Author Topic: which is the best car the GTI mk6 or GTD 170 MK6 ???  (Read 47391 times)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: which is the best car the GTI mk6 or GTD 170
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2010, 19:24 »
My personal view on the GTD is that it is a compromise, and if I was spending that much money I wouldn't want to be doing that.  To be asking the question the OP must have his doubts ... how will you feel when a 'real' GTI pulls up beside you  :evil:

That said if you do a lot of mileage its a very good compromise but otherwise...

Just my opinion  :smiley:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2010, 19:28 »
My personal view on the GTD is that it is a compromise, and if I was spending that much money I wouldn't want to be doing that.  To be asking the question the OP must have his doubts ... how will you feel when a 'real' GTI pulls up beside you  :evil:

That said if you do a lot of mileage its a very good compromise but otherwise...

Just my opinion  :smiley:

The man has a very valid point!!

Im dreading the day an R pulls up next to me :cry:

Good job I got the remap when i did though  :laugh:

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2010, 19:30 »

Steve, have you tested the mk6 gti?

Best way to get a true comparison to the GTD and your ed30.

Yes i have twice , and thought GTD is just as good if not better??? But undecided ??? The gti is also very very good , but build week 9 and not confirmd is doing my F%*(^# head in to honest???

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2010, 20:25 »
Didn't VW do a GTD years ago (mk1/mk2). Very good car especially for company car drivers and farmers (cheap fuel).

At the end of the day what do you want out of a car??
A practical, fast, desirable and fun hot hatch or a practical and sensible warm (except in the winter as diesels takes ages to get warm) hatch.

GTD is a brilliant and sensible car. GTI is just way more fun.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline B3n

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2010, 20:31 »
Steve, I'd hang in there BW09 isn't that far off!  :wink:

I tested both cars and GTD was too understated for me (but that's just my opinion!).

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2010, 20:39 »
Didn't VW do a GTD years ago (mk1/mk2).

Yep, MK2 GTD:

Jay on here used to have one but I think it kept breaking down :(

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 16 January 2010, 20:54 »
I test drove both back to back, with no intention of buying either... for about 3 hours each.
I was always going to order the Golf R, it was just a way of testing a manual v's DSG.

The GTD didn't look quite as good as the GTI because the ride height was slightly higher and the exhausts don't look so good.  The GTD did have better looking wheels  :shocked:
The GTI handled a bit better - probably due to its slightly lower stance.  Power wise, the GTI had a bit more, but I was surprised by the GTD and how much ooooomph it actually had.  People saying a chipped GTD v a GTI would beat a GTI are probably right - but its not a fair comparison as a chipped GTI would beat a chipped GTD!

In my opinion, a diesel car is always a second choice.  IF I was doing big miles, I'd feel like I'd HAVE to take a diesel for cost saving.  If this was the case, a GTD would be a great choice.  I'd always pick a petrol if it was feasible though, as I enjoy revving the t1ts out of it!!

It depends on your circumstances... big miles = GTD, low miles = GTI!
A BW09 car is likely to arrive in March... so I would hang on for what you really want.  Whats another few weeks wait?!?!
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #27 on: 16 January 2010, 20:55 »

The man has a very valid point!!

Good job I got the remap when i did though  :laugh:
[/quote]

It's OK, you'll just about keep up with your remap.
Thing is - unless you're really close (or behind it)- you won't know.
Good thing or bad I don't know. No dis to the R by the way I just love my GTI.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #28 on: 16 January 2010, 20:59 »
I test drove both back to back, with no intention of buying either... for about 3 hours each.
I was always going to order the Golf R, it was just a way of testing a manual v's DSG.

The GTD didn't look quite as good as the GTI because the ride height was slightly higher and the exhausts don't look so good.  The GTD did have better looking wheels  :shocked:
The GTI handled a bit better - probably due to its slightly lower stance.  Power wise, the GTI had a bit more, but I was surprised by the GTD and how much ooooomph it actually had.  People saying a chipped GTD v a GTI would beat a GTI are probably right - but its not a fair comparison as a chipped GTI would beat a chipped GTD!

In my opinion, a diesel car is always a second choice.  IF I was doing big miles, I'd feel like I'd HAVE to take a diesel for cost saving.  If this was the case, a GTD would be a great choice.  I'd always pick a petrol if it was feasible though, as I enjoy revving the t1ts out of it!!

It depends on your circumstances... big miles = GTD, low miles = GTI!
A BW09 car is likely to arrive in March... so I would hang on for what you really want.  Whats another few weeks wait?!?!

The most sensible comments i've read yet.  agree with everything you say.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 16 January 2010, 21:06 »

Who cares what other people have?

GTD DSG for all day and every day and a Mk2 16V for a Sunday morning B road blast.  :smiley:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.