Author Topic: Which options to opt for???  (Read 29869 times)

Offline DWGTI

• Not said much yet
  • 1996 GTI 16V
Which options to opt for???
« on: 21 September 2009, 12:24 »
Hi guys, been reading your forum for a month or two now, its fantastic and very imformative.

I drive a MK3 Gti 16v, its going in for scrappage when I can pluck up the courage!  Ive test drove the Gti, S3 and BMW125i.  I honestly prefer the Golf as its an all rounder unlike the bone breaking s3 and rear-end happy Beemer(not good in scottish winters)

Down to business - Im going to buy the gti, It will be Candy white, 3dr, 18" monza's with xenons.  And that's where the options stop as I can't decide? Which do you recommend? The DSG or Manual thing is undecided, iv'e been keeping a close eye on that debate!

Im 22, no kids, live in wet/cold scotland and happy to go all out on the Golf.

Thanks in advance and look forward to the replies...

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: Which options to opt for???
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2009, 12:33 »
If you want max comfort when driving motorways, or if you want the fun of the scotts windey roads or that extra feel of control I'd add ACC.

For me, defo make it manual, you want to actually drive the car, not turn it into some advanced taxi.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2009, 12:41 »
As you'll find out on this forum people have different opinions on most of the optional extras.
If I were to say to you buy a manaul others would say DSG, if I were to say go for AAC others would say it's not worth the money.
It really is about personal choice and what you a willing to pay for and if it suits your lifestyle.

Best thing to do is to have a good long look through the brochure or web and then if you have any specific questions about any of the options just ask.

Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2009, 12:43 »
As you'll find out on this forum people have different opinions on most of the optional extras.
If I were to say to you buy a manaul others would say DSG, if I were to say go for AAC others would say it's not worth the money.
It really is about personal choice and what you a willing to pay for and if it suits your lifestyle.

Best thing to do is to have a good long look through the brochure or web and then if you have any specific questions about any of the options just ask.

Amen to that... I think thats one of the most sensible advice I have read in any forum!! :laugh:
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2009, 12:47 »

Amen to that... I think thats one of the most sensible advice I have read in any forum!! :laugh:

He's asking for personal recommendations, not for someone to tell him to look through the brochure, so its infact not answering the guys question. He's asking for differing opinions, thats what recommendations mean and thats what he will get, I'm sure he's prepared for them.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2009, 12:49 »
Leather... - Its really classy looking in the GTI, very comfy and add's that touch of wow factor to an already brilliant interior.

Sunroof - Wish I wasnt late in adding it to my spec. - More light let in to the cabin, makes the car look better imo, and of course, helps on the warm days without having to use your aircon all the time.

Offline jdjd

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2009, 12:50 »

He's asking for personal recommendations,

Personally ide recommend the revolving number plate. And stinger missles behind the headlights for those sunday drivers.  :nerd:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2009, 12:52 »

He's asking for personal recommendations,

Personally ide recommend the revolving number plate. And stinger missles behind the headlights for those sunday drivers.  :nerd:

There you go, at least you never told him to RTFB.

Offline Radek

• GTI forum regular
  • Good things come to those who wait
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2009, 12:54 »
From my personal experience:
DSG  :laugh: Must have. I don't miss the manual TBH. And shifting into manual mode is good enough for me...

Dynaudio plus one of the better stereos. I agree that sat-nav is a little bit expensive (but I took it anyway:))

ACC - I don't really see the huge difference between sports and comfort mode. Maybe next year when I take her for a couple of laps at the Ring.
Parking sensors are useful but could live without. Park assist system is nice when you want to show someone a trick and the engine is still cold :)
Xenons really nice but the standart lamps would be ok.

I would never take leather as I'm not 60 and the cloth matches the youthfull image of the GTI. Sunroof - not in my spec as it serves no purpose - you can open windows if you don't want to use the AC.
But these are mine personal choices and I don't want to argue if someone else has a different view.

One think we can agree on is the Vw premium bluetooth is a waste of money! Works only with some Nokias and Samsungs (IRRC).
Golf GTI VI DSG - died on the road, resurrected, came back as zombi, sold
R - rising blue, 5-door, DSG, ACC, something something...

Offline DWGTI

• Not said much yet
  • 1996 GTI 16V
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2009, 13:01 »
Cheers lads for the quick reply, only turned my back for a few seconds! The ACC sounds good, leather i cant see how its worth the £ as I love the tartan!  :smiley: . Ive read the brochure over and over so now looking for your opions "missiles and all"  :grin:.  Keep them coming.  Oh is Dynaudio worth it?