Author Topic: front door speakers(mk3)  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Dave_GTI16v

• Not said much yet
  • 'Guns N' Roses'
front door speakers(mk3)
« on: 26 February 2004, 18:33 »
hi all, i want to change my door speakers and i want to know if i have to take the door panel out? or can u do it by just taking out the mesh? and if i do have to take the panel off, is it an easy job? thanks.
MK3 GTI 16V '95'
''its better to regret something u did, than something u didnt do''

Offline vr6ed

• Not said much yet
  • Goose - '89 Gti 8v
Re:front door speakers(mk3)
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2004, 20:35 »
Just the mesh mate.  Ease it off with a flat blade screwdriver or similar, then you'll find 4 x cross head srews.   Remove them and out pops the speaker.  Easy as pie  8)
You have about as much charisma as a Tree stump with Special needs...

Offline Dave_GTI16v

• Not said much yet
  • 'Guns N' Roses'
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2004, 15:59 »
ok cheers mate, im gonna have a mess with that tomorrow, just some other things id like to add, what size speakers would be best for the doors(10cm)? and how many watts should they be, im running all speakers through a 4 x 60 alpine head unit including 6 x 9's(240w) and ive already replaced the dashboard speakers with some 75 watt infinitys. (i cant be arsed gettin an amp for the 6 x9's)
MK3 GTI 16V '95'
''its better to regret something u did, than something u didnt do''

Offline vr6ed

• Not said much yet
  • Goose - '89 Gti 8v
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2004, 18:15 »
6.5inch (17cm) speakers are the best for the doors, either components or coax.  I've got Components in the driver, and coaxes in the VR6.  They both sound good.  I'm running Boston Accoustics which are rated 15-150watt off a sony 4x52w head unit and they cope fine.  Generally speakers want to be matched to the rating of the stereo.
You have about as much charisma as a Tree stump with Special needs...

Offline LostBok

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2004, 12:34 »
I've also got an Alpine 4x60W (V-drive amp) in my head-unit, just ordered a pair of Pioneer 17C5's (for the front) and a pair of 13C5's (to replace the 13cm component set in the back walls). Power handling is 50W RMS on the front and 40W RMS on the back, but they have a good range (28Hz-32kHz) and I'd prefer not to have to get a sub as boot is TIGHT! Aprox ?200 for front and rear...

Alpine SPX's looked V nice (60W RMS, 240W PMPO, good full range, sweet build, etc), but was gonna be ?1000 for the four speakers!! SPR's were approx ?250, less range / performance on paper and I was advised that they're no better than the Pioneers (above).

In my last car, the speakers were 4 x Pioneer 1375's on a Sony CDXMP30 (4 x 52W), sounded pretty decent... even had good base without the sub, just a bit fuller with the sub...
LOSTBOK
Audi A4(B6): 2.5TDi Quattro Sport: Factory fitted Xenons, BOSE, and full sports leather "Soul Black / Titanium".
Mods: All OEM: S-Line bodykit, RNS-E, Bluetooth, Audi R8 FBMFSW, SDS-High voice control, full DIS, cruise control, Aero wiper mod.
In progress: 5 x OEM S4/Ronal 'Avus' 18's & 235/45ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1-R (bah! wheels delayed until WC 27-JUL-09)
Researching: Colour DIS, Freeview and DAB tuner with iPodvid/PSP/AV in for the RNS-E.

Offline Cupra Turbo

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2004, 00:18 »
the door panel only needs to come off if u have a lower spec mk3, one without wiring or grommets ...

GTI's have all this.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2004, 00:18 by Black_GTI »

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=38

Modified Golf GTI, 130Bhp(est), All Smoked Plus Quad Headl

Offline perd999

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2004, 19:41 »
wot size should i ask for wen ordering some new dashboard tweeters ....?
cheers

Offline LostBok

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2004, 17:07 »
pretty sure it's the std 25mm.... usually all the tweeters are the same size.... will let u know if I get there first  ;)
LOSTBOK
Audi A4(B6): 2.5TDi Quattro Sport: Factory fitted Xenons, BOSE, and full sports leather "Soul Black / Titanium".
Mods: All OEM: S-Line bodykit, RNS-E, Bluetooth, Audi R8 FBMFSW, SDS-High voice control, full DIS, cruise control, Aero wiper mod.
In progress: 5 x OEM S4/Ronal 'Avus' 18's & 235/45ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1-R (bah! wheels delayed until WC 27-JUL-09)
Researching: Colour DIS, Freeview and DAB tuner with iPodvid/PSP/AV in for the RNS-E.