Author Topic: GTI Performance alloy corrosion/ white worm  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Berwickchaser7

• Just got here
GTI Performance alloy corrosion/ white worm
« on: 06 May 2021, 13:41 »
Just wondering if anyone has had issues with corrosion / white worm with their alloys? Car is only 18 months old so hoping it can be sorted with warranty…

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: GTI Performance alloy corrosion/ white worm
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2021, 13:46 »
Do a search, there are numerous threads regarding this issue.  :laugh:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2021, 13:49 »
I had a full set of VW Grand Prix alloys (made by Ronal) replaced on my previous Golf under warrantee when the out rim started to show signs of WW.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2021, 14:05 »
Just wondering if anyone has had issues with corrosion / white worm with their alloys? Car is only 18 months old so hoping it can be sorted with warranty…

Yes, unfortunately it happens with diamond cut alloys - often around the 2-3 year mark. The finish on diamond cut alloys isn’t particularly durable as the machined / diamond cut surface doesn’t provide a good ‘key’ for the clear lacquer to adhere to, so if it becomes damaged (e.g. by a small stone chip) and that damage isn’t repaired quickly, then water and road salt can get under the lacquer, causing white worm.

Here’s a recent case - if you use the forum search function you’ll find others.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287550.0

VW used to replace white wormed alloys under warranty without too many issues, although since Dieselgate, from what I’ve read on some forums they do seem to be taking a firmer line on warranty claims in general. IMHO VW will only replace your white wormed alloy if they consider the white worm is the result of a manufacturing defect. If the wheel shows any other signs of damage - e.g. stone chips, scuffs etc. - or it’s been refurbished before (they’ll probably take paint / lacquer thickness readings to check for signs of a previous refurb) then VW will almost certainly not replace the wheel under warranty.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2021, 16:21 »
I think I have been lucky with my 2010 GTI as wheels still almost as new. Scratches around one bolt hole probably from tyre fitter that I lacquered but otherwise had a good innings. Hope the performance GTI holds up - just about 18 months now.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2021, 17:03 »
It helps if you know someone that works in VW warranty. It's a long fight but don't give in, post some pictures of them at the minute so we can help advise.

FYI my father got 4 new alloys from BMW even after the old ones were all curbed, took a few months but got them think they were £3k if buying new.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2021, 18:36 »
I had the same issue on one of the diamond cut alloys on my Mk7.5 GTI and I raised it as a warranty claim with my local VW dealer. Their After Sales Manager, initially, tried to argue that it was down to stone damage but I wasn't letting him off that easily.

I stood my ground and pointed out that there was absolutely no evidence of any break in the lacquer, and that it was deteriorating under the surface, so was obviously a manufacturing defect. I had to book the car into their body shop, where they examined the wheel thoroughly (under a microscope, I think!) to check whether it had been repaired but they eventually conceded the case and ordered me a new wheel. It arrived and was fitted the following week.
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.