Author Topic: Which is the best 'all rounder' MK6?  (Read 7824 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Which is the best 'all rounder' MK6?
« on: 29 January 2012, 10:53 »
I fully appreciate this thread will end up like a junior school playground punch up, but what the hell, here goes:

I bought one of the early mk6 GTIs. I was torn between an immaculate late model ED30/Pirelli or the newly launched mk6 GTI. I plumped for the mk6 mainly due to the fact it had the new engine which was supposedly better on fuel and very tuneable, and the fact that I'm not the worlds biggest fan of the K04 turbo as I can't drive properly and find it laggy. For me, that was the best of the Golf range back in 2009.

My first one was bought as a standard spec car as I knew most of the things I wanted to fit could be retro fitted much cheaper than factory options and thus protect the value of the car better long term by not losing lots of money on factory extras.

So, fast forward a couple of years and I'd got itchy feet again. I looked at everything in the VAG stable and most things from other marques. But for me the standard GTI still won me over (I have a 25 year history of GTIs so may be very biased).
So I got another one back last September, with a few extras this time that will no doubt cost me big time in the future.

But the real reason for this thread is a conversation I had with a friend of mine who works for a car leasing company. He is a big VAG fan too, but very open minded, and drives a huge range of cars all the time. He recently brought round a new GTD DSG for me to have a play with, and I was mightily impressed with it. But I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be with it. We had a chat about which would be the best 'all rounder' from the Golf stable and both agreed that the GT TDI 140 DSG was the best when value, driving fun (the 140 just seems more responsive low down than the 170, and the CR 170 doesn't have the kick that made the PD 170 such fun), comfort, running costs, price and spec were all taken into consideration.

I'm not saying it is the best drivers car in the range, the GTI still holds that for me and the R is obviously a step up again from that, but not for me as it's just too expensive for my meagre wages.

But I do reckon that the GT TDI DSG 140 has the best blend of talents.

Let's hear your disagreements and let the fighting commence...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Re: Which is the best 'all rounder' MK6?
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2012, 11:12 »
I think the GT TDI DSG 140 CR is the pick of the bunch too.

Flameproof outfit on.....

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2012, 12:25 »
I think the GT TDI DSG 140 CR is the pick of the bunch too.

Flameproof outfit on.....

+1

if you insist on having a dsg then have it with this engine  :cool:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2012, 13:13 »
Even before reading this I thought from day one the gt tdi manual was the best
« Last Edit: 29 January 2012, 13:15 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2012, 13:33 »

I'd agree...all things considered, the 140 TDI in GT spec is probably the most complete and cost efficient all rounder.
With a manual gearbox.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2012, 13:49 »

I'd agree...all things considered, the 140 TDI in GT spec is probably the most complete and cost efficient all rounder.
With a manual gearbox.

Nah manuals are crap, it has to be a DSG  :grin:

So why on earth are we all driving GTI & GTD variants?

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2012, 13:58 »

Probably because we are happy to pay a bit more and suffer higher running costs for something a bit more indivudual/special?

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2012, 14:11 »

Probably because we are happy to pay a bit more and suffer higher running costs for something a bit more indivudual/special?

And it's a GTI forum that would naturally include more 'enthusiasts' who want something a little bit more than the ''best all rounder''.
Still, it's early days yet and obviously more people with more opinions will read this and may or may not be inclined to comment...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2012, 14:36 »
as someone who has to diagnose faults on the entire VAG range on a daily basis, i'm inclined to agree with the OP.

although there's far less to go wrong on a nice mk1 GTI :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2012, 14:43 »
as someone who has to diagnose faults on the entire VAG range on a daily basis, i'm inclined to agree with the OP.

although there's far less to go wrong on a nice mk1 GTI :grin:

Between the holes in the bodywork and chassis that is...  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner