Author Topic: tyres 225 want to put on 245  (Read 3227 times)

Offline DanGB

• Not said much yet
Re: tyres 225 want to put on 245
« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2008, 13:00 »
when your parking at slow speeds mate.
06 Seat Leon Sport TFSI ~ APR Stage 3 Big turbo conversion- Garret GT2871RS ~ APR Manifold + downpipe ~ APR Intercooler ~ APR Fuel pump ~ APR ~ Intergrated Engineering Rods ~ APR injectors ~ APR Induction kit ~ Milltek Full non-resonated exhaust ~ Southbend Clutch ~ Peloquin LSD ~ Snow performance Water/methenol kit ~Forge shortshifter ~ Powerflex torque arm insert ~ KW Variant 3 Coilovers ~ H&R Front and rear ARB's ~ 10mm Front spacers ~ AP Racing 6 pots  330mm discs

Offline The Wheel Man

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2008, 13:03 »
when your parking at slow speeds mate.

So how much force do you think is needed to compress 3mm of rubber with a car??  :huh:

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2008, 13:04 »
Swap the TTS alloys as well :wink: they are 8" wide and will look much better with the 245's. Add to that the missis rolling on Monza's on 225 sections and it should slow her up a bit :wink: :evil:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #13 on: 01 September 2008, 13:54 »
The 245/35/18 is 6mm smaller in diameter than a 225/40/18,

Huh - actually more like 8 or 9mm difference in diameter!  4.5mm is the radius, and therefore the ride height!  :tongue:

(225/40 ZR18 has an overall dia of 637 to 645mm - depending upon manufacturer [Toyo or Mich], whereas 245/35 ZR18 has an OD of 629mm [Toyo])

take into account the squashing effect and they will be about the same.

WTF are you on about?  If the load rating and the tyre pressures are the same, then the "squashing effect" will be identical, therefore the ride height will 4.5mm lower!

TBH, ive fitted 245 to a 7.5 rim before and i diddnt like the look..... each to there own though!!

Yup, agreed, ETTO.

And just to clarify, a 245 is NOT recommended for a 7.5" rim - with 8.0 to 9.5 being the recommended rim widths.

took them off wifes new tts cos the buffers on the side didnot protect the wheels u know what i mean 2 scuffed wheels in 2 days of picking it up.

The so called "rim protector" is a load of rubbish IMO.  How is a small strip of rubber 3mm deep going to stop 1200kg of car from hitting a wheel on a kurb???? 

Ahhhh, but different tyre manufacturers use different methods of "rim protectors".  Pirelli, along with most of the Jap and Korean tyres use the useless rubber "lip" mentioned.  However, Michelin, the latest Continental, and Dunlop - all use the entire height of the sidewall as a rim protector.  This method is noticably more useful than the pathetic 3mm lip still used by inferior tyre manufacturers.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline trix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 01 September 2008, 16:28 »
i think i will just try them all a bit two technical.will they or wont they rub that was the question.x

Offline The Wheel Man

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2008, 17:54 »
Ref TT: Agreed on the OD, got my sums wrong (no surprise there!)

What i mean by the squashing effect is that the 245 tyre will be pushed in by the 7.5" rim.  The majority of the width will overhang the alloy but i would have thought that there would be a small increase in the height of the tyre (based on no more than what i think would happen, i woulddnt fit this combo to a customers car so i cant say for sure)

i think i will just try them all a bit two technical.will they or wont they rub that was the question.x

I think that joesgti answered you question on this :wink:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #16 on: 02 September 2008, 10:13 »
Ref TT: Agreed on the OD, got my sums wrong (no surprise there!)

OK, no worries.  Afterall, what's a few mm between mates?  :grin:

What i mean by the squashing effect is that the 245 tyre will be pushed in by the 7.5" rim.  The majority of the width will overhang the alloy but i would have thought that there would be a small increase in the height of the tyre (based on no more than what i think would happen, i woulddnt fit this combo to a customers car so i cant say for sure)

Ahhhh, I see exactly now.  Yes, agreed, the 245 on a 7½" rim will have a "ballooning" effect, an un-natural kind of bulge in the sidewall.  :wink:  :smiley:  I suppose it's no different to the current trend of "stretching" - which, IMEVHO, must be THE worst mod going - I think that particular trend looks really aweful.  :sad:  :sick:  ETTOT.  :smiley:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo