Author Topic: Which other cars did you consider before buying the Mk6?  (Read 11325 times)

Offline DDRFan

• GTI forum regular
Re: Which other cars did you consider before buying the Mk6?
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2009, 20:38 »
I was considering a Focus ST (this was sometime last year) When I phoned the Ford dealer to try arranging a test drive, in so many words I was told I would need be already ready to buy the car instead of just wasting their time and fuel. I told him I was considering the GTI and he recommended me to go test the GTI then come back and when I was ready for the ST.

Nice.  :undecided:

*edit*
One of the pet gripes I have about the choice of hot-hatches is the lack of 5 door options.  AFAIK the GTI, Focus ST, maybe the Leons only offer 5 doors, most of the other decent ones eg Astra VXR, Civic Type-R, Clio, Megane, only offer 3 doors, and for me having the practicality of 5 doors is great and I got that in my current car and it would feel like a downgrade to go back to 3. So is there an obvious sore-thumb obvious reason why more manufacturers offer 4/5 doors?
« Last Edit: 16 October 2009, 20:46 by DDRFan »

Jkctr

« Reply #11 on: 16 October 2009, 21:19 »
Yes its hugely affects the handling and adds huge costs to develop!

Also 5 doors look sh!te!  :wink:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #12 on: 16 October 2009, 21:19 »
Audi TT, S3.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #13 on: 16 October 2009, 21:38 »
Yes its hugely affects the handling and adds huge costs to develop!

Also 5 doors look sh!te!  :wink:

Oh you nasty little boy :evil: :evil: :evil:my car has 5 doors and does not look s...e!!
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Jkctr

« Reply #14 on: 16 October 2009, 21:39 »
 :grin:

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
« Reply #15 on: 16 October 2009, 22:55 »
Never really considered the MKVI, but the ALL new MKVII looks promising. :wink:

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline JJH

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 16 October 2009, 23:17 »
I currently drive an A3 170 DSG with 80k on it; I dont want to drop down in power so the Mk6 GTD is a good option. If VW did a GT with the same engine in light blue I would have ordered one of those (I like the 'soft' front end with the friendly round fog lights)

I looked at another A3, a black edition, a BMW 123d coupe, 320d and A4. 

I'll be waiting until January for it and hope I wont be disappointed.

My orginal plan was to go for a year old 335d but ultimately it would not have been worth the outlay.

The main reasons I plumped for a GTD was the tax bracket (E), the monthly payments, reported handling and the many options available.

I do 27k per annum and in comparison to another A3 (same £25k) the lease payments are £381 vs £427. In these hard times I reckon it looks good  to try and lower costs.

Although I pay BIK from my pay packet, I feel really lucky to spec a £25k+ car and not even have to contribute towards the fuel.

After much deliberation I finally went for a manual five door GTD in white with several options inlcuding dynaudio, rear view and a retro fit Fiscon.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the car, specially for the dynaudio.

Not having to pay for a car frees up money to fund trackdays on a CBR600RR sportsbike.

If I was buying a car for fun with my own money I would be seriously tempted by a Lotus.

« Last Edit: 16 October 2009, 23:43 by JJH »
GTD White 5dr, ACC, Sunroof, winter pack, in transit.......

Offline Mk6GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 16 October 2009, 23:22 »
Never really considered the MKVI, but the ALL new MKVII looks promising. :wink:

Lol
Mk6 Gti Three door manual black

Offline denyason

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 17 October 2009, 04:59 »
I test drove a Focus ST and sat in an RS.
Also thought about a Civic type R but the engine did not suit me.

Really glad I bought VW, no regrets.
the focus and vauxhalls will make u cry.  worth peanuts after 3 yrs.  on the otherhand though the gti is expensive, you will recup far more.  also the civic has jack faeces review.  i dont know about you but i'd be embarassed if i had a vauxhall or a civic.  it aint got any class.  the only ppl that like these cars are chav's.
this is our fifth golf, and i've only ever had german cars.  i got audi tt (mark 2).  its faster than the golf gti which shares its engine.

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2009, 19:40 »
I test drove a Focus ST and sat in an RS.
Also thought about a Civic type R but the engine did not suit me.

Really glad I bought VW, no regrets.
the focus and vauxhalls will make u cry.  worth peanuts after 3 yrs.  on the otherhand though the gti is expensive, you will recup far more.  also the civic has jack faeces review.  i dont know about you but i'd be embarassed if i had a vauxhall or a civic.  it aint got any class.  the only ppl that like these cars are chav's.
this is our fifth golf, and i've only ever had german cars.  i got audi tt (mark 2).  its faster than the golf gti which shares its engine.

Can't carry a fence panel though, and it's girly (you might be a girl on the otherhand and then it's OK)
Currently digging a bunker.