Author Topic: Remap and Software updates for ECU  (Read 3424 times)

Offline jdjd

• I live here
Remap and Software updates for ECU
« on: 20 August 2009, 12:15 »
When i remap my car. Am i quite likely to have it removed when i go to the dealers when they try and update software on the ecu because the golf is new?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Remap and Software updates for ECU
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2009, 12:20 »
When i remap my car. Am i quite likely to have it removed when i go to the dealers when they try and update software on the ecu because the golf is new?

yes thats a high possibility but will only happen if they are updating the ECU software.  For general diagnostics and such they won't be re-writing the ECU software

Most tuners will reload the map for free should it be wiped and some take into account factory updates when writing the latest version of their maps  :nerd:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2009, 13:45 »
Fully agree with what Rhyso said, but you also need to be aware that you MUST inform the VW dealer it has had a remap - because IF they do need to factory update the ECU, then any wrong checksum could toast your ECU.

The only other way round this is to categorically advise the dealer NOT to apply any new ECU updates - but whichever way you choose to play it - they will obviously smell a rat, and know it has been remaped - and therefore may affect any future engine related warranty issues.

The safest way is to wait until the car is out of warranty before remapping - but the choice is yours.  I ain't preaching - just giving you all sides of the story.  :smiley:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2009, 13:52 »
EDITED!!!

just to add that some dealers are also remapping agents and therefore (in theory) help retain your manufacturers warranty although it is VW who have the final say on whether or not warranty is granted so make sure you read the very small print at the bottom when purchasing the car / remap

one of the chaps on here had his ED30 remapped by his dealer with very good results at last years JKM; think the remap was supplied by Richter  :undecided:

also i think Red Robin's dealer has recently become or was in the process of becoming a REVO agent
« Last Edit: 20 August 2009, 14:29 by Rhyso »

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2009, 14:25 »
just to add that some dealers are also remapping agents and therefore help retain your manufacturers warranty

Nope.  You need to be a tad careful with that comment.  :nerd:

I accept that a certain few dealers are becomming agents for remaps - and that the dealer in question will state they will warrant the remap - but that will still invalidate the Volkswagen UK and Volkswagen AG warranties.  So that may be perfectly fine if you don't own a passport, and never leave your locality - but if you travel a lot, and break down or sommat 100 miles away from your local - you will get recovered to your nearest.  That is exactly what happend to the chap with the Seat Leon Cupra - bye bye warranty, and if you don't actually own the car, bye bye to that too!  :wink:

one of the chaps on here had his ED30 remapped by his dealer with very good results at last years JKM; think the remap was supplied by Richter  :undecided:

also i think Red Robin's dealer has recently become or was in the process of becoming a REVO agent

But no matter how good Revo, or any of the other remaps are, and no matter how good your local stealer is - it is NOT they who have the final say in warranty work.
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2009, 14:29 »
 :embarassed:

updated my original post

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2009, 14:31 »
:embarassed:

updated my original post

:wink: :afro:
-----

I feel like a homo