Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302284 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #670 on: 13 February 2017, 10:18 »
Also, isn't that the point of modern DRL's - to make cars (of all colours) more visible ?

Yes, but why don't DRL's also use tail lights? One of life's great mysteries!
... because, if you don't see a car and pull out in front of it, they are unlikely to reverse into you at high speed? :undecided: :grin:

I did read that DRLs will only reduce your chances of having an accident by 3%-5%.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #671 on: 13 February 2017, 13:31 »
Also, isn't that the point of modern DRL's - to make cars (of all colours) more visible ?

Some do, Volvo is one.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #672 on: 13 February 2017, 14:04 »
Don't know if these reviews have been posted here, but:

Mk7.5 GTD Estate:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/volkswagen/vw-golf-gtd-estate-2017-review/

Mk7.5 1.5 TSI (don't know which trim level):

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/volkswagen/vw-golf-15-tsi-evo-150-dsg-2017-review/

I don't think anyone here who has owned a Mk7 will find any surprises in their words TBH
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #673 on: 13 February 2017, 16:42 »

Some do, Volvo is one.

Yes, the VCDS setting that puts the tail lights on with DRL's is called the Scandinavian setting. It's mandatory up there. I've been intending to get that done since I got my first Mk 7 in 2014. Oh well!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #674 on: 13 February 2017, 16:58 »

DNS (Standard for GTD/GTI/R)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guLKcV7o8kc

DNS Pro (1325 option)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0gIDG9WBVY

Gesture control - he was swiping right and the radio station selection was going left.... err ok VW, nice one!

***UPDATE*** that stupid swiping right is actually all of the gestures you can do with this system.

That's it.

No need to worry about doing something wrong when all you can do is lamely swipe sideways and then stare at the screen to see if you have managed to get the swipe correct whilst bouncing off of the central reservation, swerving across three lanes of traffic, the hard shoulder and finally driving up the embankment into the trees....

Its safer say VW...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #675 on: 13 February 2017, 17:34 »
BMW got loads of flack when they brought out the iDrive controller thingy, but it gets praise now. The ever increasing complexity of car systems demands something like that. Touch screens and gesture control take too much attention from proper car control. Almost as bad as texting while driving!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #676 on: 13 February 2017, 18:37 »
I believe BMW have said they will never have touch screen because they believe it to be dangerous...

I find it odd that audi don't use touch screen but other VAG do.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #677 on: 13 February 2017, 19:30 »
Touch screens and gesture control take too much attention from proper car control. Almost as bad as texting while driving!

Totally agree Talk-torque. IMO the balance of buttons/touch screen functionality of the gen2 MIB units just about struck a good balance. I know that lots of manufacturers are going the touch screen route, but IMO this smacks of form over function for the sake of a 'clean' look. Also with the touch screen being quite low down in the Golf, taking your eyes off the road to access the various menus looks to be unavoidable. So yes, almost as bad as texting while driving.

I wonder what one of the new touch screen units would cost to replace out of warranty?
« Last Edit: 13 February 2017, 22:40 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #678 on: 13 February 2017, 20:57 »
Expensive I'd imagine,  I'm sure someone could look up the prices but well into thousands I'd guess as a spare.

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #679 on: 13 February 2017, 23:43 »
Can honestly say the combination of BMW I drive with prof nav, and head up display is a long long way better than anything I have experienced from anyone else, including audi and virtual cockpit.

I don't know how many miles my 330d has  done because I Never look at the dash any more, the HUD gives you all you need - speed, cruise, phone book, I pod, full colour hi res sat nav directions, it's way safer than anything else, your eyes never leave the road, and combined with prof nav which you can easily navigate without looking down it really is head and shoulders above anything I have experienced before.

This gesture control bollocks is exactly that, a gimmick, filling a totally non existent gap in the market for another gadget that looks great in a showroom but has little practical use.  I really need to do a fly swat because it's so much effort to reach down .. Hmm

Wish manufacturers wouldn't meddle with stuff that works fine.. These sweeping indicator are just more of the same.. They looked cool on an R8 and wank on everything else that has them now from a mondeo to an audi q3 , I cringe when I see them.. I can just imagine the marketing meeting when someone said, you know these indicators we have today aren't doing the job anymore, let's make some new ones up.

How about spending the R&D budget on hardware and driving enjoyment not superficial crap.
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2