Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302261 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #550 on: 02 February 2017, 09:34 »

Whilst they aren't massively different, it's interesting to note, that under the same official tests, the new 7 Speed DSG gearbox (which I though would be more economical due to longer 7th Gear), actually mostly fares worse than the outgoing 6 speed box with regards to MPG and CO2 ?

I know the figures quoted are not achievable in the real world and are just for comparison purposes only, and that in reality they will probably be very similar, but why go to a more complex 7 speed box if it doesn't add any advantages (or am I missing them) ?

If you look the urban figure is slightly better.

I suspect that if you were to run the figures for the new WLTP test, the 7 speed will be better than the 6.

I still also think that the 7 speed will actually genuinely deliver better fuel economy at a constant 70mph...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #551 on: 02 February 2017, 10:16 »
I noticed the press release talks of GTD and GTD BlueLine

What the hell is that?

It suggests its a higher spec than a GTD:

beginning in the hatchback range with S and rising through SE, SE Nav, GT, R-Line, GTE, GTE Advance, e-Golf, GTD and GTD BlueLine to GTI, GTI Performance and, ultimately, R.

I guess tomorrow we can find out for sure....

From what I can make out in the brochure, the GTD Blueline comes with  17" all silver/painted version of Nogaro wheels to lower the Co2.

Standard GTD comes with 18" Seville wheels as seen on the white GTE on launch day.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #552 on: 02 February 2017, 10:44 »
From what I can make out in the brochure, the GTD Blueline comes with  17" all silver/painted version of Nogaro wheels to lower the Co2.

Standard GTD comes with 18" Seville wheels as seen on the white GTE on launch day.

It must be more than just that though.

The official blurb says:

New BlueLine trim
To meet CO2 thresholds, we’ve introduced the GTD BlueLine Hatch and Estate models. We expect the GTD BlueLine trim to appeal to the 25 per cent of corporate fleet companies that have a 120g/km CO2 policy. In BlueLine models, an adjustment is made to standardised specification to target a specific CO2 threshold.  For example, the facelifted Golf Hatch GTD trim (with an 18-inch alloy as standard) has a CO2 value of 122g/km, while the Golf Hatch GTD BlueLine trim (with a 17-inch alloy as standard) delivers a CO2 value of 116g/km and improved fuel efficiency.

I don't think the wheels are the only thing and from what I've read about reducing wheel size, that's far too much of a reduction for just a wheel size drop of 1". It must be also a significant tyre width reduction plus something else they haven't mentioned...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #553 on: 02 February 2017, 11:05 »

It must be more than just that though.

The official blurb says:

New BlueLine trim
To meet CO2 thresholds, we’ve introduced the GTD BlueLine Hatch and Estate models. We expect the GTD BlueLine trim to appeal to the 25 per cent of corporate fleet companies that have a 120g/km CO2 policy. In BlueLine models, an adjustment is made to standardised specification to target a specific CO2 threshold.  For example, the facelifted Golf Hatch GTD trim (with an 18-inch alloy as standard) has a CO2 value of 122g/km, while the Golf Hatch GTD BlueLine trim (with a 17-inch alloy as standard) delivers a CO2 value of 116g/km and improved fuel efficiency.

I don't think the wheels are the only thing and from what I've read about reducing wheel size, that's far too much of a reduction for just a wheel size drop of 1". It must be also a significant tyre width reduction plus something else they haven't mentioned...

Unless it has AdBlue but they haven't announced that yet?

VW did something similar with the last versions of the mk6, I remember wanting to go for a mk6 GT but the only version available at the end was a GT BluemotionTech which had 16" wheels as standard to lower the Co2 (as opposed to 17" standard, 18" optional) with no option to change these.

Offline Rh83

• Not said much yet
« Reply #554 on: 02 February 2017, 11:08 »
On another note - Golf GTI Performance seems to have disappeared/not made it. Not even in the downloadable pricing packs. Anyone heard any news of whether this is going to hit the UK? Or are they still fixing the website?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #555 on: 02 February 2017, 11:41 »
Well interestingly, in the standard blub on the VW website (not in the brochure), it does say the following when looking at the GTI headline details:

Differential lock

The optional front differential lock and progressive steering, (which is fitted as standard), make driving on winding roads in your Golf GTI even more enjoyable. For enhanced driving dynamics, better traction and more direct steering control.

But if you look in the new pricelist under options, there's no mention of a differential lock option ? Maybe it's coming later and rather than opting for the performance pack, now the new GTI already has the increased power as standard, maybe you will be able to add the electronic differential lock as an option soon ? Then the only thing that is missing is the larger brakes with the "GTI" logo calipers ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #556 on: 02 February 2017, 12:00 »
I notice that the CO2 figure for the 3 door R with 7 speed DSG is 160g/km yet for an S3 hatch, which is supposedly the same engine, it is 146gm/km and the manual is 180 vs 162
Are they the same engine?
« Last Edit: 02 February 2017, 12:02 by mike. »
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #557 on: 02 February 2017, 12:12 »
I notice that the CO2 figure for the 3 door R with 7 speed DSG is 160g/km yet for an S3 hatch, which is supposedly the same engine, it is 146gm/km and the manual is 180 vs 162
Are they the same engine?

CO2 output is a product of all sorts of elements of a car design, not just its engine and gearbox.

What does a S3 hatch weigh? What size wheels does it have? What is the drag coefficient? What is the electrical consumption?

Its all of these reasons why I am questioning a 2014 GTD vs a 2017 GTD 7.5 is a massive jump in CO2.

Something is not right here...

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #558 on: 02 February 2017, 12:23 »
Yea, hadn't thought of that,  just checked the figures and the Golf is 53kg heavier than the S3 hatch
Also noticed the Golf is 380NM whereas the S3 is 400NM so looks like some sort of difference in tune.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #559 on: 02 February 2017, 15:29 »
Yea, hadn't thought of that,  just checked the figures and the Golf is 53kg heavier than the S3 hatch
Also noticed the Golf is 380NM whereas the S3 is 400NM so looks like some sort of difference in tune.

Aluminium doors and a few other body parts brings the S3 weight down, but all other things being equal - a 3.6% drop on weight does not amount to being  almost 10% more frugal (CO2 output being directly related to fuel usage. I can't see the S3 being any more aerodynamic than the R, and electrical load requirements will be almost identical. Most likely explanation is that VW are now using the new "more honest/more realistic" test method for emissions and fuel economy and Audi are using the old method because the scandal heat is all on VW.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.