Author Topic: which is the best car the GTI mk6 or GTD 170 MK6 ???  (Read 47396 times)

Offline jay2dogs

• Not said much yet
Re: which is the best car the GTI mk6 or GTD 170
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2010, 14:46 »
I'd keep yoour edition 30 to be honest. But if you fancy a change, take them both out for a good test drive! Good luck, you must be loaded LOL.  :wink:

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2010, 14:54 »
Which way is it superior then? i woud like to know? Thanks mate Steve

Quicker, faster, lighter, quieter, more engaging to drive, better turn-in, better weight distribution, better feel-good factor, heater warms up quicker.

Unless you prefer the GTD's grey cloth seats, silver grille stripes, exhaust placement, Seattle/Vancouver alloys and 7mm more ride height up front, of course. Don't get me wrong, both are exceptionally good cars and the differences are smaller than they've ever been between a petrol and diesel. In the real world I think the ones you'd notice most are the noise, the heater warming up and on the odd occasion that you really want to go fast, the performance.
Golf R

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2010, 15:04 »
mac7 has got the nail and hit it right on the head.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2010, 16:02 »
Okay I'll modify my previous comments as to what's best for you.
Do you use high revs much?
Yes= GTI
No= GTD with re-map

They both have their good and bad points. I know a GTI would be wasted on my Dad for instance so it's not the best Golf for him
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2010, 16:09 »
Keep the Ed30 . Unless you want a slower car :wink:

Offline H12

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2010, 16:42 »
My current car is a diesel which is much better on mpg but sounds like.... a diesel ! I missed the sportier sound of the petrol engine and running out of revs far too quickly in the diesel hence I've got a GTI on order..

Personally if lower running costs are most important, I'd vouch for the diesel. If you're not that bothered about more frequent fuel stops, higher insurance etc, the GTI would be the one for me  :smiley:

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #16 on: 16 January 2010, 18:16 »
Well guys , i have just takin it out  the GTD for a test drive, and its a fantastic car IMO refined its not not noisy at all brilliant in corners!! Loads of torqe but he just offered me a 28,500 quid motor for 27,000 so its tempting offer?? Dynaudio ACC 510 sat nav 18'' alloys, DSG, tinted window's, multifunction steering wheel, flappy paddle and it goes like stink!! :rolleyes:.

What to do ?????? Its also in white and I dont do white ????? But with this offer???????
« Last Edit: 16 January 2010, 18:19 by Steve30 »

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #17 on: 16 January 2010, 18:25 »

Quicker, faster, lighter, quieter, more engaging to drive, better turn-in, better weight distribution, better feel-good factor, heater warms up quicker.

Unless you prefer the GTD's grey cloth seats, silver grille stripes, exhaust placement, Seattle/Vancouver alloys and 7mm more ride height up front, of course. Don't get me wrong, both are exceptionally good cars and the differences are smaller than they've ever been between a petrol and diesel. In the real world I think the ones you'd notice most are the noise, the heater warming up and on the odd occasion that you really want to go fast, the performance.
Take one for test drive and you wont say that??

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 January 2010, 18:54 »

Take one for test drive and you wont say that??

I did. I do.  :grin:

Glad you enjoyed it. If he's offered it to you for £27K, tell him you'll pay £26K.
Golf R

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #19 on: 16 January 2010, 19:08 »

Steve, have you tested the mk6 gti?

Best way to get a true comparison to the GTD and your ed30.

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!