Author Topic: Bottom Turbo Hose Blown Off  (Read 23190 times)

Offline VWKD

• Not said much yet
Bottom Turbo Hose Blown Off
« on: 11 March 2008, 17:03 »
Had a similar nightmare on Sunday to a similar post on this page where I was accelerating away from a roundabout and suddenly loss of power and massive cloud of black smoke poured out the back  :cry: I assumed worse ie Turbo gone and drove/chugged to nearest lay by and called RAC.

RAC Bloke new instantly what it was and pushed bottom hose back on stating a clip was missing but to give it a go and see how far I got... I got about 5 miles then it went again :( 3 attempts later and RAC bloke said upto you but if you are happy to drive without pipe on then carry on and I'll follow you home (about 40 miles) he would have put me up for recovery but was a 2 hour wait and I had wife and baby in car (both kicking off)!

Anyway I was told that clip number 5 (retaining clip) on diagram below was missing so I have ordered this along with number 3 (seal) from VW.

My questions are...
Is this a common problem ?
Am I likely to find or should I check anything else whilst fitting new clip/seal ?
What is the best approach to replacing the clip ? I'm guessing it will be best to remove the plastic cover under the engine to access the pipe.

Any pointers much appreciated
cheers

1971 VW Type II Early Bay Window Turbo Diesel
1999 VW PAssat TDI 110 Running on 100% WVO
2002 VW GOlf MKIV GT TDI 150

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
Re: Bottom Turbo Hose Blown Off
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2008, 17:59 »
yeah pretty common, i had mine go although it was actually the pipe that had worn down.

what engine have you got and its it the one nearest the intercooler or not as they are different sizes (which is well handy)

you shouldn't need the seal as thats part of the hose, but guess it doesn't hurt.

regards to fitting, you can get away with jacking the passenger side up, remove the screws T25 IIRC on the cover plate, and unpop the cover, slides toward the back of the car.

give the ends of the hose a quick clean eg remove and dirt / grit, replace clip

replace cover.

if you let me know your engine code i can confirm the clip

Offline VWKD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2008, 08:21 »
Just got my V5 to get engine number and it says 'not known'  !

The clip I am replacing is the one circled (faint red circle on pic) basically where the bottom hose joins the elbow that connects to the FMIC.

It's a 02 150bhp engine btw.

cheers for you help.

Offline VWKD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2008, 23:21 »
OK

I replaced the retaining clip and seal although both were actually still there so probably didn't need replacing ! took car for a drive and the hose blew off within 20 yards  :cry:

It seems I am able to push and pull the pipes apart (red circled bit in the diagram above) without that much effort ! should this be the case or should the retaining clip lock the pipe in place securely enough that I can't pull the pipes apart ?

If you look at the pics below it looks to me as if the 'lumps' that the retaining clip push onto to lock in place are quite warn ! is this likely ? is it possible I need to replace the elbow pipe that goes to the FMIC ? (no 4 on diagram above) and chit ching no doubt.

Basically my concern is whether the pipe blowing off spells danger elsewhere some sort of blockage or overboosting !

As a short term bodge I have j-clipped a hose over the 2 pipes (see below) and this worked fine for my journey home from my lock-up (5 miles) however I did drive very carefully, though not so carefully that it wouldn't of blown off if I were still using the orig retaining clip set up !

Any help to avoid me having to take it to VW to have them look and charge me extortionate amounts to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

« Last Edit: 12 March 2008, 23:24 by VWKD »

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2008, 09:44 »
right i've not actually be able to check the part number on the clip, but can do that tonight although if your original one was there its irrelevant.

it looks like you've got the same problem i had, which was the notch that sticks out had worn down, i replaced the hose which cost about £40 from the stealers, and that fixed the problem.

if that notch is worn to a point then it will slip the clip, as it will work its way out.

i've still got my old pipe so i'll get a pic up of that and you can see how worn mine was.

hope this helps

Offline VWKD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2008, 10:45 »
Thanks for your help much appreciated.

Did some late night surfing last night and this seems to be the way forward for a reliable fix with out the expense of a new pipe !

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2008, 11:07 »
that fix looks like it would work fine, personally i'd get a new hose though.

or you could use it as an excuse to upgrade you pipe work