Author Topic: which is the best car the GTI mk6 or GTD 170 MK6 ???  (Read 47393 times)

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
which is the best car the GTI mk6 or GTD 170 MK6 ???
« on: 16 January 2010, 13:08 »
I have just been told there is a 170 gtd in the show room ready to sell, but i have a Mk6 GTi on order build week 9 . Not sure which to buy now??

What are the pro's & cons of these 2 cars? I have driven a 140 jetta the new one and was impressed with the engine??  :undecided:

I currently have an ED30 58 plate ???
« Last Edit: 16 January 2010, 21:59 by Steve30 »

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline squirrelGTi

• Here all the time
Re: which is the best car the GTI mk6 or GTD 170
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2010, 13:16 »
I've just come home from the dealership.

I'm torn between the two as well. There's going to be a massive wait for my order. If they take my order now, it won't be process until April. So delivery July/Aug.

I drove the GTD and GTi back to back. The GTD is a very nice all rounder, and real world performance probably isn't much different.

I guess it comes to how desperate you are for a car. If you don't mind waiting then hang on in there buddy!

As others have said, it'll all be worth it in the end!
Gone GTi | 3dr | Manual | Carbon Grey | Xenons | Monza 18's | RCD 510 |Rear Camera | Winter Pack.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2010, 13:23 »
Insane question, the PETROL GTI is the better car but it all depends on circumstances, how much mileage you do, etc etc.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2010, 13:32 »
Oil is 110 per liter cheeper for GTD , for ed30 its 119 a liter petrol, my milage is 12 000 a year?? tax is much cheeper for GTD 125 quid a year??
« Last Edit: 16 January 2010, 21:58 by Steve30 »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2010, 13:40 »
If you were ordering today i would say save the hassle and go for the GTD in London or any city day to day it will be as good imo. But as your cars only BW09 thats not far off, there will always be a what if, if you go with the GTD now.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2010, 14:03 »
Insane question, the PETROL GTI is the better car but it all depends on circumstances, how much mileage you do, etc etc.

It's not necessarily the better car as that is very subjective to the person buying it. Unless you actually make use of the full rev range of the GTI regularly (which most people don't) then the GTD makes a very good case for itself.
I'd be hard pressed to make a choice between them.

It's a bit like saying the R is the best Golf. It's not. It's just the highest spec Golf. The best Golf is the one that suits your needs best. In my not very humble, tired and grumpy opinion of course  :evil:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline DonnieDarko

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2010, 14:20 »
if you like driving, go for the petrol. if you like driving, but money is tighter, save your cash now for the extra fuel later and get a mk5 gti.

if its just a car to you, or you do a lot of miles then the GTD will be a great car.

i'd guess if you drive the gtd hard you won't get much better fuel economy than the petrol.

i'm seriously regretting opting for diesel, and also for cancelling my order for a gti.
Just sold an S5 - previously mkV R32 DSG Metallic Grey with RNS 510 (thanks to MortyGT140)

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2010, 14:24 »
if you like driving, go for the petrol. if you like driving, but money is tighter, save your cash now for the extra fuel later and get a mk5 gti.

if its just a car to you, or you do a lot of miles then the GTD will be a great car.

i'd guess if you drive the gtd hard you won't get much better fuel economy than the petrol.

i'm seriously regretting opting for diesel, and also for cancelling my order for a gti.

I already own an Ed30 58 plate!! But i have been offered 170GTD today but also have a mk6 gti on order bild week 9 not confirmed though???

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2010, 14:32 »
The GTD's only advantages are all financial - cheaper, better mpg, lower road tax band and lower company car tax. Even if you do a low mileage, financially the diesel makes sense. Roughly £1500 for a private owner driving 12,000 miles.

But the GTI is superior in every single other way.
Golf R

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2010, 14:36 »
The GTD's only advantages are all financial - cheaper, better mpg, lower road tax band and lower company car tax. Even if you do a low mileage, financially the diesel makes sense. Roughly £1500 for a private owner driving 12,000 miles.

But the GTI is superior in every single other way.

Which way is it superior then? i woud like to know? Thanks mate Steve

The car they have if fully loaded sat nav ACC the all lot winter pack, lux pack, xenons!!
« Last Edit: 16 January 2010, 14:42 by Steve30 »