Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302255 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #740 on: 06 March 2017, 11:08 »
I'm sure most people already know this, but I didn't realise that the Xenons have been replaced with LED headlights.

Was just looking at the pricelist brochure and the GTI/GTD/R have - "LED headlights with dynamic curve lighting"

I was driving a Merc at the weekend with fixed LED headlights. I was impressed with the brightness. However, on a single lane country road with 3 right angle bends, I missed the "curve lighting" that is on both our current cars.

Is "Dynamic Light Assist" the same option as the Audi Matrix headlights - "LED headlights with Dynamic Light Assist. Automatic sensors detect other road users and mask part of the main beam headlights appropriately. Only in conjunction with Lane Assist"

Though it will cost £310 + £630 with Lane assist. :undecided:
« Last Edit: 06 March 2017, 11:16 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #741 on: 06 March 2017, 11:33 »
Yes, the Dynamic Light Assist was previously available and uses shutters to mask main beam from other oncoming traffic rather than dip it.

It wasn't a very popular option on the Mk7 because it was expensive - and at ~£1k it still is!

You know that you get bendy LED lights still as standard yes?

Just been having a look at the configurator and it seems they have taken some stuff away since the 7.5 launch, which is weird. They were offering about 3 or 4 combinations of lane assist, light assist and rear assist, now they are gone!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #742 on: 06 March 2017, 12:10 »
Yes, the Dynamic Light Assist was previously available and uses shutters to mask main beam from other oncoming traffic rather than dip it.

It wasn't a very popular option on the Mk7 because it was expensive - and at ~£1k it still is!

... was the previous DLA a Xenon or LED tech?

I can see why the price would put people off. However, Dynamic Light Assist sounds really good. I was wondering if it is the same as Audis Matrix LED system as people on the forums think it is really good.

As we live in a rural location I think it would be a big improvement for night time driving. Yeah, yeah, I know we would be missing the traditional night time driving experience. On our narrow roads there would be less being blinded by oncoming traffic. Less braking and squinting. Less listening for the sound the wing mirror hitting the hedge and scraping down the side of the car. Less listening for the sound of muck hitting the side of the car to be sure I'm over far enough. And hopefully less muck up the side of the car as a result.

... I was joking with my wife at the weekend that one of my hobbies is trying to keep her car clean. I keep checking if there are any stages of the Rally World Championship near us as I'm sure she uses those roads

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #743 on: 06 March 2017, 12:27 »
Just been having a look at the configurator and it seems they have taken some stuff away since the 7.5 launch, which is weird. They were offering about 3 or 4 combinations of lane assist, light assist and rear assist, now they are gone!
Yeah, I thought that standard High Beam Assist was an option. Though it was not an option for the GTD/GTI/R in the brochure.  :huh: Maybe I was looking at another model :undecided:

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #744 on: 06 March 2017, 12:44 »
I was reading that Road Sign Recognition can automatically tell ACC to adjust the speed of the car. I wonder will the Golf have this setting :cool:

There was also some information about Laser headlights that are being developed by Audi. Apparently it can give increased illumination to verges and road markings. It can also show 2 lines on the road to indicate the direction of your car.

I wonder could it draw a white line down the middle of a country road. So other drivers know where their side of the road is!  :angry:
« Last Edit: 06 March 2017, 18:32 by Daz Auto »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #745 on: 06 March 2017, 13:24 »
Yeah, I thought that standard High Beam Assist was an option. Though it was not an option for the GTD/GTI/R in the brochure.  :huh: Maybe I was looking at another model :undecided:

It definitely was there previously, but now its listed as a £300 item and then when you click it, it wants to add Dynamic Beam and Lane Assist... what was a £150 option is now a grand... thanks VW.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #746 on: 06 March 2017, 13:25 »

Xenon. The Mk7 didn't have LED fronts.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #747 on: 06 March 2017, 18:06 »

Xenon. The Mk7 didn't have LED fronts.

GTE did.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #748 on: 06 March 2017, 18:49 »
It definitely was there previously, but now its listed as a £300 item and then when you click it, it wants to add Dynamic Beam and Lane Assist... what was a £150 option is now a grand... thanks VW.
High Beam Assist is still a £145 option on the SE/GT/GTE and R-Line.

Dynamic Light Assist is a much more advanced system. I'm not sure what functionality the Golf system will have. Though I was reading that the Audi system can track up to 8 vehicles. Dim illumination of road signs so that they do not dazzle drivers trying to read them. Identify pedestrians and blink the light directed at them to make them more aware of the car and the driver more aware of the pedestrians.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #749 on: 06 March 2017, 19:25 »
High Beam Assist is still a £145 option on the SE/GT/GTE and R-Line.

Dynamic Light Assist is a much more advanced system. I'm not sure what functionality the Golf system will have. Though I was reading that the Audi system can track up to 8 vehicles. Dim illumination of road signs so that they do not dazzle drivers trying to read them. Identify pedestrians and blink the light directed at them to make them more aware of the car and the driver more aware of the pedestrians.

There is/was high beam assist and active high beam assist. I had the active one in my cc. Basically when meeting cars or behind cars at night the main full beam was left on and the car put a shadow around the car you're meeting or driving behind.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17