but I don't hold out much hope.
2x Aftermarket H11 ballasts.
2x H11 bulbs.

My plan is nothing like a factory fit as I'm trying to do a plug and play solution that I can take the lights onto my next golf or pull them off and sell them if I'm not getting along with them

The use of resistors *should* enable me to use the original, non xenon BCM to operate the xenon shutters.

Theory vs reality can be a pain in the a55 so let's see  :wink:

I'll let you know when the bits land then I just need a clear day in work to mess about  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 23 January 2011, 15:02 by The Doc »

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #392 on: 23 January 2011, 14:51 »
Looks fantastic Steve!!  :drool:

How much of a hassle were they to fit along with the new bcm?

Must now consult with the bank manager as I defo want them  :smiley:
7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #393 on: 25 January 2011, 12:02 »
I dare'nt leave it to her indoors! i'd have to sell the GTI :grin: Xenons should be standard fit on a GTI without doubt, i really don't do enough miles on un-lit roads to justify spending the amount of money vw demand, having said that the standard halogens are shockingly poor! hence the reason i spent a very reasonable £25 on some Osram nightbreakers, Jobs a good un! :wink:

Bought these today as a stop gap measure.
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=192

Did you have an alignment check after your bulb change?
« Last Edit: 25 January 2011, 12:08 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Jimmymature

« Reply #394 on: 25 January 2011, 13:25 »
I dare'nt leave it to her indoors! i'd have to sell the GTI :grin: Xenons should be standard fit on a GTI without doubt, i really don't do enough miles on un-lit roads to justify spending the amount of money vw demand, having said that the standard halogens are shockingly poor! hence the reason i spent a very reasonable £25 on some Osram nightbreakers, Jobs a good un! :wink:

How much better are these bulbs than the standards?  Worth the cash?

Jim

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #395 on: 25 January 2011, 13:42 »
These Philips bulbs and the Osram Nightbreaker Plus ones ARE considerably better than the standard Halogens which are frankly rubbish.

Jimble has the Osrams and can vouch for the improvement.

These Philips have just been released in H7. They use quartz glass instead of the ordinary glass that the Osrams have. They are supposed to be very slightly better than the Osrams but are not as good value.

However, neither of these bulbs are as good as HID lights.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2011, 19:49 by am1w »

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #396 on: 25 January 2011, 13:47 »

How much better are these bulbs than the standards?  Worth the cash?

Jim

Jim
The Phillips ones get very good reviews however the Osram Nightbreakers I believe came out slightly better in the Autoexpress test. Not much if anything in it though.

Doc
I'm also interested to know if the Phillips bulbs are anygood.
p.s. you also deserve a medal in bravery for the xenon retrofit your going to be carrying out as it sounds complicated ( well to me anyway ) :grin:

« Last Edit: 25 January 2011, 13:51 by MAW73 »

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #397 on: 25 January 2011, 14:02 »
The Philips X-treme Vision H7 bulbs I have purchased have just been released and have not been the subject of a comparative review. The review in Auto Express was for H4. The review did mention there was a bit of variance with the Philips, though it produced the most light. I have discussed the differences with Power Bulbs and am satisfied that I have made the correct purchase.

These bulbs have been bought as a stop-gap measure for me to see the pot holes more clearly. If they prove good enough for my requirements, then I will not bother with the hassle and expense of fitting OEM Bi-Xenons.

H7 bulbs are single filament and H4 bulbs are twin filament. Most manufacturers are moving over to H7. The Auto Express test was carried out with H4 bulbs in the Osram factory and Osram used their preferred housing and testing parameters which skewed the results a bit.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2011, 18:27 by am1w »

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #398 on: 25 January 2011, 14:10 »
Thanks SteveP..... just as I'm finally getting round to sorting out my rear LED lights.... you have to go fit those :grin:

p.s. They look very nice.... but like Kylie Minogues beaver I'd like to see them in the flesh  :laugh:

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #399 on: 25 January 2011, 14:20 »
Thanks SteveP..... just as I'm finally getting round to sorting out my rear LED lights.... you have to go fit those :grin:
p.s. They look very nice.... but like Kylie Minogues beaver I'd like to see them in the flesh  :laugh:

Shocking. :shocked:
Never judge a book by its cover. :lipsrsealed:

Still see you are surgically attached to the Interlagos wheels. :evil:
« Last Edit: 25 January 2011, 14:31 by am1w »