Author Topic: which mk 6?  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
Re: which mk 6?
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2012, 16:02 »
Back to OP MK6 is an improvement on the MK5 and a better all round car. Plus with the MK7 just round the corner the MK5 is going feel even older.

I am not a fan of Diesels but they do offer savings over a GTI but it just depends on the character of car you want, so I you are coming from a MK4 GTI then a GTI is going to be more in keeping with what you already have.

My advice is go and test drive some cars and decide what is the right car for you.
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2012, 16:11 »
The mk6 GT is a nicely specced car with the half alcantara seats and cruise etc but don't buy into the hype about the TSI engine being an economical pocket rocket, it's no slouch but it lacks real grunt and the fuel consumption is terrible, mid to high 30's on average at best, also there have been quite a few with coil packs failing etc etc, if i was dead set on the GT it would definately be the diesel!
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2012, 18:37 »
I currently have the petrol GT 160.  DON'T go for the petrol - mine has been unbelievably unrelaible - like 6 breakdown call outs unreliable  :shocked:
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Jimmymature

« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2012, 20:11 »
New-New cars are a Mug's game, if you're coming from a GTI get a second hand GTI so you won't be disapointed.

Regards,
Mug!
 :grin:

Agreed, do this.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #14 on: 31 July 2012, 21:36 »
Yes if it was me i would avoid the 1.4 as its a disaster waiting to happen. Im hearing too many horror storys coming back from the trade about it.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #15 on: 31 July 2012, 22:13 »
People are not mugs because buying new , I prefer new car all day every day love the smell running in also knowing fact no one has thrashed the nuts out of it  :wink: 

Get mk6 gti or the ED30 or even better R32.

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2012, 07:53 »
People are not mugs because buying new , I prefer new car all day every day love the smell running in also knowing fact no one has thrashed the nuts out of it  :wink: 

Agreed, if there weren't the people buying new there wouldn't be any secondhand bargains for the rest of us to buy :cool:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2012, 09:56 »
If you want a GTI for it's GTIness, then take your time and search out the best, well speced 3 year old one you can find. Swap the rear lights for LEDs and put a private plate on it and it will be unrecognisable from a much newer car to most people, but you will have spent half the money.

If you want a sensible car that offers a decent amount go and good looks, the GT TDI ticks all the boxes. There are loads of them to choose from, so getting a good one at sensible money is easy enough.

"People are not mugs because buying new , I prefer new car all day every day love the smell running in also knowing fact no one has thrashed the nuts out of it"

There is nothing quite like the feeling of owning a new car, but only if you can really afford it. I certainly don't think it's worth getting dripped up on a seemingly attractive looking finance deal to do it tho'.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline djshort_stuff

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2012, 12:06 »
Thanks for all your replies really glad i posted now i was dead set on a tsi gt maybe that has changed now! as for buying new, sorry that was my mistake, by new i meant new to me as ive had my gti for 10 fun years but its starting to feel old and the fact some not very nice person has dented the drivers door and taken the wing mirror off doesnt help  :cry:
I dont think i would buy brand new dont get me wrong i love the idea of it but just dont think its worth it when you can get some really good deals on a car thats a couple of years old, to me thats just run in age
Im after something with abit of poke around town and long journeys but abit more economical than my gti so i guess that means i should be looking at the GT TDI? but i think your right Edi 35 im just going to have to take a few for a test drive, dont think ill try the GTI though i know i will want it  :grin:
thanks again nice to get advice from people who own these cars  :smiley:

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2012, 13:01 »
Thanks for all your replies really glad i posted now i was dead set on a tsi gt maybe that has changed now! as for buying new, sorry that was my mistake, by new i meant new to me as ive had my gti for 10 fun years but its starting to feel old and the fact some not very nice person has dented the drivers door and taken the wing mirror off doesnt help  :cry:
I dont think i would buy brand new dont get me wrong i love the idea of it but just dont think its worth it when you can get some really good deals on a car thats a couple of years old, to me thats just run in age
Im after something with abit of poke around town and long journeys but abit more economical than my gti so i guess that means i should be looking at the GT TDI? but i think your right Edi 35 im just going to have to take a few for a test drive, dont think ill try the GTI though i know i will want it  :grin:
thanks again nice to get advice from people who own these cars  :smiley:

Try out the GTD 170 bhp all the economy with GTI styling...winner.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.