Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302285 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #960 on: 10 April 2017, 10:52 »
In fact in the latest price list it not only states that the GTD/ GTD Blueline and the GTI do come with fog lights, it even states the following as a caveat:

Front fog lights on GTD and GTI models incorporate LED technology, but do not feature static cornering function.

Which is correct as the cornering function was always done by the adaptive Xenon headlamps in the pre-facelift models and assume on the face lifted models, it's still done by the LED headlights ?
« Last Edit: 10 April 2017, 10:55 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #961 on: 10 April 2017, 11:28 »
In fact in the latest price list it not only states that the GTD/ GTD Blueline and the GTI do come with fog lights, it even states the following as a caveat:

Front fog lights on GTD and GTI models incorporate LED technology, but do not feature static cornering function.

Which is correct as the cornering function was always done by the adaptive Xenon headlamps in the pre-facelift models and assume on the face lifted models, it's still done by the LED headlights ?
This is getting confusing.

There are static cornering lights and dynamic curve lighting :rolleyes:

My Mk6 GTD only has dynamic curve lighting. Our A3 has both.

Static cornering lights - There are 2 extra bulbs.  One in each head light assembly. (Though some cars use the fog lights) They light up the road to the left or right of the main beam. They only work at slow speed and are activated along with the indicators or if the steering wheel is moved in either direction.

Dynamic curve lighting - the main headlights move and follow the direction of the car.

When I was looking at the Mk7.5 GTD the dealer switched on the headlights. I could see them move as they did their alignment and level checks. So it appears to have dynamic curve lighting.

I have never noticed any mention of the Mk7.5 performance Golfs having Static Cornering Lights. That's a shame as they work really well on our A3.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2017, 12:30 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #962 on: 10 April 2017, 11:38 »
The pre facelift Golf R/GTI/D have static cornering lights but they're built into the main headlight units themselves. The foglights are not used.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #963 on: 10 April 2017, 11:41 »
Yes, the Mk7's have a side pointing bulb in the main front lights that do the corner lighting thing.

The 7.5's.... I don't know - when I looked at a 7.5 the other day it seemed to have the same freznel panel in the side for the cornering lights.

I think VW are trying to say that the 7.5 doesn't use the fogs for it - which as Joe said, the 7 already never did.

Just as well really, as it seems the fogs have been deleted somehow!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #964 on: 10 April 2017, 13:01 »
This thread should be getting renamed the great foglight debate. 😴😴. Perhaps it's a good thing if it doesn't have fog lights, will stop those muppets who seem to think it's fine to drive with them on all the time cause it looks  :cool:
« Last Edit: 10 April 2017, 13:03 by CraigW »

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #965 on: 10 April 2017, 13:19 »
As Fred surmised, it seems that the MK7.5 LED headlights also have the static cornering lights as well ?

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #966 on: 10 April 2017, 13:23 »
Craig,

I here what you are saying and yes, those muppets annoy me as well. Thing is though I like the LED Fog lights on the current generation GTI/GTD models for the following reasons.

1. They are specific to the GTI / GTD models - no other has them.
2. They just complete the look at the front of the car.
3. Whilst I've probably only used them once or twice in proper foggy conditions, I've set my coming home / leaving home  lights to use DRL's and front Fog lights, as the wide pattern they throw makes them great as an approach light.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #967 on: 10 April 2017, 13:33 »
Craig,

I here what you are saying and yes, those muppets annoy me as well. Thing is though I like the LED Fog lights on the current generation GTI/GTD models for the following reasons.

1. They are specific to the GTI / GTD models - no other has them.
2. They just complete the look at the front of the car.
3. Whilst I've probably only used them once or twice in proper foggy conditions, I've set my coming home / leaving home  lights to use DRL's and front Fog lights, as the wide pattern they throw makes them great as an approach light.

I have mine set to come on with the main beam and the coming home lights together with the DRL's

Another thing, has anyone ever been blinded by the fog lights on a Mk7? I meet loads of them and they are about the only front fogs that has never blinded me.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #968 on: 10 April 2017, 14:17 »
As Fred surmised, it seems that the MK7.5 LED headlights also have the static cornering lights as well ?

That certainly looks like a Static Cornering Light to me.

So it would appear that the Mk7.5 has both Dynamic Curve Lighting and Static Cornering Lights :cool:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline SCOTTE

• Not said much yet
« Reply #969 on: 10 April 2017, 14:56 »
How do you set the fogs to come on for the coming home feature please?