Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302288 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #460 on: 09 January 2017, 22:37 »
I'd find it hard to understand anyone who's used to a Golf even considering a Polo / A1 sized car (sporty variants or otherwise). They might be a bit of a hoot to drive...
... I doubt I would get tired of a car that was fun to drive. And the Golf is getting quite big. Some reviews have said that the Polo GTI is closer to the original GTI experience.

My experience is that small cars with big engines are very enjoyable to drive.

Our A3 was bought for comfort and economy, not performance. I love driving our A3, but experience has shown me that I would soon get bored of it.

Experience has also taught me that firm suspension and low profile tyres are not ideal for my local roads.

... this all brings me full circle back to another Golf, in my continuing quest to find the best car for me.

Mk5 1.9 TDI - very comfortable, but boring.
Mk6 GTD - enjoyable to drive, but quite firm - even with adjustable suspension.
Mk7.5 GTI PP with DCC - I'm prepared to accept the loss of economy and some comfort, for the gain in performance.
(then maybe a Mk8 Golf R, but a lot could happen between now and 2020)

My cousin's Fiesta ST is a very fun drive, but the interior is crap, and the Lupo GTI was a hoot - 125PS in a tiny car that weighed nowt (plenty of Aluminium used) back in 99, I wish i'd bought one rather than ragging my mate's at every opportunity and buying a boring 105PS Polo 1.9TDI myself instead.

My favourite Golf has always been the MK2 - The current Polo is pretty much equivalent to the MK2 in size. All cars are getting pretty bloated now - one of the reasons you have to go looking for the "Sheldon spot" when parked up in town, supermarkets etc. You used to have to be in a big car to get the comfort you'd need on a long journey, that is definitely no longer the case, and I don't do many long (>100 mile) journeys. The Golf is very well equipped compared to the Polo, and as you can see with the S1, by the time you spec it up to the S3, you might as well have bought an S3. I think I could definitely live with a Polo GTI if the next version exceeds the current one.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #461 on: 09 January 2017, 23:39 »
My cousin's Fiesta ST is a very fun drive, but the interior is crap, and the Lupo GTI was a hoot - 125PS.

I think I could definitely live with a Polo GTI if the next version exceeds the current one.
Lot of reviewers rave about that Fiesta ST.

I wonder do the Polo GTI and the Fiesta ST have the tramping issues?

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #462 on: 10 January 2017, 07:51 »
Daz: My cousin's Fiesta doesn't, but it was shod on Conti 5s from the factory and he has Michelin PS3s on it now. With the right tyres on it is hard to induce tramping in the GTD, with the wrong tyres on it is too easy.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #463 on: 10 January 2017, 08:51 »
I think the days of dropping in an over-powered engine into an inadequate chassis and "enjoying" the scrabbly near death experience that only a handful of elite drivers manage to drive hard and live to tell the tale are indeed over and done with.

If that's your fun, then probably you need to do a bit of heavy mechanical upgrades because no corporation is going to field a litigation nightmare like that any more.

And it probably is all about the litigation and less about their desire to make your ride calm and comfortable.
... what are you talking about? :undecided:

Watch the second half of this video - it shows the Polo GTI out braking a Golf GTI by over a car length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiKbFb_lpbA

What tyres did the two cars have on I wonder?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #464 on: 10 January 2017, 09:51 »
With the right tyres on it is hard to induce tramping in the GTD, with the wrong tyres on it is too easy.

Can't agree with you there Matt.
I changed mine to Michelin thinking it would sort it but it can still be really bad.
I know you had problems with the Bridgestones, did you change them before going over to the R?
One of the reasons I'm jumping to an R is the lack of grip.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #465 on: 10 January 2017, 13:15 »
With the right tyres on it is hard to induce tramping in the GTD, with the wrong tyres on it is too easy.

Can't agree with you there Matt.
I changed mine to Michelin thinking it would sort it but it can still be really bad.
I know you had problems with the Bridgestones, did you change them before going over to the R?
One of the reasons I'm jumping to an R is the lack of grip.

The GTD kept its Bridgestones - if i'd changed tyres and it solved the tramping, I doubt i'd have got an R - I was fine with the GTD's output with the DTUK box on. The R will give you off the line traction, which will solve tramping, but if the tyres are crap your on the move grip will still be bad - as it was for my R on Bridgestones, promptinge to get the PSS put on.

Does your GTD tramp without a DTUK box on now you have Michelins (I am right in thinking you have a DTUK box?).

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #466 on: 10 January 2017, 13:55 »
With regard to the tramping that people are talking about, how hard do you have to takeoff for it to start?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #467 on: 10 January 2017, 14:05 »
With regard to the tramping that people are talking about, how hard do you have to takeoff for it to start?

When I had a GTI PP with Bridgestones on, I wouldn't even be pulling away hard and it would tramp.  Also had Bridgestones on my R, didn't have any issues from a standing start but I did notice understeer when pushing hard (which I shouldn't have because I wasn't driving that hard).  All in all, its a sh!te tyre.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #468 on: 10 January 2017, 14:39 »
I've got the Bridgestones on my Gti pp and so far they are fine. Granted I haven't done much spirited driving yet so we'll see what happens when I'm past 750-1000 miles.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #469 on: 10 January 2017, 15:32 »
The first time I attempted a fast getaway at the lights I made a complete arse of myself :embarrassed:
The road was damp but it wasn't raining. I tried to out accelerate a sh!tty little Renault that wanted to race for some reason.
I put my foot down but F all happened apart from an enormous amount of wheel spin and a pair of tail lights disappearing into the distance :sad:
I've defended the Bridgestones  in the past, but that was before this embarrassing spectacle occurred.
I will be changing them (if they ever wear out) :whistle:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16