Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302284 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #440 on: 08 January 2017, 15:39 »
Likely that makes the 7 speed a PP only optional extra - more money for PP, more money again for 7 speed DSG.

Kerching.

If I were to get another R next time, it would be quite the dilemma as to whether I would get a 7 speed DSG. I strongly dislike DSG, but will there be a real-life worthwhile gap between manual and DSG mpg to make it worth it? Showroom tax savings are more than offset against the box cost itself.

I do love the R I have right now, but if I had to consider another car in a year's time (when my R approaches 3 years old), I find myself oddly drawn to a Polo GTI, the Polo will be getting an MQB update next year, and current GFVs on VW finance illustrations indicate great residuals (about 50% retained after 4 years - much better than the Golf GTI). Hopefully it will have plenty of tech, so you don't have to hammer the options list to make it reasonable.

I'm so used to 300PS and no tramping issues now, I think it would be hard to drop 100PS and unflappable traction  in the Polo, the wife's 116PS A1 TDI is nippy, but still feels massively dull to drive (I thought the same of my GTD until I got the DTUK box).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #441 on: 08 January 2017, 16:35 »
I do love the R I have right now, but if I had to consider another car in a year's time (when my R approaches 3 years old), I find myself oddly drawn to a Polo GTI, the Polo will be getting an MQB update next year...
... what about the nextgen Audi S1? Though it might not be available for 2 years.

We had an A1 Sline as a courtesy car for week. We both found it uncomfortable. Can't imagine the S1 or Polo GTI would be any different. Though I do wonder if DCC will be available on the new model MQB A0 platform.

I'll probably be buying a GTI PP this year. I know the Golf R is a better car, but the GTI ticks more boxes for me.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2017, 20:58 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #442 on: 08 January 2017, 22:05 »
I do love the R I have right now, but if I had to consider another car in a year's time (when my R approaches 3 years old), I find myself oddly drawn to a Polo GTI, the Polo will be getting an MQB update next year...
... what about the nextgen Audi S1? Though it might not be available for 2 years.

We had an A1 Sline as a courtesy car for week. We both found it uncomfortable. Can't imagine the S1 or Polo GTI would be any different. Though I do wonder if DCC will be available on the new model MQB A0 platform.

I'll probably be buying a GTI PP this year. I know the Golf R is a better car, but the GTI ticks more boxes for me.

The S1 and S-line have bone crunchingly firm suspension, the wife's A1 Sport is a little less firm (one of the reasons I didn't get her an S-line, but they have that same lack of refinement and crashiness that the MK5 and MK6 Golf ride has.

The MQB MK7 is both firm and refined on the performance models, I expect the next gen Polo to catch up on that score when it is out with the MQB "A0" platform. DCC is available on the current Polo GTI, but it is a cheap option (about £240 when I last checked), so i'm assuming it is not as sophisticated as the MK7 Golf's - maybe the same set up as the Scirocco independent axle control, not 4 wheel independent system.

For me the Polo doesn't look girly, but the A1 does a bit (I really wanted the wife to get a Polo GTI rather than an A1) - if we're talking about what would be MY car next time, unless the A1 mans-up a bit, i'd rather have the Polo out of the 2.

Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #443 on: 08 January 2017, 22:55 »
DCC is available on the current Polo GTI, but it is a cheap option (about £240 when I last checked), so i'm assuming it is not as sophisticated as the MK7 Golf's...

For me the Polo doesn't look girly... i'd rather have the Polo out of the 2.
I briefly considered the Polo GTI. The adjustable suspension has only 2 options and the Sport mode is for the track.

The Polo GTI would be a fun car, but not as refined as the Golf. It will be interesting to see what refinements the new model brings.

I'm surprised you like the current Polo as it looks similar in style to the Mk6 Golf - part of the reason why I considered one.

I would have a Polo R if they bring one out. Though I would need it to have proper adjustable suspension - the main reason why I ruled out the Polo GTI.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #444 on: 09 January 2017, 11:31 »

I do love the R I have right now, but if I had to consider another car in a year's time (when my R approaches 3 years old), I find myself oddly drawn to a Polo GTI, the Polo will be getting an MQB update next year, and current GFVs on VW finance illustrations indicate great residuals (about 50% retained after 4 years - much better than the Golf GTI). Hopefully it will have plenty of tech, so you don't have to hammer the options list to make it reasonable.

I had a look at the Polo GTI last year and was bitterly disappointed with the standard spec. To get it anywhere near the spec of the standard Golf GTI, it was fast approaching the cost of  the Golf.

The S1 and S-line have bone crunchingly firm suspension, the wife's A1 Sport is a little less firm (one of the reasons I didn't get her an S-line, but they have that same lack of refinement and crashiness that the MK5 and MK6 Golf ride has.

Its very subjective. I had the A1 SLine for 2 years and to be honest found it much the same as my current GTD certainly not bone crushing as you describe it.
Over pot holes it was maybe slightly crashier but on normal uneven roads I felt it was just the same.

I think it all depends what car you are coming from.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #445 on: 09 January 2017, 11:36 »
I had a look at the Polo GTI last year and was bitterly disappointed with the standard spec. To get it anywhere near the spec of the standard Golf GTI, it was fast approaching the cost of  the Golf.

I looked at one the other day and you are right.

I also looked at a non-GTD golf bluemotion and by the time I'd added the bells and whistles to that, the GTD was cheaper by quite a bit. Which is weird, but I guess that is what the package is all about.

Hunting around for cars like I am now, you quickly realise what the basic GTD/GTI offers - its a lot more than the competition!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #446 on: 09 January 2017, 12:53 »
Hunting around for cars like I am now, you quickly realise what the basic GTD/GTI offers - its a lot more than the competition!

Absolutely.

Due to us already having a GTD, I wanted to get my wife something else. She hates the buying experience and actually doesn't really care what she drives but her only stipulation was heated seats, keyless and Nav.
So I was left to do all the running about to pick a car.
Despite looking at various cars I kept coming back to the GTI as it had the cheapest monthlies by far for the equipment it had.
I'd have been crazy to go elsewhere.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #447 on: 09 January 2017, 12:59 »
I suspect the facelift performance packages may not include as much.

Those options soon add up. My list of options is over 4k.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #448 on: 09 January 2017, 13:10 »
I'd find it hard to understand anyone who's used to a Golf even considering a Polo / A1 sized car (sporty variants or otherwise). They might be a bit of a hoot to drive for a bit (until the novelty wears off) but I'd soon get very tired of the compromised dimensions and general feeling that I'm driving the dealers loaner / my Mum's shopping trolley.

Not that the Golf is a limousine but still...
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #449 on: 09 January 2017, 14:24 »
The size thing probably would bother me - I've already come down in size to a Golf.

More than that really is that the Polo is a generation behind with switch gear, let alone running gear. I suppose if I was driving a Passat now I'd think the same about the Golf...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC